General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having spent some time in both I would choose Abingdon over Didcot in a heartbeat, the river, proper pubs a short walk from each other. Didcot has an average shopping centre (that you can drive to from Abingdon in ten minutes anyway) and a train station, other than that nothing really going for it, it has the worst nightlife in Oxfordshire actually.

If Abingdon got a train station (Oxfordshires local rail network is a joke) it would be a spot on little town.

No it’s not but they spent a fortune doing up Bury street and what a waste of money the shut all the upper levels of the charter multi storey car park for repairs over 2 years ago but no one has been into repair it. They’ve closed the public toilets in the charter car park nearest being the abbey meadows which if you’re elderly or disabled is ridiculous. Now Didcot had that gloomy look about the town but they used common sense and came up with the orchard centre which has transformed the town.
Compare the two, Abingdon is the very poor comparison.
Layla may not be their MP but she should have a chat with her local council to see how things could be improved.
She is quick to jump on things that will give her some air time or free press but rather than her saying after her visit to business in her constituency and reports that 100’s have left because of Brexit she should concentrate on the state of it and see if their is something that could be done to bring about some positivity in the Vale.
But back to @OX14 response at least he got one but she isn’t giving her support, and with her stance in the 4,400 houses in Yarnton, Begbroke and Kidlington which she is against, sadly we won’t get any support from her
Yes Bazzer agree
You obviously live in Abingdon as does OX14 we should get together for a pint

Having spent some time in both I would choose Abingdon over Didcot in a heartbeat, the river, proper pubs a short walk from each other. Didcot has an average shopping centre (that you can drive to from Abingdon in ten minutes anyway) and a train station, other than that nothing really going for it, it has the worst nightlife in Oxfordshire actually.

If Abingdon got a train station (Oxfordshires local rail network is a joke) it would be a spot on little town.
Used to have one but if anyone will get a new station it should be Grove

Used to have one but if anyone will get a new station it should be Grove

Problem with Abingdon station the line was only single track and not on a main line. Once the MG factory closed it didn't have a purpose. Grove needs a station I agree with.

That response is a copy and paste job and identical to an email I received from Layla Moran a few months ago.

Also, can anyone access OxVox's website today? Seems offline?

Layla Moran emailed me back, very surprising since I only emailed her yesterday afternoon. Her response here.

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me about the proposal by Oxford United Football Club to build a new stadium at Stratfield Brake.

Earlier this year, I met with local councillors at Stratfield Brake to discuss the proposals and later sent a survey to local residents. There was a very high response with strong support for both sides on the debate, with a majority of local residents opposed, on balance, but strong support for the plans from Oxford United fans across the county.

Key concerns about the plans include the threat to the Green Belt, increased traffic, parking problems and the need to protect the woodland. Positives include having a permanent long term home for the club and the potential for investment in much better active travel infrastructure locally.

I have encouraged the County Council Cabinet to keep discussions going with both the club and with local parish councils to try to find a solution which is acceptable to everyone.

As this is a decision taken by the County Council, I would urge you to share your views with your local County Councillor. You can find out who they are here: https://www.writetothem.com/

Best wishes,
Layla

Layla Moran
Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament for Oxford West & Abingdon

A fairly typical, but not unreasonable response from Layla Moran. She has stated that a survey was carried out and has reflected the outcome of that but giving a fair response to both sides. She also listed a couple of positives and negatives of a potential move before pointing out that the decision will be taken by the County Council and provided links to them.

We were never going to get a letter offering unwavering support for the stadium alongside a photo of Layla and Timmy Mallett wearing horned baseball caps!

However, what we can do is show the huge levels of support for the stadium throughout the county and her constituency in particular. Whilst she has a pretty healthy majority of nearly 9000, that could soon disappear with a decision that directly impacts several thousand Oxford United fans as well as non-football fans who also support major development within the county.

Every email reinforces the importance of the stadium project, and everyone needs to present the club and its supporters in a positive yet determined light. People need to be polite and talk up the benefit to the club and the community and help Layla realise that she has a very important role in encouraging the CC to make the right decision.

