General Oxford Fanatics Reappearance - Missing Money

A display like that runs into the thousands, I’d say a new big surfer for next season would be a good start for fundraising that represents our club. Something that points to our past, while also including a nod the the future (hopefully) IF we make the playoffs, I do feel we also could do with having some kind of surfer mentioning our plight with regards to the stadium situation. All costs money, but everyone deserves a chance to show what they can do & deserve a second chance and the openness showed by @John Lennon to get to the bottom of this all is encouraging. Small steps will see us get there.

A surfer that costs a fortune and we see once, maybe twice? And only for a few minutes at a time.

I like the "Stand United" label that applies to the current stadium project but can also bring us together as a fanbase or improve links between the fans and the club.

If were going to spend money on a surfer then I'd suggest that we went down that route rather than something one-off.

How did a casual fan know who the ultras were? I'm not knocking them, but fans groups are generally a collection of well intended fans working under one banner. You may know one or two individuals, or you may see a group together who describe themselves as the ultras or fanatics or whatever, but I don't see how one group is necessarily different from another.

The key difference for me is in regard to funding and the transparency in what is raised and spent. That will need to be in place for any future group, and I'm sure that working through the summer alongside OUSP will help get this structure in place.

@John Lennon was clear with what was raised and spent at the last game, and I have faith in him doing the same for this.
We all knew what the ultras were, where they stood, and I'd expect a comparatively large portion of our match-going fanbase could point out at least some members. They were at every game home and away and I think most who went to most games before they disbanded (especially away games) would've been able to point out what 'group' they were in the stands. Other than John on here, who are the members of the Fanatics? Could you point a single one of them out in the stands at games? Unless you know them on a personal level, you probably couldn't.

I've been in the East Stand during the old ultras and now the Fanatics. Under the ultras, the people around me were a constant. It was the same people every week - even if you didn't know them personally, you looked around you and immediately recognised everyone there.

Now I don't. There are regulars (although not as many), but beyond that it's new faces all the time. Some come back, some don't, some pop up every so often when things start getting interesting. Most are teenagers too, specifically groups of lads who often don't come back for a while. While I understand we always want new fans, having a new teenager trying to take your season ticket seat that you've paid for for years every week makes you feel less connected to the fanbase as a whole, and frankly gets a bit tiring. I personally know people who this has become quite a big problem for.

I think the point I'm trying to make is the way the ultras worked made people engage. They weren't a group that was in your face, or rude or obnoxious in the stands, but they were identifiable and had almost a 'brand'. That built a community, particularly in the East Stand, where people felt comfortable to engage and join in.

Any new fan group needs to create that same feeling, and needs to be set up and function in a way which makes other fans actively want to engage with what they're trying to do.

We all knew what the ultras were, where they stood, and I'd expect a comparatively large portion of our match-going fanbase could point out at least some members. They were at every game home and away and I think most who went to most games before they disbanded (especially away games) would've been able to point out what 'group' they were in the stands. Other than John on here, who are the members of the Fanatics? Could you point a single one of them out in the stands at games? Unless you know them on a personal level, you probably couldn't.

I've been in the East Stand during the old ultras and now the Fanatics. Under the ultras, the people around me were a constant. It was the same people every week - even if you didn't know them personally, you looked around you and immediately recognised everyone there.

Now I don't. There are regulars (although not as many), but beyond that it's new faces all the time. Some come back, some don't, some pop up every so often when things start getting interesting. Most are teenagers too, specifically groups of lads who often don't come back for a while. While I understand we always want new fans, having a new teenager trying to take your season ticket seat that you've paid for for years every week makes you feel less connected to the fanbase as a whole, and frankly gets a bit tiring. I personally know people who this has become quite a big problem for.

I think the point I'm trying to make is the way the ultras worked made people engage. They weren't a group that was in your face, or rude or obnoxious in the stands, but they were identifiable and had almost a 'brand'. That built a community, particularly in the East Stand, where people felt comfortable to engage and join in.

Any new fan group needs to create that same feeling, and needs to be set up and function in a way which makes other fans actively want to engage with what they're trying to do.

