Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I do this to myself, but can you give one single quote from Des Buckingham, or indeed anyone but yourself, where they have wanted 6 ADDITIONAL players, and therefore a net gain on numbers within the playing squad?

You appear obsessed with something that no one has ever said!
Des mentioned "upto 6" signings. I'm pretty certain at that point he knew that Beadle, Mills, Perkins and Edwards were leaving, and Bennett wasn't certain to extend.

He said “up to 6 signings” in the week after the Coventry game, where Perkins was already back, Edwards was sent that week so we must’ve known, Beadle didn’t play because we knew he was going back and Mills was injured in that game.

Since then we signed,
1)Bennett
2)Cummings
3)Burey
4)Edwards

He stated on “The Dub” that Bennett was seen as 1 of the 6, so I assume the same rule for Edwards applies.

It seems like Goodwin would make 5 and we’re chasing loan deals to be 6.

For once our management made a statement on transfers which is true 😂

We shouldn’t get too caught up in the number anyway, we could see 3/4 more, we may only see 1 and that’s football.

We’ve put ourselves in a much stronger position already which the (5) that we’ve got.

I think the play offs is a real possibility

He said “up to 6 signings” in the week after the Coventry game, where Perkins was already back, Edwards was sent that week so we must’ve known, Beadle didn’t play because we knew he was going back and Mills was injured in that game.

Since then we signed,
1)Bennett
2)Cummings
3)Burey
4)Edwards

He stated on “The Dub” that Bennett was seen as 1 of the 6, so I assume the same rule for Edwards applies.

It seems like Goodwin would make 5 and we’re chasing loan deals to be 6.

For once our management made a statement on transfers which is true 😂

We shouldn’t get too caught up in the number anyway, we could see 3/4 more, we may only see 1 and that’s football.

We’ve put ourselves in a much stronger position already which the (5) that we’ve got.

I think the play offs is a real possibility
We need another wide player and another striker this window or I think we’ll still be short in both areas, at least until (and if) Edwards gets fit. Think we will see two come in as well.

Yeah, we've got two loan spots left - it would be surprising if we didn't use them.

Definitely be another winger in, we need a good stock of them with the attrition rate in that role at the club, but I will be intrigued what other position we bring in if we do, probably tell us what style Buckingham wants to play.

As a consequence of previous failings of the club, I don't think it's unreasonable to say we needed 5 additional players going into the window. We have 3 players in the squad who aren't able to / don't contribute (Henry, Browne, Murphy). We spent the first half of the season a striker short, and it appeared unlikely that Edwards was going to be able to play again this season. That's your 5.

For a variety of reasons (budgetary, time-restrictions, etc.), we were never likely to bring 5 additional players in, but that doesn't mean we didn't/don't need them.

FWIW, I would give the window a C+ so far. Cummings is arguably a better keeper than Beadle, I'm not convinced by Burey but let's say for argument's sake he's on par with Mills, and Bennett and Edwards were already in the building. I know little about Goodwin (other than seeing him have a good game against us earlier in the season), but if the recruitment team believe he's worth £200-300k then I'm fairly positive about him joining (if he plays at all he'll be an improvement on Perkins!). We still need a more experienced striker (allowing us to send GO'D going out on loan), we need a winger to replace Edwards until Edwards is fit enough to replace Edwards, and - as I've previously stated - we need a midfielder (IMO).

As a consequence of previous failings of the club, I don't think it's unreasonable to say we needed 5 additional players going into the window. We have 3 players in the squad who aren't able to / don't contribute (Henry, Browne, Murphy). We spent the first half of the season a striker short, and it appeared unlikely that Edwards was going to be able to play again this season. That's your 5.

For a variety of reasons (budgetary, time-restrictions, etc.), we were never likely to bring 5 additional players in, but that doesn't mean we didn't/don't need them.

FWIW, I would give the window a C+ so far. Cummings is arguably a better keeper than Beadle, I'm not convinced by Burey but let's say for argument's sake he's on par with Mills, and Bennett and Edwards were already in the building. I know little about Goodwin (other than seeing him have a good game against us earlier in the season), but if the recruitment team believe he's worth £200-300k then I'm fairly positive about him joining (if he plays at all he'll be an improvement on Perkins!). We still need a more experienced striker (allowing us to send GO'D going out on loan), we need a winger to replace Edwards until Edwards is fit enough to replace Edwards, and - as I've previously stated - we need a midfielder (IMO).

If we have spent £400K on Goodwin and he is only on a two and a half year contract, considering he is coming from being a starting centre forward at the same level, he is not just one for the future and is coming here to play now, so I can't see us bringing an experienced centre forward in, perhaps a young lad on loan but we play one up top so maybe not even that.

I’d really like to see us sign someone who adds a bit of height and physicality to our midfield. It always seems to me that when we play the better sides we tend to get bullied around a bit too easily in midfield and lose out physically as much as anything technical.

When we play 1 striker, I’d say that was enough.
We play 1 up front, but ideally you probably want two of your strikers getting minutes in every match, which is something we have really missed at times this season. Think GOD has shown that he isn't ready to contribute yet, so I'd be bringing one in and sending him out. I'm pretty sure that's the plan as well.

We play 1 up front, but ideally you probably want two of your strikers getting minutes in every match, which is something we have really missed at times this season. Think GOD has shown that he isn't ready to contribute yet, so I'd be bringing one in and sending him out. I'm pretty sure that's the plan as well.
I’d still send GoD out on loan, but go with two strikers. We have others who can play up top too. Bodin did quite well there earlier in the season. I’d rather get an extra midfielder in and a winger rather than a third striker.

In we get in Goodwin, it will free up Harris to play wide up front. Probably his preferred position anyway. Will be like signing another winger

GOD should be sent out on loan & we should be looking at a young highly rated striker. Jude Soonsup Bell at Spurs would fit the bill perfectly.
The question is where to on loan? Given his lack of progress this season (not necessarily his fault in my view), surely he would be looking at conference or even conference South/North?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom