Ex Player Josh Ruffels

Like most on here, I'll be a little surprised as and when Ruffels does end up in the Championship - because for all his attacking prowess, he's always struggled defensively against wingers that play at that level. Plus, he turns 28 in October, so he's not going to improve massively at this point in his career.

But wish him well because he's been an outstanding servant to the club. Shame he's going now though, because one more season, and he'd have made it onto this list:

Barring Easty magically getting his job back, it's unlikely we're going to see anyone else make that list any time soon. Either James Henry would have to keep playing for us (and barely miss a game) for another three seasons, or Cam would have to do that for four!

Being available on a free is a massive boost for clubs and makes you much more attractive. I doubt Championship clubs would have been bidding for Ruffels this summer if he had 2-3 years left on a contract here, but if a solid/decent performer from one of the best clubs in the league below you is available on a free, a lot of low/mid table clubs will decide to go for it, especially if they’ll take what, to you, is a fairly low wage

Good luck to him, he might get a few games starting, but he'll usually just be on the bench.
Either way, he'll double, at least, his wages.

Ruffels has absolutely earned his chance for a payday and to test himself at Championship level. A shame not to get a fee but he was probably a low earner throughout much of his time here so he’s certainly been good value.

Will watch his career with interest and best of luck to the guy.

I remember thinking that Ruffels was absolutely at the height of his career when we got promoted to League 1 5 years ago. I think it shows his professionalism and application that he has squeezed every bit of talent and now has a chance to play in the Championship. He's technically limited at that level, but I can't knock his commitment at all. I believe he regularly came back to pre season training as one of the fittest players and he has consistently looked after himself. Good luck to him.

Remember when Bournemouth got promoted to the premier league, they kept quite a few of their squad and indeed the guys played for more than their first season. I'd just love it if Huddersfield got promoted! Good luck Josh!!

Back
Top Bottom