General Oxford Fanatics Reappearance - Missing Money

Personally I need more info about where the "missing" money was all this time. Who had it, who recovered it and where is it now? How many people were involved and how many of them are involved now?

Also not sure about single use throwaways like streamers or commercial confetti or balloons. I prefer the big waving or static flags.

We need a display like this every game.

1000005089.jpg

In the build up to Saturday, £336.70 was donated. £228.99 was spent on the display. £107.71 remains.

Some of the lads involved paid around £125 of their own money towards it, which is separate from the money donated above.

Total cost of Saturdays display, around £350.
Not to mention the “ unpaid” time given by the group members .

There were also 6 or 7 big wavers as part of it.

We have researched other groups and have exchanged emails, spoken to the fans at our club, including the leader of our Ultras group, and would like to take all of that and do something that brings colour, but also embraces the unique atmosphere that English fans bring and do it in an Oxford United way.

Saturday was a last minute effort to try and inspire the team and help boost the atmosphere. There will be much more to come.
I think the ultras gave you an excellent blueprint. Replicate that and they’ll be loved and funded

Time to move on.

We need a display like this every game.

View attachment 18912
A display like that runs into the thousands, I’d say a new big surfer for next season would be a good start for fundraising that represents our club. Something that points to our past, while also including a nod the the future (hopefully) IF we make the playoffs, I do feel we also could do with having some kind of surfer mentioning our plight with regards to the stadium situation. All costs money, but everyone deserves a chance to show what they can do & deserve a second chance and the openness showed by @John Lennon to get to the bottom of this all is encouraging. Small steps will see us get there.

I completely understand the confusion and lack of trust.

Id like to try and address a few things to hopefully help us all move on.

The Oxford Fanatics were created to fill the gap by the Oxford Ultras ending a few years of incredible influence on the atmosphere and colour they brought. The name came about during early discussions as a way of the group connecting with the fanbase as we are all Oxford fanatics in our own way. I brought some fans together and I helped them build things initially and I made sure everything was done right.

For mental health reasons and to be more present with my children, I stepped back and left it to others to take the group forward. The Arsenal display was their first without my guidance. I took a complete break from football related stuff, until OUSP mentioned earlier this season that some issues and questions had arisen regarded financial contributions from fans.

I looked into what had gone on, what was or wasn't true, and made sure that 'Fanatics' finances came back under my control again so I could get a grip on things. At one point, as I was angry and upset, I decided the 'Fanatics' should be replaced by a brand new group to help us start again and move forward. But after giving it a lot of thought, I felt that the hard work to create a group and the reasons for the name 'Fanatics', I would rebuild the Oxford Fanatics were created to be a group that belongs to Oxford fans, and they are who matter the most. I brought a new group of lads together and made sure strict rules were understood and needed to be followed. I want to make it clear no money ever went missing. Certain things didn't happen as they should have and a lack of communication only added to the suspicion and uncertainty around it all.

It has been an exhausting few months, and I admit I haven't got everything right. But my whole intention, and I use I instead of we so I take full responsibility for what went on before, and what happens in the future, to allow a passionate group of fans thrive as we try and build a stronger connection with the team, our club and fanbase. A 'United Oxford' is something I've been working on right across our fanbase and football club, and openly playing out some of the negatives that have happened, I felt wasn't the right thing to do as we look at building positivity, belief, unity and atmosphere. It's been toxic at times this season, but we have turned that around.

As for some of the new group putting their own money in for Saturday to make up for previous mistakes associated with the 'Fanatics' that had nothing to do with them, this was to try and show their commitment to a new era and make an effort to try and show they care about doing things right.

Previously donated money that is unspent will be put towards new flags and banners in the summer, and the first game of next season to start the season with a bang and to show this group will not only make up for what went before, but will do things bigger and better than was originally planned.

A busy few weeks ahead (hopefully) when a United Oxford will be vital to help us be successful. Once the season is over, we will work with OUSP so everything is in order and they can be satisfied that every penny donated in the past and present is accounted for and has been spent correctly.

Hopefully that clears some things up. I have a lot going on and planning for every eventuality. But please message me with any questions and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

COYY
UTO

Kudos to @John Lennon for being transparent and, above all, honest.
Get back to the Ultras ethos/energy,keep things clear and accountable and more folk will get on board for a better matchday for all.

I echo this. I know there is an important outstanding question around where previous donations have gone, but I trust @John Lennon to follow up on this when he can. John - you've made a great start to improve the communication with what you've said on here already, and the pre-match stuff vs Peterborough is definitely a big step in the right direction.

Thank you for all your efforts so far.

In the build up to Saturday, £336.70 was donated. £228.99 was spent on the display. £107.71 remains.

