National News Joey Barton

I think Barton will work again only if he goes on Im A Celebrity ...

They wouldn't touch him on there. He will exist in the same nasty world as Katie Hopkins and Lawrence Fox, speaking out against the wokerati on increasingly obscure social media platforms until he goes too far and ends up getting sued or ending up in prison again for mindless violence.

It a different game. Quicker, more physical and much more competitive.

As a badged coach who currently coaches a number of elite girls teams here in Texas I’d semantically challenge you on the above.

The men’s game is quicker. Agreed.

Proportionally speaking to size there’s no difference in physicality. The girls game can be brutal and up to u11 or u12 level they’ll happily beat an equivalent boys team. If a boy gets hit in a tackle he tends to be slower getting up and makes more of a fuss.

Competitive …I’m not sure what you actually mean by the use of that word. Boys care more? Nope. You’ll have to define it for me to be able to agree

I’ll say this. Girls tend to play better as a team and pass better whereas boys tend to want to dribble 1v1 more. That’s the biggest recognizable difference . I don’t think it would preclude someone from understanding the other genders game play or commenting on it. Tactically it’s very similar.

Last edited:
And there it is, someone that doesn’t agree, automatically falls back on the misogynist claim.

It’s lazy.

Had her colour been referenced. Would those that question her role be automatically racist, too?
Barton is a misogynist. It’s not lazy to call him that. He discounts women from commentating because they are women, not just “referencing” their gender.
If he said black people aren’t qualified to commentate, then that would be racist.

As for women’s football being a “different game”. What a load of old pony.

As a badged coach who currently coaches a number of elite girls teams here in Texas I’d semantically challenge you on the above.

Proportionally speaking to size there’s no difference in physicality. The girls game can be brutal and up to u11 or u12 level they’ll happily beat an equivalent boys team. If a boy gets hit in a tackle he tends to be slower getting up and makes more of a fuss.

Competitive …I’m not sure what you actually mean by the use of that word. Boys care more? Nope. You’ll have to define it for me to be able to agree

I’ll say this. Girls tend to play better as a team and pass better whereas boys tend to want to dribble 1v1 more. That’s the biggest recognizable difference . I don’t think it would preclude someone from understanding the other genders game play or commenting on it. Tactically it’s very similar.
I work in education nothing to do with football but young female students listen to what you tell them, whereas male students think they already know it all.

Not all posts are filled by white males? Heaven forfend!

I suppose it beats private sector nepotism and old school tie leg ups.

That is not what I said, in any selection process you should select the best candidate to do the job effectively. Irrespective of gender, colour etc.

You certainly do not "pre-select" candidates because of those protected characteristics because that can tip the see saw the wrong way when you are seeking the best candidate for the job.

Our HR remove all protected characteristics from the candidate list before the recruitment panel shortlist and interview the candidates. That is fine, removes any unconscious bias.

However their "candidate listing" process scores candidates based on meeting the requirements for the job again perfectly fine.

But then they "plus/add" said characteristics.

So why should a self identified skin colour, gender, disability etc score an individual more?

That’s boys and girls though, by the age of 15 they have gone so far apart that an under 15s boys team can beat a top class women’s team, so that’s a huge gap opening up very quickly.

Anyone can have an opinion on football, look at this place, but to be paid to have an opinion on the basis of your experience of playing the game (which is what the ex players male or female are there for) I don’t think ex professional women’s players have played at a relative level to the premier league to be in the job.

Obviously you get people who have never played the game but have a good insight etc, they bring something different and earn a place as a pundit through that which is fair enough but I don’t think that applies to the majority of ex women footballers, they have neither the experience or the insight and are just there because they are women.

They wouldn't touch him on there. He will exist in the same nasty world as Katie Hopkins and Lawrence Fox, speaking out against the wokerati on increasingly obscure social media platforms until he goes too far and ends up getting sued or ending up in prison again for mindless violence.
IMG_6153.jpeg

Next stop GB News. Knows his audience and that audience are lapping his antics up.

I work in education nothing to do with football but young female students listen to what you tell them, whereas male students think they already know it all.

Same applies in coaching football from my experience. Girls are far more coachable. They’ll follow directions and game plans far better. The one area that holds them back though is the maverick creativity that comes with a less coachable individual sometimes. I’m speaking in generalizations obviously and there is a spectrum on both sides.

I always find it interesting when people respond to any prejudice, be it racism, sexism, homophobia etc with more of it, just from a different angle

I always find it interesting when people respond to any prejudice, be it racism, sexism, homophobia etc with more of it, just from a different angle

I took that more as a fact based comment due to experience rather than any sort of prejudice.

I think this is where life has become such a minefield of fine lines now, we really can’t do or say anything without someone finding an angle to see things as being said in a derogatory way.

As they say, if people want to be offended, they will find a way.

I took that more as a fact based comment due to experience rather than any sort of prejudice.

I think this is where life has become such a minefield of fine lines now, we really can’t do or say anything without someone finding an angle to see things as being said in a derogatory way.

As they say, if people want to be offended, they will find a way.
If it’s fine to say that women listen while men ‘think they know it all’, then what Barton said is fine also, you’re just arguing about whether he was right or not. It’s also fine to say ‘Black people always X, while white people X!’ then.

Personally I think it would be better if we treated everyone like unique individuals…

Like it or not, we are in a world where equality supersedes quality, that’s as clear as day. It’s not the world I’d choose - I’d always want the best in class whether that’s female, male, transgender or whatever. Barton is a moron and if he had any sense he’d get his point across in a far more educated way. The basis of his argument probably has some validity, punditry has become a box ticking exercise rather than one of getting the very best attainable to pass comment on what us viewers are watching. We are almost at the point where one of the pundits will be a fan off the street who’s never kicked a ball - that’s probably 5-10 years away.

I hope we have some female fans brave enough to put their perspective on this thread
Most of the people I go to games with are women, and I've asked for their opinion on what's been said and surprisingly while they don't agree with the way Barton says it, they agreed with the essence of what he is saying. The general feeling is they just want whoever is best at the job, which certainly isn't Aluko.

I know the retort to any criticism of female pundits is often 'there are bad male pundits too', but in my view the reason it's a gender issue is because can anyone honestly say that Aluko would be in as many roles as she is if she wasn't a woman? Probably not, and I think that's ultimately the point.