Weird, I get this:

View attachment 10978

Can someone please post all the cabinet members email address on here? I want to forward my email to them all.
Below are the email addresses of all cabinet members:

Liz Leffman (Cabinet Chair) liz.leffman@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Liz Brighouse (Deputy Chair) liz.brighouse@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Glynis Phillips glynis.phillips@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Pete Sudbury pete.sudbury@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Tim Bearder tim.bearder@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Duncan Enright duncan.enright@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Calum Miller calum.miller@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Jenny Hannaby jenny.hannaby@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Mark Lygo mark.lygo@oxfordshire.gov.uk
Andrew Gant andrew.gant@oxfordshire.gov.uk

Liz Leffman is the cabinet chair and would be a good choice to send to, but all members can be contacted.

As well as contacting the cabinet, an email to your local County Councillor will reinforce this message. You can find out who your County Councillor is by entering your postcode at this website: https://www.writetothem.com/.

If you are a resident of Kidlington then your emails are vital.

Emailed all the Oxon County councillor cabinet members

random though - while they're all dealing with a deluge of emails re SB , will that not delay them in progressing with the SB project?

Weird, I get this:

View attachment 10978

Can someone please post all the cabinet members email address on here? I want to forward my email to them all.
That's not good. That smells like a "Local DNS Hijack" which basically means some nasty bit of malware is redirecting your request to the OxVox website to another - if you're lucky it's just to a shopping site but if I was taking the trouble to develop and deploy one of those things, I'd be after a lot more data from your PC than just whether you have expressed an interest in a football supporters group.

If I were you, I'd be getting off the internet and getting your Anti-Virus program running a deep scan to try and establish whether you have an infection, in which case you can remove it. If you can get rid of it, I'd contemplate reverting you PC back to a time when things worked properly using the restore functionality of your backup program. I'd probably change my router password once you've got a "clean" machine back.

'Bribed'.

All credit to the County Council for attracting overseas investment during this tricky economic time I'd say.

Will KPC allow it though?

Screenshot_20221129_175628_Twitter.jpg

I would suggest going legal on the County Council and using freedom of information requests is an attack.

What we're doing is lobbying. Get your emails in fellow yellows.Screenshot_20221129_182230_Facebook.jpg

Emailed all the Oxon County councillor cabinet members

random though - while they're all dealing with a deluge of emails re SB , will that not delay them in progressing with the SB project?
I’m still waiting for my reply from Sally Povolski

I’m still waiting for my reply from Sally Povolski

I'm not expecting a response but then I don't need one. I've made a request to them and now I want them to get on with it one way or another. Actions speak louder than words.

The bus gate proposals got resolved today so that's out of the way, OUFC’s new stadium should be added to the agenda now.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20221201_151618_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20221201_151637_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20221201_151656_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20221201_151714_Facebook.jpg

Plans of this size and value can't be rushed. And OCC are supportive because as they rightly said:

"As the county‘s only professional football league club, we know that Oxford United is close to the hearts of thousands of people across this county. OUFC has a long and distinguished history and is an integral part of the county’s heritage and presence. We are therefore working hard with OUFC to help the club secure a long-term home in the county and realise its vision for a world-class community sports hub"

It's commonplace for councils to be supportive and proud of their county’s sports clubs.

View attachment 10992View attachment 10993View attachment 10994View attachment 10995

Plans of this size and value can't be rushed. And OCC are supportive because as they rightly said:

"As the county‘s only professional football league club, we know that Oxford United is close to the hearts of thousands of people across this county. OUFC has a long and distinguished history and is an integral part of the county’s heritage and presence. We are therefore working hard with OUFC to help the club secure a long-term home in the county and realise its vision for a world-class community sports hub"

It's commonplace for councils to be supportive and proud of their county’s sports clubs.

I read that as the £50k is for the lease, not the value for the freehold. Have FOSB got that right or are they wrong again?

Last edited:
Is the £1 rent thing true? I've seen it quoted by FoSB on numerous occasions. I thought that would be what OUFC pay to the stadium operating company, not the entire fee due to authorities for the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom