Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
UTO’s post provides the final nail in the coffin for anybody still convinced that this summer has been anything to do with the board being unable or unwilling to spend. Money is not an issue, but clearly focus and a management clusterf*ck is.

The board needs to sort the structure of the club out ASAP. No individual should have unlimited power and nobody to answer to. It’s unhealthy and counterproductive in the immediacy, but more crucially it sets the business up for a firestorm when that figure eventually disappears.
Ryan, if there’s money available then why are we not getting these players over the line?

Once you’ve settled in after work Scotchers, (appreciate you’ve been working in a difficult environment on a very hot day and it’s the weekend) and caught up on things, I’d be very interested to hear your response and detailed take on Ryan’s posts from earlier today! They paint a worrying and troublesome picture of what’s going on behind the scenes, and many of us, from both sides of the fence are struggling to feel positive at all as a result.

I’m not trying to be funny or argue with anyone, but as probably the most consistently positive poster on here, who backs KR and everything OUFC, it would be interesting to know what you think and hear your views. Thanks

I've skimmed through some of these pages so I'll give a general view rather than answering more specific questions.

Firstly, I've never pretended to know everything going on behind the scenes and tend to get an overview with occasional nudges in the right direction. UTO, in particular, has far greater knowledge of transfer deals and Ryan is clearly close to the club and has been for many years. I take what they say seriously, even if I disagree with elements.

I know that we've missed out on targets, we do do every year. We're also later in getting players in, and I would have hoped that we'd had 3 or 4 at least in last week to get them some game time against Coventry. I still stand by the thought that it's more important to get the right deals rather than the early ones, but it appears from what UTO has said that there may be problems I don't know about. The next few days are critical and I'm still confident that things will look much better in the next few days.

I don't know that there is much behind Robinson having his head turned. QPR were looking, but that was shut down very quickly and was weeks ago. This shouldn't have had any impact on our transfer dealings.

Also, I don't know the things that are being alleged that Robinson has or hasn't done behind the scenes. He is involved with more than some managers but has been 100% focused on this transfer window, and whether successful or not, him doing bits behind the scenes is not a valid argument for getting things wrong.

Let's see who comes in by Tuesday and see what more Robinson says. His position is at risk if we don't get our squad building right, so I can't see that there is a deliberate intent to fail. I still think there is time to fix things, and there's absolutely no reason to write Robinson or the club off just yet.

I don’t agree with everything he says, but he gets victimised and vilified far more than anyone else on here. Just seems to be the way of the modern world these days! It’s not his points and opinions I’m referring to, it’s the select that like to single him out for abuse.

I find myself somewhere between scotch and Kip in terms of which ‘bus’ I’m on, which is a pretty huge distance between stops I know, so I don’t feel the need to side with either side of the brigades. But it’s quite simply a forum of people voicing opinions, there’s disagreeing with someone, then there’s a personal vendetta which seems to be the case here.

After all, Newley all of us have grown to love your self-proclaimed ‘fat fingers’, I’m sure we can tolorate everyone for the sake of a debate 😉
We will see if he carry’s in and stops being rude and then I’m sure there will be those they will also stop being rude.
He does seem the only poster that comes in for any grief and you have to ask why.

So you’d rather sign a player that’s available on the first day rather than someone you may have to wait for due to competition/contract etc, purely because they’re the first one available? Interesting way of looking at it
Why have other clubs managed to get quality in early?
We have money too.

I don’t understand this point of view. How exactly could it backfire?

Even if you spend a season in the Championship and come straight back down, you’re in exactly the same position as you would have been if you’d stayed in L1 except:

- You have more money

- You have experience of how to get promoted

- You have an idea of what the Championship will be like if you get there again.

