General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading this wrong or does this smack of desperation from Oxvox/The Club ?

Why all of a sudden are we being asked to send letters/e mails if as we are told the Club have it under control?

Are things not going as planned?

Hope I’m wrong and things are going as they should but there was always a lot of unknowns about this move

Am I reading this wrong or does this smack of desperation from Oxvox/The Club ?

Why all of a sudden are we being asked to send letters/e mails if as we are told the Club have it under control?

Are things not going as planned?

Hope I’m wrong and things are going as they should but there was always a lot of unknowns about this move
I tend to agree. It just seems very odd. I understand the fans not being remotely in the loop, but we have been told that all is going to plan.
Then this E Mail. I will write an appropriate letter, but something doesn't really seem right

I tend to agree. It just seems very odd. I understand the fans not being remotely in the loop, but we have been told that all is going to plan.
Then this E Mail. I will write an appropriate letter, but something doesn't really seem right

I assume the club have now submitted the document that shows their intentions of the site, they now want as many of us to put pressure on councillors to make the decision to allow us to lease the land so that the planning application can go in early next year. Without this written confirmation then I can't see how the club can proceed with submitting a planning application.

I assume the club have now submitted the document that shows their intentions of the site, they now want as many of us to put pressure on councillors to make the decision to allow us to lease the land so that the planning application can go in early next year. Without this written confirmation then I can't see how the club can proceed with submitting a planning application.
Sent my email to my county Councillor….and now the long wait for a potential reply.

A response from FoSB with Paul Peros firmly in their sights:

Screenshot_20221128_230046_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221128_230108_Facebook.jpg

As for 'strong arming' we're emailing our elected representatives as every Oxfordshire resident is perfectly entitled to do. 'Strong arming' is using legal routes like Freedom of Information request to intimidate councillors and council officers to extract confidential information from them.

Yet more comments with more than a hint of snobbery on their post:

Screenshot_20221128_231047_Facebook.jpg

Don't let prejudice and nimbyism win, email your councillor and the OCC cabinet. I actually misunderstood OxVox's request and only sent my email to my councillor rather than the entire cabinet so I have forwarded my email onto them all using the email addresses in OxVox's call to action.

Last edited:

View attachment 10975
View attachment 10976

As for 'strong arming' we're emailing our elected representatives as every Oxfordshire resident is perfectly entitled to do. 'Strong arming' is using legal routes like Freedom of Information request to intimidate councillors and council officers to extract confidential information from them.

View attachment 10977

Don't let prejudice and nimbyism win, email your councillor and the OCC cabinet. I actually misunderstood OxVox's request and only sent my email to my councillor rather than the entire cabinet so I have forwarded my email onto them all using the email addresses in OxVox's call to action.

Hardly a snap decision. They've had 9 months to decide since they deferred the original request.

Something the FoSB need to realise (and a hi to our FoSB interlopers on here)... OxVox is an INDEPENDENT group, it is not OUFC.

Also the language, again. "inciting fans"? This is Daily Mail level scaremongering from FoSB. Are we to infer that they are not bombarding Council officials with letters? It's just hipocracy of the highest order.

Layla Moran emailed me back, very surprising since I only emailed her yesterday afternoon. Her response here.

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me about the proposal by Oxford United Football Club to build a new stadium at Stratfield Brake.

Earlier this year, I met with local councillors at Stratfield Brake to discuss the proposals and later sent a survey to local residents. There was a very high response with strong support for both sides on the debate, with a majority of local residents opposed, on balance, but strong support for the plans from Oxford United fans across the county.

Key concerns about the plans include the threat to the Green Belt, increased traffic, parking problems and the need to protect the woodland. Positives include having a permanent long term home for the club and the potential for investment in much better active travel infrastructure locally.

I have encouraged the County Council Cabinet to keep discussions going with both the club and with local parish councils to try to find a solution which is acceptable to everyone.

As this is a decision taken by the County Council, I would urge you to share your views with your local County Councillor. You can find out who they are here: https://www.writetothem.com/

Best wishes,
Layla

Layla Moran
Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament for Oxford West & Abingdon

View attachment 10975
View attachment 10976

View attachment 10977

Ah well my county councillor would have received my email yesterday imploring her to hopefully get the OCC to expedite things .

Layla Moran emailed me back, very surprising since I only emailed her yesterday afternoon. Her response here.

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me about the proposal by Oxford United Football Club to build a new stadium at Stratfield Brake.

Earlier this year, I met with local councillors at Stratfield Brake to discuss the proposals and later sent a survey to local residents. There was a very high response with strong support for both sides on the debate, with a majority of local residents opposed, on balance, but strong support for the plans from Oxford United fans across the county.

Key concerns about the plans include the threat to the Green Belt, increased traffic, parking problems and the need to protect the woodland. Positives include having a permanent long term home for the club and the potential for investment in much better active travel infrastructure locally.

I have encouraged the County Council Cabinet to keep discussions going with both the club and with local parish councils to try to find a solution which is acceptable to everyone.

As this is a decision taken by the County Council, I would urge you to share your views with your local County Councillor. You can find out who they are here: https://www.writetothem.com/

Best wishes,
Layla

Layla Moran
Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament for Oxford West & Abingdon
God that woman. She isn’t siding without siding I think more in the negative side of us gaining a stadium at SB

God that woman. She isn’t siding without siding I think more in the negative side of us gaining a stadium at SB

I wasn't expecting anything more to be honest. Look what they have done with Abingdon since they've been in control. We are now a suburb of Didcot living in their shadow.

Typical politician doesn’t want to offend anyone at this stage, but will see where she is likely to lose/gain votes in what is a marginal seat.
When there is strong sway one way or the other then she will choose the side where she can garner most votes

I wasn't expecting anything more to be honest. Look what they have done with Abingdon since they've been in control. We are now a suburb of Didcot living in their shadow.
Didcot isn’t Layla Moran constituency she has nothing to do with the council

Didcot isn’t Layla Moran constituency she has nothing to do with the council
No it’s not but they spent a fortune doing up Bury street and what a waste of money, they shut all the upper levels of the Charter multi storey car park for repairs over 2 years ago but no one has been into repair it. They’ve closed the public toilets in the charter car park nearest being the abbey meadows which if you’re elderly or disabled is ridiculous. Now Didcot had that gloomy look about the town but they used common sense and came up with the orchard centre which has transformed the town.
Compare the two, Abingdon is the very poor comparison.
Layla may not be their MP but she should have a chat with her local council to see how things could be improved.
She is quick to jump on things that will give her some air time or free press but rather than her saying after her visit to business in her constituency and reports that 100’s have left because of Brexit she should concentrate on the state of it and see if their is something that could be done to bring about some positivity in the Vale.
But back to @OX14 response at least he got one but she isn’t giving her support, and with her stance in the 4,400 houses in Yarnton, Begbroke and Kidlington which she is against, sadly we won’t get any support from her.

Last edited:
Read it again. I meant Didcot is thriving and Abingdon under the Lib Dem's is in its shadow.

The only thing Didcot has that Abingdon doesn't is an Aldi, but the one in Abingdon opens in a few weeks and then the advantage swings back to Abingdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom