New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Thats fine. Just why on earth would someone who wants to sit all game, every game buy a ticket/ST where the standing support would definitely be.
Just use common sense where a seat is bought and its no problem for anyone.
Perhaps they might like the view of the pitch from behind the goal....

The discussion isn't about people standing up, it's a safe standing area so to be expected. It is about the ability for people to congregate with friends without having to worry about all booking tickets at the same time to be together. That's where the reduction in capacity comes from. If everyone stands in their ticketed space then 100% capacity. If you want the ability to stand anywhere, there is a 10% reduction in capacity for that area.
Okay. I'd have thought anyone buying a seat for that area would be of a mindset to be flexible where they do actually sit/stand, as there will obviously be room for all, without needed to get stewards involved. Maybe that's wishful thinking in that fans can be sensible and regulate themselves.

Perhaps they might like the view of the pitch from behind the goal....
Well, if there is a designated safe standing area behind the goal and they choose to buy a ticket there, they have no option to complain of people standing

sparrowhawks are lethal , I videoed one demolishing a starling in my back garden a few years back..

But what if I want to stand in the rail seating section? I.e. buy a season ticket there with my friends/family and have the same spot reserved each game. How would making the spots unreserved make it any better?
In my feedback to the club I've suggested there should be additional rail seating behind the opposite goal that is fully allocated, to allow for this situation too.

In general though, some really good thoughts and feedback in this thread on the topic, and lots of different ideas and solutions being thrown out. I'd hope the club are monitoring this forum too as a source of ideas and more instant/reactive feedback to the plans.

It could just be the case of the club leaving 2 or 3 rows free at the back of one block, where you can't reserve seats so that anyone can move there if they wish to.
I was hoping for something bigger than this (I was hoping for the entire stand!), but would also be interested in compromise solutions from the club if something smaller scale would work, rather than having nothing.

I'd hope the club are monitoring this forum too as a source of ideas and more instant/reactive feedback to the plans.

Not formally which is why it's really important to share thoughts, concerns, ideas or grumbles via the link on the stadium website.

This whole discussion is ridiculous. Talk of "odd misery" or "miserable old sod" for wanting to sit in a seat you've paid for! Even the away day "unwritten law" is nonsense, probably born from the Conference days on the terraces. Big clubs with much bigger support manage to sit in the seats they are allocated, it isn't difficult.
As far as I’m aware all OUFC games at home people with ST sit in their seats away from home it’s sit where the hell you want.
Back in the real days of football not conference but the major days we didn’t have seating but you went in and stood where you could. But regarding safe standing rail seating or whatever will be allocated in the stadium before ST seats are bought they will not sell ST seats if there is a possibility of the safe standing or rail seats would be in operation ar that location. If an ST holder wants to stand I’m sure something positive will be in operation l.

The discussion isn't about people standing up, it's a safe standing area so to be expected. It is about the ability for people to congregate with friends without having to worry about all booking tickets at the same time to be together. That's where the reduction in capacity comes from. If everyone stands in their ticketed space then 100% capacity. If you want the ability to stand anywhere, there is a 10% reduction in capacity for that area.
You would though like to think that anyone buying a ticket in the safe standing section is more likely to also happily get involved in chants, if the club were to label a section as the singing section, supporters would know what they are going to expect. No need in my mind for it to be unreserved in this instance.

Several clubs look like they have either trialled it or actively have one

Bottom line is that whilst designing and building a stadium from scratch we should absolutely accommodate those that want to stand, and those that want to sit, and neither experience should be compromised.

We will have home fans behind both goals so you can have rail seating behind one, and seats behind the other as I know that there are plenty of fans who sing with the best of them but can't comfortably stand for 90 minutes.

The use of all seats, railed or otherwise, will likely be through normal booking and allocation. However, there should be a little flexibility from all involved if people want to sit/stand in empty spaces alongside their peers. But hopefully people will also take a little responsibility for making this easier by pre-booking seats in the same area as their mates rather than hoping/expecting others to move.

But as I've said before, it is really important to share all your views with the Project team via the Oxford Stadium website.

You would though like to think that anyone buying a ticket in the safe standing section is more likely to also happily get involved in chants, if the club were to label a section as the singing section, supporters would know what they are going to expect. No need in my mind for it to be unreserved in this instance.
Yeah I agree, but there are some who want to be able to decide where to stand when they get into the ground, that's where the unreserved option would come in. It would allow the most 'terrace-like' experience possible. If in this scenario people want to get in early to bagsy the best places to stand, then they can.

Interesting that Ipswich will put the singers in "Block A of the Cobbold Stand" - top left of the image.

1698160152229.png

Leicester not much better as also in the corner, albeit "behind the goal"

Does that imply that if you want to sing you're not too concerned about your view ?
If so, where would that place the singing / safe standing section in the new stadium......

Last edited:
Interesting that Ipswich will put the singers in "Block A of the Cobbold Stand" - top left of the image.

View attachment 16397

Leicester not much better as also in the corner, albeit "behind the goal"

Does that imply that if you want to sing you're not too concerned about your view ?
If so, where would that place the singing / safe standing section in the new stadium......
Because it is high up close to the roof for acoustic reasons maybe? Or is that close to the away fans?

Yeah I agree, but there are some who want to be able to decide where to stand when they get into the ground, that's where the unreserved option would come in. It would allow the most 'terrace-like' experience possible. If in this scenario people want to get in early to bagsy the best places to stand, then they can.
But as this is not permitted for rail seating, the next best solution is a dedicated area to buy tickets, you'll be with like-minded people.

Not really sure there is a way for the club to deliver on what some are suggesting even if they did want to.

Back
Top Bottom