Away Match Day Thread +++6/04/2019 Walsall v OUFC match day thread+++

Why does it ? Not getting forward until needed has resulted in our defence being a lot tighter, not conceding goals, and winning more games. Ruffs and long allow the wingers the confidence to attack more and when needed or the opportunity arises get forward and chip in with goals and assists. The ball might have been laid back, but u less they are getting forward he wouldn’t have been there to score. Wing backs can work, but not really in our system, as it leaves us way to exposed

I personally believe they’re good utility players and have done a wonderful job, Ruffels in particular, but I believe that we need to improve in these areas if we want to progress as they are key positions for a successful team.

I personally believe they’re good utility players and have done a wonderful job, Ruffels in particular, but I believe that we need to improve in these areas if we want to progress as they are key positions for a successful team.
I believe that there are other areas where it is far more important that we need to spend our money.
Centre back to replace Nelson, then strikers *2 (unless Sinclair is one).
Ironic that manh are suggesting that our left back us being touted as player of the season and yet some supporters are suggesting that he isn't good enough.

Strange....

We have just won an important relegation match which looks like we have secured our div 1 status for another season, a very good 3-1 with only 10 men, a great battling performance, that is the 4th straight win and is it 6 or 7 wins out of the last 9.
Peeps should be happy but no the team is getting picked apart, enjoy the moment there will be the pre season to dig out all the players faults new and old, I see the two full backs are getting some but as I see it they have been the backbone of our recent run of results, one scoring a great injury time winner last week and the other setting up our all important 2nd goal this week, hasn't the defence just conceded 3 goals in 6 games.
Lots to be worried about going forward but for me I'm just enjoying the on field turnaround..

Strange....

We have just won an important relegation match which looks like we have secured our div 1 status for another season, a very good 3-1 with only 10 men, a great battling performance, that is the 4th straight win and is it 6 or 7 wins out of the last 9.
Peeps should be happy but no the team is getting picked apart, enjoy the moment there will be the pre season to dig out all the players faults new and old, I see the two full backs are getting some but as I see it they have been the backbone of our recent run of results, one scoring a great injury time winner last week and the other setting up our all important 2nd goal this week, hasn't the defence just conceded 3 goals in 6 games.
Lots to be worried about going forward but for me I'm just enjoying the on field turnaround..
Yes I am with you on that.
Our record since Long has come into the team is Top 2 form. Yet a minority want him out. Strange...

Isn’t that what we’ve done though ?

We started with garbutt £32k a week and McMahon and Norman and Hanson. We’ve improved on those positions, with two of our own who give everything every time they step on the pitch. In doing so we’ve progressed from a relegation battle, to top half and were right up there in the form table. We currently have a successful l1 team. You say long is a utility player and a steady 7/10. Yet the last 4 games he was in contention for motm in my opinion with 9/10 or 10/10 performances. Look to bring in serious competition by all means, but both are at the min deserving of the starting place

Which positions would you say are less key?

How can we criticise Sam Long for not having enough quality on the ball in the final third, or for lashing the ball clear rather than taking a touch and playing a pass?

I expect our defenders to defend, and Long does the simple things right. It's no coincidence that our goals conceded have significantly reduced since he came into the side. Along with Ruffels, they are very solid and could easily deliver success for us next year if the key areas are strengthened. Successful sides are not made of occasionally overlapping full backs, and fancy footwork. They're made of solid defences and attacking from the right areas.
I want defenders to clear the bloody thing. Get rid of it by whatever means. No tippy tippy crap when there are opposition players in the area.

Considering Walsall have been in free fall for a couple of months, I’m surprised their manager did not go before Saturday If Wycombe lose tomorrow night Ainsworth could be next. It’s all a bit late in the season for a new guy to get results, but Rochdale seemed to have improved since Keith Hill left.

Which positions would you say are less key?

Obviously all positions are key, but I believe if the right personnel are selected in these roles then they can enhance the team further. I’d say most successful teams tend to have key players in these positions.

I want defenders to clear the bloody thing. Get rid of it by whatever means. No tippy tippy crap when there are opposition players in the area.

Just like Man City players.

Teams that keep the ball and play it simple tend to play better football and are more successful.

Obviously all positions are key, but I believe if the right personnel are selected in these roles then they can enhance the team further. I’d say most successful teams tend to have key players in these positions.
So most successful teams tend to have key players in these (fullback) positions? Name one successful team in the last 20 years where the fullbacks have been key to their success? I'm not knocking the value in having the best players in each position, but with Sam and Josh we have two very decent, young and local players who can hold their own in these positions. Our prority for new players must be elsewhere.

Just like Man City players.

Teams that keep the ball and play it simple tend to play better football and are more successful.

Man City, like Barcelona previously are a bit of a freak of a team. They have spent hundreds of millions buying some of the best players in the world, under possibly the best manager ever. That isn't a model I would expect to replicate, even with Erick's spending potential.

We are a league 1 side, and most of those who succeed are the ones that play with no nonsense at the back.

So most successful teams tend to have key players in these (fullback) positions? Name one successful team in the last 20 years where the fullbacks have been key to their success? I'm not knocking the value in having the best players in each position, but with Sam and Josh we have two very decent, young and local players who can hold their own in these positions. Our prority for new players must be elsewhere.

Man City, like Barcelona previously are a bit of a freak of a team. They have spent hundreds of millions buying some of the best players in the world, under possibly the best manager ever. That isn't a model I would expect to replicate, even with Erick's spending potential.

We are a league 1 side, and most of those who succeed are the ones that play with no nonsense at the back.

You don’t have to spend millions to play football the right way.

You must notice that when you watch football on the TV (any standard) you see teams that are managed by top coaches/managers are teaching them to keep the hall (even if it means going backwards), and have attacking/over lapping fullbacks. Like I said, every position is important, but I believe that this is a position that needs enhancing for us to be successful.

I think we’ll need right and left fullbacks, a decent replacement for Nelson if he goes, and striker or two. In addition to that we need to keep Kashi, Graham and Sinclair (as one of those two strikers).

Oh, and we were pretty successful when we had Baldock and Skarz, Langan and McDonald

Anyway, I don’t want to say anymore on this matter now as I don’t want to be disrespectful of Long and slightly more importantly Ruffels as they’ve done a very commendable job.

Last edited:

You must notice that when you watch football on the TV (any standard) you see teams that are managed by top coaches/managers are teaching them to keep the hall (even if it means going backwards), and have attacking/over lapping fullbacks. Like I said, every position is important, but I believe that this is a position that needs enhancing for us to be successful.

I think we’ll need right and left fullbacks, a decent replacement for Nelson if he goes, and striker or two. In addition to that we need to keep Kashi, Graham and Sinclair (as one of those two strikers).

Oh, and we were pretty successful when we had Baldock and Skarz, Langan and McDonald

Anyway, I don’t want to say anymore on this matter now as I don’t want to be disrespectful of Long and slightly more importantly Ruffels as they’ve done a very commendable job.

Do u consider skarz an attacking over lapping full back ? I’d say he was more in the vein of what ruffels gives, very strong defensively, good in the air and positionally who gets forward when needed?

You also mention the best teams retain the ball, on the whole both long and ruffels ball retention and distribution are excellent. Especially when u consider both are actually still learning the role.

Er Ruffels IS a good passer of the ball. And Long is getting better every game. Think you’re in danger of disappearing up your own fundament.

It’s quite clear that our 19/20 budget is not going to be limitless.

Baldock was a great attacker, like Langan and Beardsley, but Skarz was a lower league hoofer. If we have wingers and wide players we can do without exciting full backs

When Sam Long first started playing for us i stated that he looked a natural ball playing centre half in the mould of Rio Ferdinand etc and expected him to have a bright future, perhaps now after his injury problems we may get to see the potential fulfilled.

Back
Top Bottom