Nothing but a positive for me.
Plus you have a promotion on record and silverware of sorts. I would love to do what Rotherham do rather than Burton. Wycombe literally got a free hit in the Championship without dismantling their finances and were even able to put together a strong squad off the back of crap support and Covid. Sadly it's got to the stage where we're probably more likely to be at the other end of the table rather than fighting for promotion - the stadium situation needs cementing plus we are running thin on assets to sell to maintain our current business model. We don't seem to be attracting quality we once did and the big teams in league one are getting bigger and more ambitious. Such a shame as we've had a very strong team especially before Covid hit but I'd say we've probably missed out on a chance of getting promoted anytime soon.

I don't know how much truth and/or conjecture is being spoken by some but as one of the more positive posters on this board I'm starting to get a bad feeling. I'm hoping it's just impatience for new signings and for the season to start, but something this summer doesn't feel quite right somewhere.

I'm not in full panic mode, Findlay is a really bloody good signing for this level, but the idea of going into Derby having lost McNally, Sykes, Whyte, Williams, Kane and Holland and only really replacing McNally of the three, as well as Gorrin and Long still being managed and Baldock being injured AGAIN... It makes me seriously nervous we're going into a dull mid table season.

Two full backs, two wingers, a CDM and a striker needed ASAP at a minimum, and probably another CB and ST needed before end of the window.

Rak-Sakyi, Whyte, Morton, Luongo and Findlay in before Derby and I'll feel much more relaxed 😅

I don't know how much truth and/or conjecture is being spoken by some but as one of the more positive posters on this board I'm starting to get a bad feeling. I'm hoping it's just impatience for new signings and for the season to start, but something this summer doesn't feel quite right somewhere.

I'm not in full panic mode, Findlay is a really bloody good signing for this level, but the idea of going into Derby having lost McNally, Sykes, Whyte, Williams, Kane and Holland and only really replacing McNally of the three, as well as Gorrin and Long still being managed and Baldock being injured AGAIN... It makes me seriously nervous we're going into a dull mid table season.

Two full backs, two wingers, a CDM and a striker needed ASAP at a minimum, and probably another CB and ST needed before end of the window.

Rak-Sakyi, Whyte, Morton, Luongo and Findlay in before Derby and I'll feel much more relaxed 😅
Morton won’t be coming here

Norwood has gone to Barnsley. Thank f**k for that

Anyone know what is Baldock's injury ?

How many ‘other’ clubs are you referring to? I can think of 4 teams that I look at their transfer activity and think they’re recruited really well, 3 of which have a far bigger budget and 1 of which I think have acted early and efficiently.
Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Derby and MK Dons? I agree, there's not much more transfer activity that worries me.

Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Derby and MK Dons? I agree, there's not much more transfer activity that worries me.
Spot on!

I also think, given their position last year, Shrewsbury have done ok too but not enough that I think they’ll be a force this season. Not to the degree they have the best manager in the league, put it that way.

I don’t understand this point of view. How exactly could it backfire?

Even if you spend a season in the Championship and come straight back down, you’re in exactly the same position as you would have been if you’d stayed in L1 except:

- You have more money

- You have experience of how to get promoted

- You have an idea of what the Championship will be like if you get there again.

Nothing but a positive for me.
Fair enough question.

If we had got up, for example, in one of the two Play Off final seasons recently, we'd have had a team that was for the most part, in need of replacing if we went up. I love Taylor, but even when he was younger he didn't cut it in the Championship with Bristol City. So we'd have needed at least one or two up top, and then most of the other positions filled with new players, and massive wages increase, and much much bigger transfer fees. Yes the gate revenue would've gone up. Until we own our ground, we're in a bit of a rock and a hard place though.

The new ground situation doesn't look like getting sorted any time soon. So with the mega increase in new players and their wages, if we were to come straight back down, we'd be in league one with much bigger fixed monthly over heads.

Yes you have more money, but your costs are much much higher, and some of those costs wont contractually cease after a season.

George Hirst rumoured to be leaving Leicester on a permanent, would be happy with that
Would give Leicester whatever they’re asking for him. Something different to Taylor and Baldock, he was a handful when we played them at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom