Home Match Day Thread 24/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Leyton Orient

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm so disgusted....hard to swallow really ( especially with the road from and to Belgium🙃) .

When I see the game, I think really the players don't play for Des.

His 1st interviews were : high pressing, intensity, attacking football. To make short all those 3 promises are missing.....🙂.

Pompey next one is the last chance for me ( if there's one left )

Mind you it’s their own fault, whoever thought that coaching in India and NZ is any kind of recommendation to work in the EFL must live in cloud cuckoo land. It’s like going for a job at a top restaurant and telling them that you flipped burgers at McDonald’s.

Just prove me wrong Des, prove that I am talking rubbish.

Why wouldn’t you want to ‘grass them up’? Why protect these players who don’t show any respect to us by not trying?

There are a few posters on this forum who like to make out they are close to the club and know what is going on behind the scenes when that isn’t the case at all.

I’d almost understand it if someone was posting under their real name but that isn’t the case with leysboy.

Absolutely.

If you are a real supporter of the club and you were aware of players taking a decent wage out of our pocket, you would name them and shame them.

Why would a real supporter protect them?

It’s either ITK garbage or someone who has no real care for the club.

Absolutely.

If you are a real supporter of the club and you were aware of players taking a decent wage out of our pocket, you would name them and shame them.

Why would a real supporter protect them?

It’s either ITK garbage or someone who has no real care for the club.
I can't remember the last time long, mcguane or rodrigues had a decent game.

There’s increasingly thin evidence that Des will make a success of this, much as we surely all still hope he will.

I don’t see any way that he’s gone before May, nor much benefit to it, but I think we need to be looking before that point.

We free up a lot of wage space in the summer and we can’t commit that to a Manager if we have doubts over them.

Nor can we start the summer by interviewing the candidates and then waste weeks understanding how they want to play and drawing up shortlists.

If we keep wages at this season's level.

The only way we've been able to run the wage bill we have this season is because Bakrie basically agreed to burn two million quid.
(he didn't loan us that money - because that wouldn't have been allowed under the League One Salary Cost Management Protocol - instead he created and paid for two million quids worth of shares. But in my mind buying shares in a company that you already majority own, that is running at a huge loss and has vastly higher liabilities than assets.....well that's basically the same as burning the money.......)

So basically we're asking Bakrie to a) Burn another two million so we can keep wages at the same level next season, and b) Burn hundreds of thousands more to pay off the contract of the manager that he's just spent hundreds of thousands to bring into the club. All while waiting to see if the city is going to approve planning position for the stadium or leave us decidedly without a paddle.

If I were him, I'd be pretty pissed right now, and in the mood for firing a CEO or Chairman or two......

Mind you it’s their own fault, whoever thought that coaching in India and NZ is any kind of recommendation to work in the EFL must live in cloud cuckoo land. It’s like going for a job at a top restaurant and telling them that you flipped burgers at McDonald’s.

This exactly.

Spot on sir!

It was already clear that Moore was our best defender and organiser, but christ the last few games have shown how lost we are without him.

Why wouldn’t you want to ‘grass them up’? Why protect these players who don’t show any respect to us by not trying?

There are a few posters on this forum who like to make out they are close to the club and know what is going on behind the scenes when that isn’t the case at all.

I’d almost understand it if someone was posting under their real name but that isn’t the case with leysboy.
I just think most managers who fail after a relatively short period of time ( or longer in some cases) have often been let down by the players not getting fully behind them. Take Joe Edwards at Millwall, they won 4 in 19. Wayne Rooney Birmingham won 2 in 15. Yet as soon as they are gone results improve, that’s not wholly down to tactics and new coaching after a few days or weeks, much of that is down to players suddenly getting properly behind the new manager, when for whatever reason, they didn’t with the previous incumbent. It’s obvious at many clubs that some players don’t back the manager and this affects performances. No one names those players who’ve let themselves, the club and the manager down, it’s just part and parcel of what goes on and could never be 100% proven anyway, but it so obviously happens.

The issue is much more why isn’t Des getting the best out of these players, what is making some of them under perform. The club needs to act decisively either to back Des and get him the support he badly needs, or simply decide they got the appointment wrong. Whatever happens things have to change and the problems need to be addressed now.

Last edited:
It is damning that an interviewer has to ask you to explain your style after ~20 games but worse when you can’t answer.

Can anyone say what Des’s style is ? What are we because I haven’t got a clue what we are ? Are we possession based, similar to Manning ? No, I wouldn’t say so. Not as deliberate and hit too many long balls from deep for that. Do we play through teams ? No, definitely not. We turn back towards our own goal rather than the risk and reward of forward passing. Are we counter attacking ? Nope. Far too pedestrian to be a productive counter attacking side. Do we play aggressive, rock and roll football ala Klopp at Liverpool ? Don’t be ridiculous, we’re the most passive team in L1. 19 games in I’m none the wiser to what we’ve got than the day he arrived from Mumbai.

I would just like to thank Nick Harris for his pre and post match contributions which I felt was said on behalf of the fans. There seemed to be a confected argument being put by the CEO in the programme notes and collaborated on by the rest of the rad ox team, that somehow this is the fans fault for not creating an atmosphere our team can appreciate and play too. What nonsense, the team needs to give us something and the dross we are being served they are lucky the atmosphere is not more toxic. The fans I think tried really hard today but had their enthusiasm drained again by a dire performance. I unusually came out a few minutes early, I just didn't care anymore whether we got the draw. Anyway thanks Nick you spoke for me at least.

I would just like to thank Nick Harris for his pre and post match contributions which I felt was said on behalf of the fans. There seemed to be a confected argument being put by the CEO in the programme notes and collaborated on by the rest of the rad ox team, that somehow this is the fans fault for not creating an atmosphere our team can appreciate and play too. What nonsense, the team needs to give us something and the dross we are being served they are lucky the atmosphere is not more toxic. The fans I think tried really hard today but had their enthusiasm drained again by a dire performance. I unusually came out a few minutes early, I just didn't care anymore whether we got the draw. Anyway thanks Nick you spoke for me at least.
Agreed, I thought Nick's contribution was very sensible and put the fans point of view well.

I agree. Fair play to Nick Harris.

I'd also like our CEO to realise that he can't ignore the fans for his entire tenure so far, only to then imply they haven't been good enough. It's about time he realises he would get more out of people if they felt they were a part of something.

I can't remember the last time long, mcguane or rodrigues had a decent game.
Probably October. I do think Rodrigues has had some decent displays here and there but McGuane always fizzles out before November after usually having a very positive start to the campaigns. His fall-off is usually very predictable and spectacular.

Missing Moore shouldn't lead to us not looking like we know how to defend or more importantly to attack. Negru looked a real find at the start of the season but certainly no where near that now.
James Henry actually looked good against Pompey, a massive part in why we got a point and I certainly thought we might get some real quality cameos out of him now but not been seen since !
Burey just odd while the signing of Matete who had a major knee injury and hasn't played at all this season looks barmy. Matt Butcher, a solid, fit defensive midfielder signed for Wycombe for gods sake ....just a fit player please to shore up the middle of the park.

Can anyone say what Des’s style is ? What are we because I haven’t got a clue what we are ? Are we possession based, similar to Manning ? No, I wouldn’t say so. Not as deliberate and hit too many long balls from deep for that. Do we play through teams ? No, definitely not. We turn back towards our own goal rather than the risk and reward of forward passing. Are we counter attacking ? Nope. Far too pedestrian to be a productive counter attacking side. Do we play aggressive, rock and roll football ala Klopp at Liverpool ? Don’t be ridiculous, we’re the most passive team in L1. 19 games in I’m none the wiser to what we’ve got than the day he arrived from Mumbai.
I don’t really know is my answer. However, RadOx suggested today that the goal was a “Des Buckingham goal”. Get it wide quick through interplay with the target man, and then get others making third man runs to provide the finish. I suspect that they practice this for hours in training, which may be why Harris and Murphy are among the limited number who have flourished under Des.

It’s pretty obvious that we are practicing literally nothing else.

I agree with others about our huge deficiencies in centre midfield. More so for me than the absence of Moore. More so than the fact that we don’t start games with a proper no.9. More so than the fact that Long and Negru are terrified whenever the ball goes anywhere near them.
While I’m on that, Matete: i hope he gets magically better, and quick.

We’re going downhill, fast.

First time I've walked out of a game early, since 1967, . because of just absolute shite.
I tolerated,Gerry summers, Bill Asprey, Mick Brown, etc etc ,but this I'm not prepared, for this , poor poor poor poor....

I don’t understand either throw ins of free kicks which take us back to the keeper, rubbish I reckon, move forward, not back, like the other team do.

Rubbish.
To f**Ng slow ,no movement...

Back
Top Bottom