Some of the lads involved paid around £125 of their own money towards it, which is separate from the money donated above.

Total cost of Saturdays display, around £350.

Hi @John Lennon , thanks for your detailed replies here. There has clearly been a lot of concern, and I appreciate your efforts to clarify and alleviate these.

Presumably it is too late to prepare for tonight's fixture, but (particularly as it will be televised), will there be any possibility of putting that remaining £107.71 towards something for Friday night's game vs Stevenage? Of course, I appreciate we are pressed for time, but I am willing to contribute some more, and suspect a fair few others may be too, having seen Saturday's efforts.

Edit: I appreciate you said you're staying on in an "advisory role", so not sure to what degree you'd be able to influence this, but just a thought.

I wasn't there tonight but it sounded like a decent atmosphere? Happy to contribute to Friday night, if that's happening.

I'll be there having a nervous breakdown so won't be much good. At least the place will look nice as I'm carted off covered in yellow confetti with a balloon stuck up my a**e.

Quick update. A busy few days.

The Oxford Fanatics are no more. In the summer I will work with OUSP to communicate everything relating to previous fan donations.

There will be a display on Friday night, organised and put together through the Yellow Army. It will hopefully be a bigger version of what we saw on Saturday.

We need your help. Time is against us, but there are a team of fans working hard as we speak to make things happen.

To contribute and help us buy everything today ⬇️

PayPal - send to fans@yellowarmyoufc.co.uk
Choose friends and family so 100% of your contribution comes through.

I'll set up a new thread specifically for Stevenage with the message above.

Let's make this happen.

COYY

Part of the issue here is there seems to be a number of Oxford 'fan groups', but does anyone actually know who these people are?

Who runs the 'Yellow Army'? When you send funds to them, who's in charge of it? Who even are the members of the 'Fanatics'?

It's all good and well having these groups, but they're completely faceless. With the old Ultras you may not have known them personally or by name, but you knew who and where they were just by seeing them - they had a physical and recognisable presence as a group. This made it easy for the rest of the fanbase to engage and get behind them.

I don't mean this in a nasty way at all, but from what I can tell the 'Fanatics' seem to largely be groups of teenagers that have their own little groups under the banner of the 'Fanatics' - it's not one recognisable group. It all seems a bit messy. I couldn't tell you on a game by game basis if the 'Fanatics' were even there or not.

What's needed is one central group, with an identifiable leadership and membership structure.

Part of the issue here is there seems to be a number of Oxford 'fan groups', but does anyone actually know who these people are?

Who runs the 'Yellow Army'? When you send funds to them, who's in charge of it? Who even are the members of the 'Fanatics'?

It's all good and well having these groups, but they're completely faceless. With the old Ultras you may not have known them personally or by name, but you knew who and where they were just by seeing them - they had a physical and recognisable presence as a group. This made it easy for the rest of the fanbase to engage and get behind them.

I don't mean this in a nasty way at all, but from what I can tell the 'Fanatics' seem to largely be groups of teenagers that have their own little groups under the banner of the 'Fanatics' - it's not one recognisable group. It all seems a bit messy. I couldn't tell you on a game by game basis if the 'Fanatics' were even there or not.

What's needed is one central group, with an identifiable leadership and membership structure.

Which is what seems to be happening with the Yellow Army have discussions over the summer with OUSP to establish a workable group to take things forward.

This is about doing something for Friday, the most important home game in years. Everything else can be pulled apart during the summer. Questions still remain about the loss of previous donations and accountability and transparency going forward. I would also want to see greater responsibility on what donations are spent on and whether these represent good value or not. However we have less than 60 hours until kickoff so we need to focus on that first.

Quick update. A busy few days.

The Oxford Fanatics are no more. In the summer I will work with OUSP to communicate everything relating to previous fan donations.

There will be a display on Friday night, organised and put together through the Yellow Army. It will hopefully be a bigger version of what we saw on Saturday.

We need your help. Time is against us, but there are a team of fans working hard as we speak to make things happen.

To contribute and help us buy everything today ⬇️

PayPal - send to fans@yellowarmyoufc.co.uk
Choose friends and family so 100% of your contribution comes through.

I'll set up a new thread specifically for Stevenage with the message above.

Let's make this happen.

COYY
Well done John!

Which is what seems to be happening with the Yellow Army have discussions over the summer with OUSP to establish a workable group to take things forward.

This is about doing something for Friday, the most important home game in years. Everything else can be pulled apart during the summer. Questions still remain about the loss of previous donations and accountability and transparency going forward. I would also want to see greater responsibility on what donations are spent on and whether these represent good value or not. However we have less than 60 hours until kickoff so we need to focus on that first.
But who actually are the Yellow Army? The OUSP have a face but how involved are they in things like displays etc, if at all?

