Away Match Day Thread 18/05/2024: L1 Play-Off Final - Bolton vs Oxford

MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a great day for our football club!!!
A pretty much flawless performance from start to finish. I think Bolton thought they had this final won before even kicking a football, the way they celebrated on the pitch in the semifinal with players drinking bottles of Beer in the stands. They got what they deserved and so did we. In fact the winning margin could have been more.
Every single one of our players all put in a fantastic performance. Now we have championship football next season with no Micky mouse cups to play in and straight into the FA cup Third round.
Well done Des and the lads and well done to all our magnificent fans.
COYY

As the game went on, and perhaps from the first whistle, it was clear we were totally bang up for it but we contained it so well and didn’t let the emotion of it all get in the way. That tackle from Longy was like ‘welcome to the party, it’s show time’. That set the tone.
We were so comfortable with the ball it was outrageous at times. I think RR did a bit of trickery in our half at one point, just to the left of our goal. We didn’t put a foot wrong and only 1 harsh yellow. Our discipline was second to none. That was a performance I never could have imagined was possible.

Their central defender didn’t have a clue at times what to do with the ball and how to create a pass.

Over the moon for Cam Bran. I loved his reaction when he lifted the cup and got a slightly louder cheer than everyone else.

Anyone hear his interview after the game? He said he knew we’d go up since the Exeter game and dreamt we’d win today.

Waiting for Brodetskies book ‘How to turn a season around and win promotion: A masterclass’

Last edited:
My lucky pants and ignoring the match day build up thread worked once again.

Conspiracy maybe? I only read the match build up thread once since before the Peterborough game and that was Lincoln.

Mighty glad we are out of L1, it looks very strong next year. Can’t wait for the fixtures and it will be nice to have a season where we will see results differently - we wouldn’t really accept a home draw to anyone in L1 but there will be games next year where a home point will feel like a victory in L1.
So after a hugely positive day, your post implies that league one will be tougher than the Championship next season .
That’s good to know .
See you at the Etiad in 24/26

Watched the build up and first half recorded since got back home. All they were on about time after time about the 0-5 defeat, completely written off before a ball was kicked.
Well Bolton, enjoy your visit to The Gas while we go to Ashton Gate to play City.

King Des take a bow that was a sensational, emphatic, totally brilliant all round display.
Seemed too easy at times. What the hell just happened! Pure, unadulterated joy all in dreamland.

So glad I made it, hours and hours of driving and queuing for the train but finally heading back to Oxford Parkway-wales-Cambridge and home!!!
Glad you made it in the end, hope your boy loved it.

Conspiracy maybe? I only read the match build up thread once since before the Peterborough game and that was Lincoln.

Last time for me was also Lincoln 😂

I think we can safely put to bed we play rubbish on sky claim too. That's now 4 games in 1 month on Sky and we've won 2 and drew the other 2.

Just walked in the door back in Burton on trent. Safely say that is the best day I have ever experienced as an Oxford utd fan possibly the best since the milk cup final the week I was born. Extra special having my dad with me as he is getting on now late 70s so you have to treasure these moments I have some great video's great pictures of the day.

From minute one what a performance everything left on the pitch it was so easy first half I could not believe it Murphy briliant of course Rodriguez though 2 or 3 occasions right in front of us he had Bolton players all over him and came out with the ball! Not much else to say. Apart from I may regret those last couple of beers and curry I just had..

No more playing burton over the road and I could not be happier.

Now to charge my dead phone look at some reactions on forums twitter etc and rewatch the highlights 100times over no sleep just yet.

Night everyone

Just got home. Train broke down at Cosham. 7 year old was still singing until he fell asleep at Basingstoke. Today will live in the memories for a lifetime. Bolton fans were all saying how we deserved it. I love my club. Roll on next season.
And that is what supporting a football team is all about! Memories especially those with close family and friends. Something that those who oppose us will never experience or understand COYY

One thing I did notice half way through the second half was that Bolton seemed completely shot and didn't have a clue what to do. That's down to Des's tactics and the desire and effort of the whole team.
Totally nullified everything they had it was an amazing experience I have recorded the match at the father in laws and am going round to watch it all again tomorrow I can't wait to sit through all the prematch Bolton sky love in knowing that we rocked up and embarrassed them and spoiled the party. Love it

Scarcely believable that we put in a performance that good in the biggest game on the biggest stage. Des schooled Evatt in every way possible. We just looked on a whole other technical level to Bolton today - passing was crisper, control was better, it was epic.

There's not really much point going through the team analyzing the performances, and trying to decide who was MotM, because they were all utterly brilliant.

So instead, will pose the question - 'Which of the last four touches for the second goal was the most exquisite?'. Ruben bringing the ball out of the sky like it was a bag of cement? Ruben pinging an inch perfect through ball into Murphy in stride? Murphy's perfect first touch to take it round the keeper? Or the tight angle finish?

Back
Top Bottom