Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Listen to the Dubs just before Manning's departure you can hear Elek being worried about the statistics showing we werent actually good enough to be 2nd back then
We might not have been good enough to maintain second, but we were certainly good enough to maintain a strong playoff challenge.
We are very lucky to still be in with a small chance given our form.

It’s the decline from decent but inconsistent to “utter s**t” under KemDes that’s most concerning.

Just listened to it.

Sometimes, it can be that forums like this can become an echo chamber and we can unwittingly reinforce and amplify each other's concerns about the club. So it is interesting to hear others talk on the same subjects (especially when some of them are close to the club) and to find they have *exactly* the same concerns and worries that we do - if a little sobering.

Of course it's true that the players need to share some of the blame. But the way they are being set up, and going out and approaching the game, does raise serious questions about the manager as well.

The case in point for me is Jay Matete. Every review of him we had from Plymouth and Sunderland fans said the same things - highly physical player, great engine, gets all over the pitch buuuuut his control and passing is not the best, and he gets booked a lot. And I think a lot of us we're excited to have him sign as a result because we've been lacking a real physical presence in the centre of the park for years.

That's not the player we've seen at all. He's been tentative; he's stuck rigidly to the centre of the park; forget getting booked, he's barely made a tackle worthy of the name. The only thing that has been true is that his passing has not been the best (to put it mildly).

It's hard to believe that he has made the decision to be a different player overnight - yes he had an injury, but the style of player he was played a part in two successive League One promotions; don't see why he would choose to change that. Much more likely is that he's been told to play this rigid, disciplined style by a manager that's been brought up to play the game the City Group way, and is used to managing the game in far less intense, less physical leagues.

And then the thing that's driving me utterly nuts is our complete reluctance to make a tackle in the final third. So many of the goals we're conceding (2nd against Rovers, Lang's against Pompey, Reading's equalizer, Orient's winner etc. etc.) are the direct result of passive defending.....letting the opposition run at us, and trying to just position ourselves in the way when they get towards the goal. It's a style of defending that I see every time I turn on a Premier League game, and I'm sure it's what's taught up and down the City Group pipeline, but I'm just not certain that it's something that's going to work at League One level, where the majority of the defenders and defensive midfielders have gotten where they are on the back of their physical traits, strength and aggression. Their movement and positioning isn't perfect, and they're much more comfortable with getting stuck in and keeping the player & ball away from their goal.

I can understand why we hired Buckingham - he's off the same coaching tree as Manning, as well as being the local lad - but if it's going to work, he's going to have to wise up quickly that what worked in India and New Zealand isn't necessarily going to work at League One; and he's going to have to release the handbrake and give the players that need it the freedom to play more aggressive, physical football.

Of course it's true that the players need to share some of the blame. But the way they are being set up, and going out and approaching the game, does raise serious questions about the manager as well.

The case in point for me is Jay Matete. Every review of him we had from Plymouth and Sunderland fans said the same things - highly physical player, great engine, gets all over the pitch buuuuut his control and passing is not the best, and he gets booked a lot. And I think a lot of us we're excited to have him sign as a result because we've been lacking a real physical presence in the centre of the park for years.

That's not the player we've seen at all. He's been tentative; he's stuck rigidly to the centre of the park; forget getting booked, he's barely made a tackle worthy of the name. The only thing that has been true is that his passing has not been the best (to put it mildly).

It's hard to believe that he has made the decision to be a different player overnight - yes he had an injury, but the style of player he was played a part in two successive League One promotions; don't see why he would choose to change that. Much more likely is that he's been told to play this rigid, disciplined style by a manager that's been brought up to play the game the City Group way, and is used to managing the game in far less intense, less physical leagues.

And then the thing that's driving me utterly nuts is our complete reluctance to make a tackle in the final third. So many of the goals we're conceding (2nd against Rovers, Lang's against Pompey, Reading's equalizer, Orient's winner etc. etc.) are the direct result of passive defending.....letting the opposition run at us, and trying to just position ourselves in the way when they get towards the goal. It's a style of defending that I see every time I turn on a Premier League game, and I'm sure it's what's taught up and down the City Group pipeline, but I'm just not certain that it's something that's going to work at League One level, where the majority of the defenders and defensive midfielders have gotten where they are on the back of their physical traits, strength and aggression. Their movement and positioning isn't perfect, and they're much more comfortable with getting stuck in and keeping the player & ball away from their goal.

I can understand why we hired Buckingham - he's off the same coaching tree as Manning, as well as being the local lad - but if it's going to work, he's going to have to wise up quickly that what worked in India and New Zealand isn't necessarily going to work at League One; and he's going to have to release the handbrake and give the players that need it the freedom to play more aggressive, physical football.
See Ciaron Brown for a perfect example of the regression made in this regard this season. Still lays the tackle in, but nowhere near as proactive as last year.

See Ciaron Brown for a perfect example of the regression made in this regard this season. Still lays the tackle in, but nowhere near as proactive as last year.
Agreed.
Obviously affected by the lack of confidence around and ahead of him

Agreed.
Obviously affected by the lack of confidence around and ahead of him
In both games last week he really lost his rag with team mates which is very out of character - I don’t remember seeing that from him even under Robinson. Very animated in response to the shite surrounding him which suggests some real frustration amongst the group.

He’s been superb this season but much like the rest of the squad since Des walked in it’s been a steady deterioration as the various parts of our collective game have fallen by the way side.

Maybe the players who are still trying to win games are getting frustrated with those senior players whose lack of effort has (according to @Leysboy ) cost the club 10-12 points

In both games last week he really lost his rag with team mates which is very out of character - I don’t remember seeing that from him even under Robinson. Very animated in response to the shite surrounding him which suggests some real frustration amongst the group.

He’s been superb this season but much like the rest of the squad since Des walked in it’s been a steady deterioration as the various parts of our collective game have fallen by the way side.
Brown works hard every game ,you can see there's frustration in the team you can see it with Cam shooting from every where .It's either with players or the manager something is right ,we can see it but somebody can't.

Grant Ferguson on yesterdays The Dub spoke about the support team Des has. That is how I understood it to be. They tried to give him what he wanted but the people he wanted did not want to work with him - for whatever reason. The non playing management side have a lot to answer for but the support they have given Des is not the bit that’s been lacking.

It’s got to the stage where the players should just go back to their natural way of playing and basically ignore Buckinghams bizarre game plans. It’s happened before where player power starts to over ride the shite tactics deployed by a manager. I think theres signs of it in Cam’s game - he’s all over the place trying to get a tune out of this team. I’m sure he’s playing in a way that isn’t how Buckingham is instructing him to play, other than that one game role he gave him just ahead of Cumming (the same game Leigh went up front🙄🙄🙄). Fair play to him though, he just needs the ten other sheep to follow and we might get our football team again.

Grant Ferguson on yesterdays The Dub spoke about the support team Des has. That is how I understood it to be. They tried to give him what he wanted but the people he wanted did not want to work with him - for whatever reason. The non playing management side have a lot to answer for but the support they have given Des is not the bit that’s been lacking.

When you see the style of football DB plays it’s hardly surprising no one wants to work with him. Looks like it’d be the death knell for any aspiring assistant or coach, to be associated with the dross we’ve been put through in the last three or four months.

What a great Dub it was this week. I would advise anyone listen to it.
Great analysis of us by Ben Purkiss.
Some very levelling comments and statements that paint a good perspective.
Have you got a link?

10 games for Des to secure top 6.

This league is very weak.

If only he had a half respectable record we’d be right up there and quite comfortable

Played 20
Wins 5
Draws 7
Losses 8
Points 22
PPG 1.1

Cheltenham coming to town next week, we will see if we can turn this terrible form around. Can Des out fox Daryl lose that and we really can forget the play offs

Back
Top Bottom