I understand there's things going on in the background, but most fans aren't privy to this. They don't know who these people are or what they do. The beauty of the old ultras is even as a casual fan that just attended games and went home, you knew who they were.

On the topic of Fridays display, I find it odd there's no 'target' for funding. If more is donated than what's required, what happens to the money? Does it just sit there till next season and then used? I'm more than happy to be wrong but wasn't the aim for the last display £1,000? Seems unlikely it cost anywhere close to that, so what happened to the remainder of those funds?

I fear regardless of what happens this season that we go into the next with another flimsy and faceless 'fan group'.

But who actually are the Yellow Army? The OUSP have a face but how involved are they in things like displays etc, if at all?

I understand there's things going on in the background, but most fans aren't privy to this. They don't know who these people are or what they do. The beauty of the old ultras is even as a casual fan that just attended games and went home, you knew who they were.

On the topic of Fridays display, I find it odd there's no 'target' for funding. If more is donated than what's required, what happens to the money? Does it just sit there till next season and then used? I'm more than happy to be wrong but wasn't the aim for the last display £1,000? Seems unlikely it cost anywhere close to that, so what happened to the remainder of those funds?

I fear regardless of what happens this season that we go into the next with another flimsy and faceless 'fan group'.

How did a casual fan know who the ultras were? I'm not knocking them, but fans groups are generally a collection of well intended fans working under one banner. You may know one or two individuals, or you may see a group together who describe themselves as the ultras or fanatics or whatever, but I don't see how one group is necessarily different from another.

The key difference for me is in regard to funding and the transparency in what is raised and spent. That will need to be in place for any future group, and I'm sure that working through the summer alongside OUSP will help get this structure in place.

@John Lennon was clear with what was raised and spent at the last game, and I have faith in him doing the same for this.

For mental health reasons and to be more present with my children, I stepped back and left it to others to take the group forward
. The Arsenal display was their first without my guidance. I took a complete break from football related stuff, until OUSP mentioned earlier this season that some issues and questions had arisen regarded financial contributions from fans.
Thanks for the detailed explanation John. Hope your mental health is back in a good place. Always sensible to take time out when you need it (and I know it's not always as simple as that but it is a start).

The Yellow Army is led by me. Oxford United, OxVox, OUSP, local media and fans know me.

I am solely responsible for anything financial, and would be held to account by our football club and fans groups if I did anything wrong.

I am not the only fan involved in the Yellow Army setup. I only work with fans I trust, and who share the passion that puts our football club and fanbase first.

The Yellow Army was created in 2013 to help bring our fans together as a central point for fan activity and communication, and to build a stronger connection with our football club. We helped create relationships and Initiatives to help us achieve that, which culminated in promotion in 2016.

Things changed the following season and I was unable to use my influence to continue what we had started. As fans, we were limited in what we could do sadly. We have tried to get things going again on many occasions since, but there hasn't been the right connection with key people.

When the situation started turning toxic earlier in the season, I reached out to Grant Ferguson and suggested what I thought could be done to help reconnect the fanbase with the club, and to build a sense of togetherness that had been missing for too long. To his credit, he has got fully behind what we want to achieve, despite not being here as much as he'd like.

Since then, many hours of emails and conversations with club staff, fans and local media, to try and build some support to bring back some positivity. Those in the know will understand it took far longer than it needed to, but we bypassed the obstacles and kept going. I questioned whether it would make enough of a difference, but on Saturday everything came together. The credit for that isn't just down to me, far from it. Some people from within the club and fanbase deserve huge credit for continuing to listen and buy into things we suggested, and through the YA social media platform, our fans have taken notice and have been more positive in recent weeks, especially when the team needed it.

I am 100% committed to being transparent and any fan group that comes through in the future, like an Ultras style group, fundraising group etc, it will come through the YA so there is a clear understanding and trust around who is involved and what their role is.

Soe of the concerns mentioned I absolutely agree with. We need to be united, and that is built through trust and transparency.

Id be happy to speak to anyone via messages or in person. All I want to do is bring our club and fanbase together to help us reach our potential. I'm open to Ideas, feedback, criticism, so I can help build something that enables our fanbase and football club to thrive. It's not just about me, but I want to take responsibility so this can be something that everyone can feel like they can get behind.

On a personal note, I may not be here if it wasn't for Oxford United and our fans. This football club is a huge force for good, and I just want to play a small part in helping something that means so much to so many people.

On a personal note, I may not be here if it wasn't for Oxford United and our fans. This football club is a huge force for good, and I just want to play a small part in helping something that means so much to so many people.
Very well said

Back
Top Bottom