Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Without wanting to sound too rude, you really are clueless if you ever thought we were good enough to be 2nd in the table.

You don’t half come out with some rubbish. With 10 games left we are 9 points off 2nd. We went a goal up in our last two home games, had the momentum in both but sat back and ended up with 1 point out of 6 - there’s 5 points just tossed away. That’s 4 off second - Reading away, Reading home, Rovers, Barnsley, Wycombe, 2 up v Derby but then stopped and played so deep. There’s easily 4 points thrown away in those 6 games alone and I’ve only gone back as far as Christmas. To say we couldn’t have realistically seen off Northampton and Orient and then not have acquired another 4 points from those 6 matches I mention (making a grand total of 7 points from 18 in those) is utter rubbish. Of course we were good enough to have hung around 2nd - very, very achievable.

I’m not so sure those performances were as dire as we’ve seen under Des. Port Vale, for one, was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. There’s been too many indifferent performances under DB, they were way more sporadic under Manning. The problem under DB is that we are getting worse - individuals look lost, he looks and sounds clueless and the team is shambolic.
I agree, they were sporadic and kind of symptomatic of League 1 football (and the reason most of our players are playing in League 1).
But Manning had the back end of last season, and a whole transfer window and pre-season to get it right.

Buckingham came in to performances already falling away, a big injury list to some key 1st choice players, a lack of continuity in back room staff, bringing in a load of players in the transfer window through necessity, some of who were clearly not ready for 90mins of football twice a week.

And that's before we mention the bang out of form and clearly knackered players like McGuane, Rodrigues, Long, Brown...and now the injury to our captain (which I think it the biggest loss and reason we conceded so easily/appear so disorganised at the back).

And all of a sudden we expect everything to continue as it was at the end of October, but with a different set of players and a different coaching set up. That's for the birds I'm afraid.

I'm not sure why people are so surprised by the drop off in performance or the complete change in style/lack of set style. It's effectively a very different squad who are desperately trying to find their most effective playing style and coming off the back of an injury crisis and a punishing two match a week schedule.

To put this all at the managers door is imho, missing the much bigger picture.

I agree, they were sporadic and kind of symptomatic of League 1 football (and the reason most of our players are playing in League 1).
But Manning had the back end of last season, and a whole transfer window and pre-season to get it right.

Buckingham came in to performances already falling away, a big injury list to some key 1st choice players, a lack of continuity in back room staff, bringing in a load of players in the transfer window through necessity, some of who were clearly not ready for 90mins of football twice a week.

And that's before we mention the bang out of form and clearly knackered players like McGuane, Rodrigues, Long, Brown...and now the injury to our captain (which I think it the biggest loss and reason we conceded so easily/appear so disorganised at the back).

And all of a sudden we expect everything to continue as it was at the end of October, but with a different set of players and a different coaching set up. That's for the birds I'm afraid.

I'm not sure why people are so surprised by the drop off in performance or the complete change in style/lack of set style. It's effectively a very different squad who are desperately trying to find their most effective playing style and coming off the back of an injury crisis and a punishing two match a week schedule.

Manning took over a team one place above the relegation zone, Des took over a team in second. I don’t buy this already falling away stuff. If we were falling away under Manning then we’ve nose dived off the Grand Canyon under Des. The squad Manning assembled was a very decent and capable one and didn’t require much surgery, Des has had the January window to tinker and some might say he’s done more than tinker with it.

Des Buckingham is the problem. Sacking him is the only way we are going to achieve the play offs this season - in my opinion. Fine if you want to write this season off and start again in the summer under Des but, boy, what a wasted opportunity that will have been this season.

Absolutely agree with alot of what your saying, but what do you you think of the performances ,,Carlisle was good ,Charlton was good the odd half's have been good but we have been shocking in so many .Let's hope with Moore back ,and more players getting fitter with a whole week on the practice ground Saturday we put up a good performance, we all want Des to do well. But it's been a disaster so far and nobody can say it hasn't.

I wonder if they hired someone they knew wouldn't be in a strong enough position to push back against them. Manning, Appleton and others would have come in and taken charge. Des doesn't seem to have done that.

Manning took over a team one place above the relegation zone, Des took over a team in second. I don’t buy this already falling away stuff. If we were falling away under Manning then we’ve nose dived off the Grand Canyon under Des. The squad Manning assembled was a very decent and capable one and didn’t require much surgery, Des has had the January window to tinker and some might say he’s done more than tinker with it.

Des Buckingham is the problem. Sacking him is the only way we are going to achieve the play offs this season - in my opinion. Fine if you want to write this season off and start again in the summer under Des but, boy, what a wasted opportunity that will have been this season.
How many wins did Manning get last season and by how many points were we saved from relegation.

We were vastly underperforming last season, we were over performing this season.

I would argue it is easier to turn around under-performance than it is to maintain over-performance.

And nobody is writing off this season in February.

And I would also suggest that expecting that things will magically improve by simply replacing Des, when we all know whoever comes in still has to work for Tim and Grant, is a bit short-sighted.

