General 2020/21 New Kit

It's not like the overall sales will go down because it's a couple of weeks late.

There is only a finite length of time in which a football shirt is relevant and therefore saleable I.e. the end of the season.

You genuinely don’t think they would sell more shirts in nine months rather than eight? Your point about getting the design right is somewhat moot as they really have had plenty of time to work on it, it’s not as if the design has to be made especially in the month of August.

(I do appreciate they may not wish to make an order before it is confirmed that a football season shall definitely take place!)

Your point about getting the design right is somewhat moot as they really have had plenty of time to work on it, it’s not as if the design has to be made especially in the month of August.

Back in June @Nuseibeh tweeted that the kit design had already been planned way in advance, I suspect the delays are down to sponsorship. I'd refer to an earlier post of mine, repteated below....

"It's quite feasible that different sponsors were waiting to see which league Oxford United would be playing before comitting themselves, or negotiating the size of their offer.

Remember, its not just the main shirt sponsors, back-of-shirt and short sponsorship would also need sorting. There were a lot of ifs-n-buts until the Wembley match.

Once League 1 was confirmed, talks with sposnsors would have needed to be finalised, counter offers made, or even new sponsors found.

So assuming the sponsors are finalised, artwork will need to be sent to (Puma's?) factory and production time alotted. Once produced, the garments then need to be shipped to the UK.

- In adition, the days of getting 'blank shirts' manufactured first, and then getting sponsors screen printed locally are over. Today shirt sponsors are added when the fabrics are produced, prior to being sewn together.

There is only a finite length of time in which a football shirt is relevant and therefore saleable I.e. the end of the season.

You genuinely don’t think they would sell more shirts in nine months rather than eight? Your point about getting the design right is somewhat moot as they really have had plenty of time to work on it, it’s not as if the design has to be made especially in the month of August.

(I do appreciate they may not wish to make an order before it is confirmed that a football season shall definitely take place!)
See @oxfordkits reply, this is what I meant regarding the finalised design of the shirt.

And yes, they probably will sell as many shirts in 8 months as in 9. How many shirts do you think they sell in April? A few, but due to heavy discounts. Most people who want the shirt will buy within the first few weeks of release, whether thats in July, August, or September.

See @oxfordkits reply, this is what I meant regarding the finalised design of the shirt.

And yes, they probably will sell as many shirts in 8 months as in 9. How many shirts do you think they sell in April? A few, but due to heavy discounts. Most people who want the shirt will buy within the first few weeks of release, whether thats in July, August, or September.

Touche - interesting stuff about the design.

Ummmm.....I would however think that with appropriate marketing, there would be a month more sales over the UK summer, and the same number of sales at the tail end of the season, as you correctly say to povvy gits like me due to discounts (but surely still above cost?)

Daresay you're probably right then, but when times are tight, I am mainly extolling any advantage we can get. We both know folk who would buy eight different Oxford shirts per season if they were released, and probably United-branded bog-roll and prophylactics, too.

Touche - interesting stuff about the design.

Ummmm.....I would however think that with appropriate marketing, there would be a month more sales over the UK summer, and the same number of sales at the tail end of the season, as you correctly say to povvy gits like me due to discounts (but surely still above cost?)

Daresay you're probably right then, but when times are tight, I am mainly extolling any advantage we can get. We both know folk who would buy eight different Oxford shirts per season if they were released, and probably United-branded bog-roll and prophylactics, too.
I think Swindon branded bog roll would sell a lot better!

Palace new kits - also Puma. If we went similar, we could be looking at a sort of variation on 2010-11! (Assuming we're still with Puma?)

Wouldn't mind a variation on that away/third, to be fair. Always like black or white kit.
That picture looks like what would happen if Marvel Universe had a draconian wage cap imposed overnight

My first choice for our away top would be Rochdales home strip from last season. Blue and black vertical stripes. Don’t think we have had that in the past. An inter Milan type top to balance the ac Milan top we had in the early 90s.

KR is wearing a white training top in the video interview with iFollow. That's not part of last years stuff so must be from the new 20/21 'collection'! Hopefully means its on its way!

Training stuff is always revealed first - usually in line with first return to pre season photos. Expect to see those tomorrow.

Kit will be out when they have finalised sponsors I suspect. Therefore it'll happen some day between tomorrow and the day before the start of the season!

KR is wearing a white training top in the video interview with iFollow. That's not part of last years stuff so must be from the new 20/21 'collection'! Hopefully means its on its way!
Yes, he says they decided on a light colour because weather at the training camp in Portugal would be very hot! Now they are going to Wales instead - so it turns out something rainproof might have been more appropriate ;)

Yes, he says they decided on a light colour because weather at the training camp in Portugal would be very hot! Now they are going to Wales instead - so it turns out something rainproof might have been more appropriate ;)

If the training shirts and whole training range are white too I could see it becoming almost as popular as our away shirt from the last season.

I would love a return to the yellow/gold and white striped kit we used to have that was a beauty

Still pretty warm where they’re going.

If the training gear is white, then I reckon it's unlikely the away kit will be. They usually go for a different colour so that the subs warming up along the side of the pitch don't get confused for players on it.

So some league cup games might be as early as 29th August.
It could have been ours if the draw had been different.

That's only 11 days away, surely the reveal is imminent?

Back
Top Bottom