Ex Player Josh Ruffels

alright guys, huddersfield fan here. we are signing josh ruffels apparently in the next few days. just after your thoughts? not had time to go through the full 17 pages, but seen a few doubting he'd be able to step up to championship level? he'd be coming in as cover at left back for Toffolo and we seem to be targetting hard workers from the lower leagues this window - not sure if that fits with ruffels or not? think we've all had enough of the half arsed attitudes from some of the players we've bought from europe so personally i'm happy with these sorts of signings for back up. think most of us appreciate good honest pro's over talent!
Noooo, he's one of our own! He's not a great player but a really good guy and has become quite a goal scorer and maker as well.

alright guys, huddersfield fan here. we are signing josh ruffels apparently in the next few days. just after your thoughts?
Think the concensus here was that he was going to Nottingham Forest, interesting to see where he ends up.

Will be fine as back up I'd imagine, bit different from Turton (who I think is more of a solid defender) in that he's more attacking. Definitely a hard worker though, should be ok for a squad player.

alright guys, huddersfield fan here. we are signing josh ruffels apparently in the next few days. just after your thoughts? not had time to go through the full 17 pages, but seen a few doubting he'd be able to step up to championship level? he'd be coming in as cover at left back for Toffolo and we seem to be targetting hard workers from the lower leagues this window - not sure if that fits with ruffels or not? think we've all had enough of the half arsed attitudes from some of the players we've bought from europe so personally i'm happy with these sorts of signings for back up. think most of us appreciate good honest pro's over talent!
Bit out of nowhere, I think everyone here was waiting for him to sign for Forest.

Over 300 appearances for us across L2 and L1, started as a CM and was moved to LB a few seasons ago and made the role his own. The man has heart and passion and as a person I think most here would agree it would be sad to see him go, but as a player there's some doubts over his ability to make the step up. What you'll absolutely get from him is a 100% effort, but I think the top wingers in the Championship will eat him for breakfast, as the top wingers in L1 have at times this season.

He's good going forward, but he's not a quick, overlapping full back, more one to make a late run at the far post to tap in a cross, and is decent in the air too. Defensively I think he was the weak point in a solid back 4, but that's a back 4 that had our player of the season at RB, a L1 team of the season and PFA team of the season player in CB, and our captain CB who is a man mountain, so not all bad.

Coming in as a back up at LB in the Championship I think is a decent signing for you. Think the consensus here is we'd like him to stay but if he does go he's not irreplaceable which I think suggests his level.

Will be sad to see Ruffs leave, he’s a model pro, regular 7/10 performer, committed and rarely gets injured.

He might struggle at Championship level though.

Weather he stays or leaves, it needs to be sorted ASAP, so we can know what we need, and get on with our own business

I'll be sad to see Ruffs leave, but I think it's inevitable. At this stage in his career he'd be mad not to accept a Championship contract on higher wages, and full backs are often rotated so he'll get get time.

Not sure whether he'd cope too well with Championship wingers, but he's a good passer, good close control, can pop up with goals and assists etc. Certainly a good backup option anyway.

Just message Scotchers. He knows everything.

He will be good back up.
For a left back he is very good in the air and having created 6 goals last season and scored 6, he causes a lot of problems in the opposition penalty area.
Not the quickest and like any full back he can look very exposed against a good winger, but a wide man supporting him can help in this regard.
I am sure that all Oxford supporters will wish him the best if he goes to the Championship

He will get absolutely rinsed by Championship wingers. Jordan Obita was (nominally) better than him defensively and he got his a**e handed to him every time he played after he got transferred to Wycombe.

Good look to the bloke though, nobody would begrudge him making more money after all he has given for us over the years.

He will get absolutely rinsed by Championship wingers. Jordan Obita was (nominally) better than him defensively and he got his a**e handed to him every time he played after he got transferred to Wycombe.

Good look to the bloke though, nobody would begrudge him making more money after all he has given for us over the years.
Well said - I was trying to work out how to say something similar, but felt bad about being unnecessarily critical because he is the perfect professional and the kind of man you want in your setup as part of a strong culture.

It's true though ... looking at this season, he had a patch of a few games where his defensive positioning was all over the shop. That got (mostly) fixed but he’s still prone to getting skinned and turned by good wingers. With an even better set of opposing wingers it could be a real struggle.

To be honest ruffles has been a very good servant to the football club he’s also a local lad but as other have said in the championship I don’t think if we had got promoted and stayed up for a couple of seasons he would have been first choice in the end he’s not very quick and decent wingers will destroy him with ease but I like the bloke and wish h well

He isn’t a championship level left back, not unless he improves dramatically, but he is a decent lad who will chip in with a few goals. In all honesty the only way I could see him being a success at championship level is as a left wing back, the defensive side of his game is that lacking (he started out as a midfielder and didn’t make the move to left back until a few seasons back).

Shows the amount of money in the championship when they can afford to blow us out of the water in contract terms for (what will be to them) a reserve left back.

Feel a bit bad being so harsh about him as he has been a good servant here, sort of came through from youth level and has earned respect for what he has achieved, hope he proves me wrong and does well wherever he goes (unless it’s Reading).

He isn’t a championship level left back, not unless he improves dramatically, but he is a decent lad who will chip in with a few goals. In all honesty the only way I could see him being a success at championship level is as a left wing back, the defensive side of his game is that lacking (he started out as a midfielder and didn’t make the move to left back until a few seasons back).

Shows the amount of money in the championship when they can afford to blow us out of the water in contract terms for (what will be to them) a reserve left back.

Feel a bit bad being so harsh about him as he has been a good servant here, sort of came through from youth level and has earned respect for what he has achieved, hope he proves me wrong and does well wherever he goes (unless it’s Reading).

The one thing I will say about Josh Ruffels is whenever questions about him being good enough have been asked, he has stepped his game up and developed so he could easily do that again.

Always knew he was leaving, and I think it was quite obvious when he didn’t accept a new contract that was being offered.

I wish him well, and I hope he does well wherever he ends up. He will chip in with goals, and don’t expect him to be a starter week in week out at that level. Good luck to ruffs.

Well said - I was trying to work out how to say something similar, but felt bad about being unnecessarily critical because he is the perfect professional and the kind of man you want in your setup as part of a strong culture.

It's true though ... looking at this season, he had a patch of a few games where his defensive positioning was all over the shop. That got (mostly) fixed but he’s still prone to getting skinned and turned by good wingers. With an even better set of opposing wingers it could be a real struggle.
Don’t think it helped him having a Barker or Shodipo playing in front of him. Neither much use in the trenches

Good luck Ruffs, a steady player who rarely let us down , a bench warmer in the championship but with a bigger bank balance

Back
Top Bottom