Current Player #2 Sam Long

Looks like these hamstring injuries have caught up with him. Literally cannot run or turn.

Fin Steven’s needed back and fast.
He moves like James Henry. I’d take him out at all costs next week, not just because he’s been so awful, but because he’s broadcasted himself as vulnerable to our next opponent. They not only know they can target him and get success, they know how. Back to back games the wingers has cut one way, then cut back and he’s run 5 yards past them in both directions!! He’s a sitting duck for any winger who’s done his homework. Get Smyth back in there for goodness sake. He at least gives you a forward pass.

The bloke is a joke.

Teams that get promoted do not have Sam Long esq defenders at full back.

Des’s pal has the safest place in the Xl.
Absolutely agree he's not good enough but the Des' mate comment is a bit pointless, unless you'd genuinely play an unfit Smyth or Negru there today. They were also both horrendous last time they played right back.

When Stevens is back I'd have him there ahead of Long but I don't think he's good enough either, although he'll certainly play at a higher level. If Smyth is fit enough for Tuesday I'm not against him despite being awful there against Pompey.

What’s happened to him? He’s embarrassingly easy to dribble past at the moment
he was poor tues night 1st half- better in 2nd half on tues though

He doesnt seem to get much help from the midfield since he's come back from injury. I thought he played well v Blackpool, today he wasn't backed up often, but, that didnt cost us- we kept a clean sheet

Now GO'D has been punted out, ( he scored again today btw), Sam Long seems (again) to be one of our own homegrown players, who some elements like to blame for everything

Theres a yellow rain warning tonight, I half expect Long to be blamed by some for any localised flooding come tomorrow morning

Last edited:
He a
Who else would you play there? 'Des's pal'. FFS
He and Des have known each other, via OUFC for over a decade.

We haven’t got many options in that area currently, but that doesn’t make Long’s performance anymore palatable last Tuesday or today. He has been a long way short.

The fact he’s part of a promotion aspiring side is incredible.

The bloke is a joke.

Teams that get promoted do not have Sam Long esq defenders at full back.

Des’s pal has the safest place in the Xl.

Your comments are a joke.

Sam Long got absolutely roasted today but was solid in the air and is a big contributing factor to our improved defending at set pieces.

As for the Des's pal comment, that's embarrassing. He's the only fit right back at the club. The only alternative would have been to play 3 at the back, and even then he'd have been a shoe in for the 3rd CB anyway.

Your comments are a joke.

Sam Long got absolutely roasted today but was solid in the air and is a big contributing factor to our improved defending at set pieces.

As for the Des's pal comment, that's embarrassing. He's the only fit right back at the club. The only alternative would have been to play 3 at the back, and even then he'd have been a shoe in for the 3rd CB anyway.

Hang on, my comments are a joke but Sam Long got roasted today?? 🤣🤣

Egg, please. Calm down and worry about the bushes in the Kass Stad car park or ‘her game too’ initiatives rather than the football. We all know you have a connection to Sam Long that will see you get ultra defensive.

Sam Long is crap. He has been for some time and it would seem recent opposition are also picking him out as an area to exploit. Coincidence? I doubt it.

He a

He and Des have known each other, via OUFC for over a decade.

We haven’t got many options in that area currently, but that doesn’t make Long’s performance anymore palatable last Tuesday or today. He has been a long way short.

The fact he’s part of a promotion aspiring side is incredible.

How is that Des's fault that we only have Long as an option at RB? Stevens and Smyth are both injured.

In the summer we need to sign a decent right back (something Manning didn't do as Stevens isn't good enough defensively either)

Manning left so many gaps in the depth in this squad that it wasn't possible to fix all these issues in January.

Manning left so many gaps in the depth in this squad that it wasn't possible to fix all these issues in January.
I really don’t think you can blame Manning if the season doesn’t end up a success. (Apart from leaving us of course)

Think I remember reading somewhere that Bennet can lay left or right back? If so might be an option.

All of Longs best performances recently have come as a centre back, the qualities he has now are those more suited to centre back, the injuries he has had have taken a yard of pace and he struggles at full back now.

His career will be at centre back for me now, whether that will be with us is another matter.

he was poor tues night 1st half- better in 2nd half on tues though

He doesnt seem to get much help from the midfield since he's come back from injury. I thought he played well v Blackpool, today he wasn't backed up often, but, that didnt cost us- we kept a clean sheet

Now GO'D has been punted out, ( he scored again today btw), Sam Long seems (again) to be our own homegrown player, who some elements like to blame for everything

Theres a yellow rain warning tonight, I half expect Long to be blamed by some for any localised flooding come tomorrow morning
This is absolute nonsense. There are a few posters who have agenda's both positive and negative but generally most call it as they see it. If Long is getting called out by lots of people it's not an agenda, it's because he's not good enough.

The O'Donkor comment is also silly. Pretty much everyone agrees that he's not good enough and almost all of them agree that he's been stitched up having to stay around the squad when he should have been going out on loan to non league, where he's unsurprisingly doing pretty well.

If you think that Long and especially G'OD are good enough to currently get us promoted from this league then I'd suggest it's your standards who are out of sync. There's no witch hunt because players are homegrown, we'd all prefer a full team of local lads. They need to be judged the same as everyone else though, giving them extra leeway because they were born nearby isn't helpful and is where you start thinking people are picking on them. If they're not good enough it isn't out of line to say so.

This is absolute nonsense. There are a few posters who have agenda's both positive and negative but generally most call it as they see it. If Long is getting called out by lots of people it's not an agenda, it's because he's not good enough.

The O'Donkor comment is also silly. Pretty much everyone agrees that he's not good enough and almost all of them agree that he's been stitched up having to stay around the squad when he should have been going out on loan to non league, where he's unsurprisingly doing pretty well.

If you think that Long and especially G'OD are good enough to currently get us promoted from this league then I'd suggest it's your standards who are out of sync. There's no witch hunt because players are homegrown, we'd all prefer a full team of local lads. They need to be judged the same as everyone else though, giving them extra leeway because they were born nearby isn't helpful and is where you start thinking people are picking on them. If they're not good enough it isn't out of line to say so.
its a forum , different opinions are voiced

its a forum , different opinions are voiced
And that's fair enough. It's my opinion that actually the local lads get more slack than other players and if they are taking flack it must really be deserved.

As an example there were plenty of people on here suggesting Josh Johnson and James Golding could be part of the squad this season and they've gone out on loan at a much lower level, which will long term be better for them and by extension us.

I really can't see how anyone can watch us play and not think right back is a glaring weakness.

No but the lack of a decent Right back in this squad is his doing.
Let's be honest Robinson left Manning a massive mess to clear up.Most of us on here said it would take 3 windows to get it sorted. So I don't think we're doing g so bad at the moment.But yes definitely needs replacing in the summer.

Hang on, my comments are a joke but Sam Long got roasted today?? 🤣🤣

Egg, please. Calm down and worry about the bushes in the Kass Stad car park or ‘her game too’ initiatives rather than the football. We all know you have a connection to Sam Long that will see you get ultra defensive.

Sam Long is crap. He has been for some time and it would seem recent opposition are also picking him out as an area to exploit. Coincidence? I doubt it.
How is he Des’s pal? Just because he was at the club when Des was 1st at the club?

Long is the only fit right back currently, I’m sure once Stevens is fit again we will see abit more rotation in that position.

Guess what though? We can’t bring anyone else in now and the squad is what it is now until the summer.
It’s not a secret we need a better right back for next season but do you think constantly slagging Sam Long off is going to make him suddenly play better? The guy is clearly going through a bad patch performance wise and I’d hope, considering he is one of our own, fans would be a bit more supportive and try and pick him up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom