Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

How could Browne pass a medical at OUFC but not at Charlton?
I read that Charlton wanted to pay the fee in instalments based on games played. So not sure if that is true, but it doesn't suggest that he failed the medical?

It's a typical Robinson style transfer windows isn't it? Key areas that most feel need strengthening is a back up left back, centre back, defensive midfielder and another striker to compete with Taylor.

So, we sign a winger of course. And there'll probably be another winger in before 11pm Monday too!

Funny thing is, it seems to work. Here we're competing with bigger clubs in the playoff places for the third consecutive season. Perhaps we should trust the KR process?

I read that Charlton wanted to pay the fee in instalments based on games played. So not sure if that is true, but it doesn't suggest that he failed the medical?
Off their forum

Obviously Browne was the player who failed his medical despite Colin's and the plate catcher Dickplumb's porkies!

You really have got to question Steve Gallen’s future at the club.

He is wasting time & resources on unfit players.

Of course this has nothing to do with the Gillingham game. I suspect that it's about holding back a little on disclosing our ambitions in the transfer window. If other clubs know the kind of players we have brought in then they may well look to hold out for a high price, or players may push for higher wages. It's the only reason why I can think that we haven't announced those who have already signed.
Maybe the new signings could play with Mr Potato head disguises on. That would really confuse clubs and agents trying to beef up deals.

It's a typical Robinson style transfer windows isn't it? Key areas that most feel need strengthening is a back up left back, centre back, defensive midfielder and another striker to compete with Taylor.

So, we sign a winger of course. And there'll probably be another winger in before 11pm Monday too!

Funny thing is, it seems to work. Here we're competing with bigger clubs in the playoff places for the third consecutive season. Perhaps we should trust the KR process?
Unless someone is leaving or will be at the end of the season? For example, Sykes. Imagine there’s a longer term view as well.

He’s an expensive risk, that is for sure. Suspect this will not be a cheap deal by any means but if we get the version of Browne we remember and his head is in the right place, it’s got huge potential to push us on in a big way both this season and next, whichever division we are in.

I suppose the positive from his ACL is that he had it at an age where he should be more capable of a full recovery and move past it. Just hope he applies himself like we know he can and gets the bitt between his teeth because he’s so dangerous at this level.

Pleased to see Agyei get his move - in the cold light of day he isn’t a L1 player, at least not at the top end of the league so it was doing neither party any good him being here. Good luck to him.

Exciting end to the window 😁

Reported that it is a 450k deal (off the Addicks forum) and Charlton wanted to pay in instalments pending on his game time.

The point I made about not showing our hand wasn't part of some hugely deceitful act, it was about trying to rationalise why deals have been completed but not announced. And the key point to this is that TWO deals have been completed. Neither player was expected to feature today so there is no rush on that part. We have significantly increased the level of our transfer business in this window, and of course that won't be a secret from all clubs and agents, but when negotiating its useful to keep your cards close to your chest. But that is only one explanation of why announcements haven't yet been made. It may be that we're looking to make a series of announcements on Monday to maximise interest. It maybe that Bakrie or others want to be around for the unveiling of the new recruits. It maybe the club toying with us! It was just one explanation of why something that has definitely happened hasn't yet been shared.

I'd also anticipate that Browne is one of a few coming in, so not our only bit of big business.

He is versatile, like Sykes, but in a very different way. Not sure Sykes has worked out where he is most effective yet, whereas Browne performs to a high level wide, as a 10, deeper as an 8 or even up front. His tenacity off the ball is also a massive plus (ignoring one moment at Wembley) although he'll need to work on his discipline. If he has lost a yard of pace and a bit of that explosiveness with the injury, he has the techinical ability and energy to be be a very good attacking central midfielder.

Back
Top Bottom