Away Match Day Thread +++ 6/10/18 Southend United v OUFC +++

Agree with this. Today showed, along with Sunderland and Man City that we can stick to a plan. It wasn’t pretty or adventurous, but we didn’t give away silly chances and gave ourselves a chance.

Adding Mousinho in to midfield was a good decision, some extra protection for the back 4.

Plymouth is now important. Will the fans be happy with today’s display at home? Probably not. If the long term plan is to keep KR (at least until the possible involvement of Thohir) then he needs backing. No one is happy, but things need turning around.

Plymouth are a genuinely poor team, anything but a win and we will see a repeat of Tuesday. We will find out is a brief respite for KR

We are a genuinely poor team as well though, it’s two poor teams fighting for scraps really in the hope that a win will see them push on.

Did they? When?
Robinson, United's head coach, said: "He’s got other options at this moment and we already have three strikers so we are loaded in that area.

"I think there are more pressing issues in the team than that position. That’s where we sit right now.
"I think there are other areas where our money could be better spent.

To be fair that’s a good point today.
I really hope we can build a win next Saturday.

Injured still, believe it was 6 weeks out and think he's halfway through the 6 weeks should be back by Shrewsbury i reckon
Back in squad next Satuday apparently.
Presumably Carruthers for Whyte so having Browne on the bench will give us something different.

I'm always annoyingly optimistic, and think that Robinson can be the one to turn things round with a bit of time and a lot of luck. We have seen that he does listen and has looked to make the team harder to beat, but we have been let down by some basic mistakes from players recently. Today was far from what any of us would have expected, but it is a point, and we know how hard they are to come by at Southend.

Of course next week is important, but we saw against Burton that once we stop gifting goals at one end, we have players who can look dangerous. They need to get a little confidence, a little luck and a goal or two could make a huge difference to how this side looks.

Onwards and upwards, the only way is up!!

60s style nutrition, finished off with half a pint of mild and a Silk Cut...
That was Faz's lunch, but it was Woodbine. The coach to Northampton was late getting to the ground supposedly, as they had to stop for cigarettes for him.

There are problems with blaming players who make mistakes though. They are L1 players - they ALL make mistakes. Obviously if a central defender makes a cock-up it is far more dangerous than if a wide player does it up ath the other end of the pitch, but they all do it. And one of the reasons they are doing it close to their own goal is that they are asked to play it out when they should perhaps not be doing so. If you drop a player because of a mistake, then pretty soon you run out of players and end up bringing back in a player who made his personal mistake the longest time ago and you get a revolving cast of players which is very dispruptive and (you've guessed it) is likely to cause more mistakes.

Therefore (whatever my personal preferences about the players or whether a loaning club want their player to get time on the pitch) injuries and illness notwithstanding, I suggest that the starting team for the next proper game must include at least the same back four and defensive midfielder. The only way they are going to improve is to keep a settled side so they can anticipate what each other are likely to do. And even if a player makes an error next Saturday, they should be retained for the match after. Let's go for the same defence for three games in a row.

Todays draw against the poorest side I've seen, is no more than a sticking plaster over a gaping wound. We had one shot on target. Yes we fought, and played much better, but would have still been beaten by Luton playing as we did today.
Today his excuses included the new bumpy pitches of the training ground. He started off buttering the fans up as usual.
We are now bottom, and inside the relegation places by some margin, because of KB. At most other clubs he would be gone by now, but he cant see it himself.
6 points from 36, is more than relegation form, its around a final total in the mid 20's. Nathan Cooper, in his comments, alluded to something Jerome did this morning, seemingly knowing more than they obviously let on, that next weeks home game could be pivotal. Basically that it is ok to get the odd away point, but the home form is leading to a lower footfall, less merchandise being sold etc, and a loss next week will be the final nail in KB's coffin.

Er Southend had won The last 3 we had lost the last 4. We NEVER do well at Southend.
How can anybody suggest that a draw isn't a decent result today?

I agree it would be a decent result if we had won 3 or 4 of our other games. In reality we have fallen further behind and now sit bottom of the division. Things have to improve and listening to Robinson’s interview still not convinced he has the answers to put things right.

I'm always annoyingly optimistic, and think that Robinson can be the one to turn things round with a bit of time and a lot of luck. We have seen that he does listen and has looked to make the team harder to beat, but we have been let down by some basic mistakes from players recently. Today was far from what any of us would have expected, but it is a point, and we know how hard they are to come by at Southend.

Of course next week is important, but we saw against Burton that once we stop gifting goals at one end, we have players who can look dangerous. They need to get a little confidence, a little luck and a goal or two could make a huge difference to how this side looks.

Onwards and upwards, the only way is up!!

I admire your optism but Burton was one game in twelve, and Burton were awful that day, we haven’t looked dangerous in the other eleven games whether we have conceded or not.

Unfortunately even in the games we were able to shut up shop we couldn’t score, which tends to suggest that the extra defensive responsibility placed on the players further blunted our excuse for an attack.

I’ve been one of Robinson’s biggest critics but there comes a time when it has to stop. It’s obvious after what he said after the game today that he’s not going anywhere so constant sniping at him from the supporters is going to achieve nothing. It’s just going to breed negativity and disharmony at a time when we need to battle for league 1 survival. Let’s all try and put our personal feelings to one side, get behind Robinson and the boys and try and build on today and get points on the board from now on.

How can it be personal gripes, when we are bottom of the table, in the relegation places by some way and we have a manager that has failed the team. After the Sunderland game, we thought a corner had been turned, but nothing. It's everyone's fault bar his, even the training pitches came in for criticism today. This has happened week after week.
Relegation is a certainty under his "leadership," with the current win rate.
How long would you give him, with his current record? Every game that goes by is one less for a new manager to save the current inevitable relegation.
He has to go, and no, it's not personal, it's following weeks of travelling hundreds of miles week on week watching the tripe he has served up for supporters.

I think the crowd will be behind the team Saturday as long as we are in the game, it’s a load of s**t that they and Robinson have had a hard time, if anything they have had it remarkably easy. But lose/get into a position that the game is lost then a shitstorm is coming, you can feel it building up.

Saturday is a massive game.

And we don’t time waste and do silly antics with fake injuries etc, and get at least 5-10 chances on target.

Back
Top Bottom