Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Was speaking to a Brentford fan last night who told me that the best thing OUFC ever did was take their money for Baptiste and Fosu.
My mate's a Brentford ST holder and saud their fans like him, but needs to be wrapped in cotton wool as injury prone. Fosu was a stop gap, Baptiste is class.

I posted about this higher up the thread, but in a word, yes. It’s not a slight on him, his agent, Oxford United, anyone to acknowledge this. He’s not a kid. He doesn’t need to think about where going next is best for building his career - most of it is behind him and he has one final big payday to bag. What’s best for him will be maximising his income while he is in a position to do so.

Given his pedigree and the form he’s showing now, any mid level (and above) Championship club would be silly not to take a punt on him, on a free, in the summer. He’s arguably showing premier league quality at the moment. They’ll be able to offer far more than we can (or, realistically, should) offer. It’s the way of the world.

I’m just glad we’re getting to enjoy him while we can, and witnessing him propel a side that looked to be slipping into a nothing season into making something of it. Let’s just appreciate it for what it is, and wish him well in the summer with good grace.
One scenario which might work for everyone is a longish new contract with us with a buyout clause

I said a while back that he wouldn’t be here next season, he would either not get fit and we wouldn’t offer him a contract or he would and that would attract clubs with deeper pockets, so never expected to see him after the end of this season.

Better that it’s happened this way, would have preferred to see a bit more of him but at least it’s had a happy ending, hopefully a very happy one.

Not going to be sad when it’s over, be glad that (in the end) it happened.

I said a while back that he wouldn’t be here next season, he would either not get fit and we wouldn’t offer him a contract or he would and that would attract clubs with deeper pockets, so never expected to see him after the end of this season.

Better that it’s happened this way, would have preferred to see a bit more of him but at least it’s had a happy ending, hopefully a very happy one.

Not going to be sad when it’s over, be glad that (in the end) it happened.
He won’t be here next season.
Let’s hope it’s Wembley, not Exeter, that’s his swansong.

He won’t be here next season.
Let’s hope it’s Wembley, not Exeter, that’s his swansong.
The recent press coverage tells you all that you need to know.

I hope you/I am wrong, though I think the writing is on the wall. On the plus side, his wages ought to be able to attract a very good replacement (assuming we are in League One). The Championship is a different beast altogether.

West Brom have got there eye on him ,we can forget keeping him . He's doing great now let's hope before he goes he gets us to Wembley .But it's taken along time to get a tune out of him .Play well today let's have another good performance and a goal.

One scenario which might work for everyone is a longish new contract with us with a buyout clause
Can't see that working for him, unless

A) we're in the Championship
B) we offer the silly money that better established Championship sides can offer

A might happen but I doubt if B will.

Look, I’d like him to stay. His form in 2024 has seen him go from arguably #3 ranking in the ‘I only want us to keep one’ mini-league also featuring Marcus Browne and Kyle Edwards to #1 by a mile.

BUT let’s not get too dizzy. Up until March I’m not sure anyone would’ve lost any sleep if they were told Murphy wasn’t going to be an OUFC player next year.

I think the amount of media he’s got in the last few weeks tells you all you need to know about what his agent is up to. My own opinion is that if football is his priority and we’ve made him a competitive offer then he’d be mad not to stay at a place where he’s now happy and will be the ‘main man’. But like others have said, with respect if teams at the top of the Championship think they can get a tune out of him then it’s farewell Murph. We should not be paying him the kind of money needed to compete with those clubs. (And he’s on a fair old wedge now which would certainly help recruit competent, hopefully more robust, replacements).

I’ve said several times I’m just enjoying watching him play this season. If he’s here next year and reproducing this kind of performance level then fabulous. If not, my mind will very quickly go to the 18 months of nothing during his time here, I’ll look back fondly on his scintillating 2024 and move on pretty quickly.

(But sign the deal Josh!)

Back
Top Bottom