And I dare say a large chunk of next seasons projected transfer budget will also go on the hefty compensation package. Those spreadsheets don't balance themselves!

I think Des is here for the foreseeable I'm afraid.

Absolutely agree with alot of what your saying, but what do you you think of the performances ,,Carlisle was good ,Charlton was good the odd half's have been good but we have been shocking in so many .Let's hope with Moore back ,and more players getting fitter with a whole week on the practice ground Saturday we put up a good performance, we all want Des to do well. But it's been a disaster so far and nobody can say it hasn't.
Frankly nowhere near good enough. And that is as much as the players door as it is at Des and the management teams.

Again, if players are underperforming intentionally because they are sulking, then they have no business at our club. In fact they have no business being a professional footballer full stop.

I’m not so sure those performances were as dire as we’ve seen under Des. Port Vale, for one, was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. There’s been too many indifferent performances under DB, they were way more sporadic under Manning. The problem under DB is that we are getting worse - individuals look lost, he looks and sounds clueless and the team is shambolic.

Cambridge away was dire.

MK dons in the paint pot was dire.

Port Vale at home was rubbish.

Bristol Rovers at home was a rubbish performance. We just got lucky.

Without wanting to sound too rude, nobody expected us to be where we are now when we were in second place.

Well I did, anyone who can understand football and look at it objectively would know we would never sustain that position. Being able to not look at your own football club through rose tinted spectacles helps a lot. We are not as good as we think we are & don’t have as strong a squad as people think it is. Plus our coaching team is a shambles & the remnants of robbo’s reign. All needs freshening up. Des deserves his own people around him rather than Robinson’s mates. At least manning had Hogg, Price etc in important positions.

Well I did, anyone who can understand football and look at it objectively would know we would never sustain that position. Being able to not look at your own football club through rose tinted spectacles helps a lot. We are not as good as we think we are & don’t have as strong a squad as people think it is. Plus our coaching team is a shambles & the remnants of robbo’s reign. All needs freshening up. Des deserves his own people around him rather than Robinson’s mates. At least manning had Hogg, Price etc in important positions.
Gregg Leigh at left back was our top scorer through that period too. If that doesn't tell you that you have serious structural deficiencies in your squad and your ability to create and finish chances in your forwards, then I don't know what does🤷‍♂️

If Pearson came in now he’d get us in the play offs - I have absolutely no doubt about that.

I agree, but I’m just curious why posters just say no thanks. Without adding anything to suggest why he wouldn’t be any good.

He’s certainly a no nonsense manager, and would certainly keep the players on there toes.

I agree, but I’m just curious why posters just say no thanks. Without adding anything to suggest why he wouldn’t be any good.

He’s certainly a no nonsense manager, and would certainly keep the players on there toes.
Ah, but what if the players don't want to play for him because they don't react well/agree with his methods - what then?

That is supposedly the case with Des.....isn't it?

Surely we should ask the players who they want and only get them? After all, the poor little lambs won’t put a shift in other wise will they?

As for Pearson it’s a no from me as it’s a short term appointment. I’d like a progressive manager who can be here for a good few years. That’s why I’m waiting a fair bit longer to see how Des can do.

Some on here would have had Jim Smith sacked first time around after we blew a very good position when he first came in following Ian Greaves' departure mid-season. We stuck with him, thankfully.
Yes in those days of course, thete was no internet, so the vociferous few were heard of a lot less!
Jim Smith would have had a lot of questioning here. Not only did he blow a good position, but he sold Keith Cassells ( a good striker), brought Trevor Hebberd in as a striker ( telling us he would score a load of goals), and then converted him from a striker to a CM player!
At the end of the first part of the season 20% at least on here wouod have wanted him fired.

19 games Des has been here.

He’s got another 11 before we review his job. If we make a change it will be at the end of April.

That will be 30 League One games which is a two thirds of a season so a pretty fair amount of time to judge him.

19 games Des has been here.

He’s got another 11 before we review his job. If we make a change it will be at the end of April.

That will be 30 League One games which is a two thirds of a season so a pretty fair amount of time to judge him.

Des has a period after the Bolton game on sky of the following:

Port Vale, Lincoln at home, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Burton.

That’ll be the period where a big amount of folk will change their opinion if results are not picked up.

• React
Reactions: m
I watched that Blackburn v Newcastle game last night and that made me wonder if there was ever a realistic chance of getting Eustace. Blackburn were fantastic - energetic, quick in defence and attack, incisive and a joy to watch. There will be a few ruing the missed opportunity with Eustace but not really sure we were ever in with a shout.

We were never in with a shout of Eustace.

We may as well moan that we didnt bring in Guardiola.

Des has a period after the Bolton game on sky of the following:

Port Vale, Lincoln at home, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Burton.

That’ll be the period where a big amount of folk will change their opinion if results are not picked up.
Mind you, a win on Saturday might also cause some change of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom