Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

plenty of people on this forum wanted him.
Personally I had absolutely no idea how suitable he was. Did anyone? He certainly didn't have a track record in English football to go on. We were assured he wasn't the cheap option, so presumably whoever decided he was the man to take over had some sort of reason to think he was suitable? I hope they weren't just seduced by that 'City Group' B*****s.

plenty of people on this forum wanted him.
Plenty of people on this forum (myself included) pointed out that John Eustace was a much more sensible appointment, given that he wouldn’t cost us any money in compensation and had been doing well at a Championship club.

He’s now at another Championship club and is doing better than Des is for us despite taking over a struggling side rather than one in second place.

The naive people in charge of this club either were starstruck by the whole ‘City Group’ thing or wanted someone with an Oxford connection for the PR. It clearly wasn’t the best appointment at the time, and has been proven so.

Personally I had absolutely no idea how suitable he was. Did anyone? He certainly didn't have a track record in English football to go on. We were assured he wasn't the cheap option, so presumably whoever decided he was the man to take over had some sort of reason to think he was suitable? I hope they weren't just seduced by that 'City Group' B*****s.
Unfortunately I think that is exactly what it was..

Hate to say it but upon reflection, I think Des could be a contender for the worst manager in the league which is emphasised by the performances and results. Not just that but the general gameplan and his presence on the touchline seems non-existent also. I just don’t feel or sense anything with how we set up or play and it’s really rubbed off on the players. Just goes to show how vital experience is as well as having the presence and personality to motivate players and fans alike.

The club just feels so dead right now and it’s staggering because we are supposed to be in a promotion race.

Hate to say it but upon reflection, I think Des could be a contender for the worst manager in the league which is emphasised by the performances and results. Not just that but the general gameplan and his presence on the touchline seems non-existent also. I just don’t feel or sense anything with how we set up or play and it’s really rubbed off on the players. Just goes to show how vital experience is as well as having the presence and personality to motivate players and fans alike.

The club just feels so dead right now and it’s staggering because we are supposed to be in a promotion race.
Exactly this

I’ll hold my hand up, I wanted him as manager but it’s been a disaster..

I did too. I maintain the evidence pointed towards a progressive, young, up and coming coach educated within the CFG and with a series of successes behind him. I fully understand the decision to go for him.

Theory doesn’t always match reality though. It certainly isn’t at the minute.

Remember even Brian Clough tanked at Leeds. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. It’s feeling like that now.

Plenty of people on this forum (myself included) pointed out that John Eustace was a much more sensible appointment, given that he wouldn’t cost us any money in compensation and had been doing well at a Championship club.

He’s now at another Championship club and is doing better than Des is for us despite taking over a struggling side rather than one in second place.
Well, he hasn't won a game yet so that might be a bit far.

Not to say that he wouldn't have been the better choice, indeed I'd have been happy with him and it's hard to see how he could have done any worse but things are bad enough without making things up to prove a point.

The only thing I can see saving Des is if the board sack him it's a public admission to their overlords that they've dropped an incredibly expensive clanger which I can see them trying to avoid. An early move would be a sign of strong leadership but I don't know if they have it in them.

The naive people in charge of this club either were starstruck by the whole ‘City Group’ thing or wanted someone with an Oxford connection for the PR. It clearly wasn’t the best appointment at the time, and has been proven so.
I also wanted Eustice but apparently this guy interviewed really well. The outstanding candidate apparently.

Des is a fraud who needs to be removed from our club immediately.

There's nothing on his CV either as a player or coach/manager that warranted him getting a football league job. His bi-annial interviews with the Oxford Mail and other local press kept his profile high locally and the board bought it as well as being starstruck by the City Group connection. He's over ambitious and and under qualified.

I hope he does have some humility and realises he's simply not good enough and does the right thing and resigns.

It doesn't look like he has the dressing room from tonight's performance. I highly doubt Murphy and McGuane for example will want to continue playing for an amateur. Relegation a real possibility if he stays next season.

Last edited:

Are you sure about Eustace? Blackburn 8 games without a win 🤔

Well, he hasn't won a game yet so that might be a bit far.

Not to say that he wouldn't have been the better choice, indeed I'd have been happy with him and it's hard to see how he could have done any worse but things are bad enough without making things up to prove a point.
IMG_7026.jpeg
🤔🤔🤔

Eustace hasn't won a game yet and could take Blackburn down.
He apparently wouldn't drop to L1 either

Remember even Brian Clough tanked at Leeds. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. It’s feeling like that now.

I may be wrong but iirc Clough was turned over by players who decided they didn't like him, the legacy of a poisonous ex-manager and equivocal support from the board that appointed him.

No idea if he brought in his own staff.

Back
Top Bottom