How about giving people a chance? Ultras or any other group doesn't just happen overnight. It takes months, even years for groups to get really established to the point where members can come and go but the group remains constant.

We have one individual who is looking at bringing over liked minded fans together to try to create something. It doesn't have to be perfect, certainly not straight away. But if we give them a chance we might just find something better than a few misguided teenagers and disgruntled season ticket holders.

Like others on here, I made donations to the "Fanatics" to facilitate displays. Like others I am annoyed and dismayed that those funds, given in good faith, were not put to the purpose for which they were donated. So, I was suspicious and somewhat reticent about making more donations to the re-emergence of the group, albeit now under the Yellow Army banner. I made that point to them and sourced my own streamers for the Peterborough game.
I am now aware that @John Lennon is running the show and this does give me more confidence. I know Joe (his real name) and have worked with him previously at the start of the OUSP - at that time both of us served on the panel, both of us now do not.
For those, like @MustardYellow and others who are still doubtful, I will say this: I can happily vouch for Joe as being a true supporter and someone who does care, a great deal. Granted, he has had events in his past that, shall we say, might be less than expected of a pillar of society but, how many of us are not totally innocent? He had issues that caused him some personal problems and, wisely, withdrew to look after his family. Much like many of us have experienced, as adulthood arrives with responsibilities, it's more likely that our "participation" in the usual footy antics is less enthusiastically met.
That said, here he is fronting up the Yellow Army and eager to make the match day experience something special. Well done. And, if he can galvanise others to help and bring back those displays and crowd activities then he should get our backing. The OUSP are happy to back him, the club are happy and what we have seen so, far appears to be working.

As to "knowing" who the Ultras were, I have no idea. It would be wrong to suggest that we all knew them. I don't know who the Fanatics are, or were, either. I can empathise with those who find a bunch of people taking up their allocated ticket seat space an irritation. It is a problem that won't really be resolved until we have safe/rail standing and designated home fan areas as part of our new stadium. Hopefully, the new gathering will be guided by those with experience and assisted with the right way to make friends. (is that a diplomatic enough stance to take?)

After all that went wrong for the Ultras, all the obstacles put in their way, all the disillusionment that they must have felt surely, anything which brings back an atmosphere at games must be encouraged.

How about giving people a chance? Ultras or any other group doesn't just happen overnight. It takes months, even years for groups to get really established to the point where members can come and go but the group remains constant.

We have one individual who is looking at bringing over liked minded fans together to try to create something. It doesn't have to be perfect, certainly not straight away. But if we give them a chance we might just find something better than a few misguided teenagers and disgruntled season ticket holders.
With the greatest of respect, weren't the Fanatics founded around 2 years ago? I'm not expecting it to happen 'overnight', but I don't think 2 years falls into that category!

We need something better, and I do believe it can happen, but the current structure (or lack of) of the Fanatics does not work for the reasons I've outlined in previous posts. A few groups of teenagers occasionally turning up in the East Stand and not doing much but inconveniencing long term season ticket holders doesn't lead to much positive.

I'm not trying to sh** on John here, btw. I completely understand and appreciate what he's trying to do. I just think there needs to be a more rigid set-up and structure. Hopefully the club themselves will support a new fan group like the ultras.

With the greatest of respect, weren't the Fanatics founded around 2 years ago? I'm not expecting it to happen 'overnight', but I don't think 2 years falls into that category!

We need something better, and I do believe it can happen, but the current structure (or lack of) of the Fanatics does not work for the reasons I've outlined in previous posts. A few groups of teenagers occasionally turning up in the East Stand and not doing much but inconveniencing long term season ticket holders doesn't lead to much positive.

I'm not trying to sh** on John here, btw. I completely understand and appreciate what he's trying to do. I just think there needs to be a more rigid set-up and structure. Hopefully the club themselves will support a new fan group like the ultras.

That was exactly the initial comments when the 'Giallo Esercito' group emerged in 2009. They worked hard, starting with small scale displays, laying the foundations and attracting 'members'. Renamed themselves as 'Oxford Ultras' to be more appealing to more people and over time the trust in them to deliver top notch displays.
It meant that as the original founders became older, went off to Uni, got jobs etc. there was an interest from others to take it on. And the respect was there from the wider fanbase, there was an understanding and that is what is important to allow to grow here.

When the Ultras disbanded at the end of the 18/19 season, we as a fanbase had almost become too reliant and expectant, there was no-one to step in and take the lead on continuing something similar. Then add in Covid, and there's a whole missing generation of OUFC fans. It feels like we're missing numbers in the 21-25 age bracket and it's something that is seen across the country actually.

I'm all for a group of younger lads who look for donations but also want to spend their own money and time in creating everything from small displays to massive full stand ones. I really don't think people realise how much time these things take.

Lets give them time to prove themselves and with Joe involved to keep them grounded and point them in the right direction - I have every faith they'll come good and we'll get back to the days like in the video below.

theres a call gone out on social media platforms for funding a 'better than satarday' pre match display Friday night- if you feel inclined donate via Paypal via f&f to fans@yellowarmyoufc.co.uk

Ive made a small donation towards it

@John Lennon - maybe a call for funding on here, YF , might help swell the coffers ?

theres a call gone out on social media platforms for funding a 'better than satarday' pre match display Friday night- if you feel inclined donate via Paypal via f&f to fans@yellowarmyoufc.co.uk

Ive made a small donation towards it

@John Lennon - maybe a call for funding on here, YF , might help swell the coffers ?
There is already a thread set up by @John Lennon doing exactly this...

There is already a thread set up by @John Lennon doing exactly this...

missed that - oops

Part of the issue here is there seems to be a number of Oxford 'fan groups', but does anyone actually know who these people are?

What's needed is one central group, with an identifiable leadership and membership structure.

Which is what seems to be happening with the Yellow Army have discussions over the summer with OUSP to establish a workable group to take things forward.

I`m detecting a theme of small,unelected groups "doing stuff" that could be done under the umbrella of the one independent, fan led, accountable & democratic organisation that already exists...... and has done for a long time.

Too simple?

1. The structure and accountability already exists so it wouldn`t need (another) working group.

2. Reduces duplication, improves accountability and are people we know.

3. Frees up the volunteers valuable time.

I get that Joe has taken on the reins via Yellow Army.
I know he's a life long fan and wants the best for the fan experience and wants things properly dealt with.

Don't know why Fanatics were suddenly disbanded (today?).

I've contributed several times to the Giallo Esercito /Ultras before they called it a day due to life happening. I didn't ask for receipts and expenses as generally i knew them from the away games and they were youths/ adults doing it out of love for the club, in their own time, and i believe just needing money for raw materials.

What I can't understand is the missing money for the start of the season or whenever it was. we are told the current donations are all accounted for , fair enough.

But somewhere someone or some people were responsible for the previous donations and it was sent to an anonymous account which nobody has admitting to owning. Asking ten or 20 kids to all pony up for the "treasurer" or whoever "lost" the money is unfair on them as a loose collective with no defined members.

Thank you for all the incredible contributions. I've barely slept, but thanks to the support shown from fans and the time given up by some really good people, Friday night will go ahead.

Mark, I appreciate your words. I will never forget the time (if you are the MarkG I think you are) I was unable to afford a season ticket for the season we were in the same league as Swindon for the for the first time in ages, and you came up to me and gave me the money for a season ticket because you knew how much it meant to me. That will always be the most special moment to me following Oxford United.

As for the Fanatics 'disbanding', I have taken advice from people I trust and made the decision that the 'Fanatics' name has been tarnished beyond repair. I can use the 'Yellow Army' for the rest of the season to bring fans together regarding atmosphere, and the summer will see a fresh look at a new group having their own identity and structure. (This has taken its toll on me and the pressure it's put on me and taken the focus away from what should be a time we are all united, it's been incredibly frustrating and draining. I would like to deal with it now, but what matters most is our football club and fanbase pulling together and doing everything we can to help the team. Rest assured, the answers will come)

A surfer that costs a fortune and we see once, maybe twice? And only for a few minutes at a time.
I think that’s a very good point. A “surfer” which apparently costs a lot of time, money and effort to produce doesn’t seem to me to be worthwhile (in the absence of better possible alternatives)
I’ve always been impressed with Burton, for example; a small club without large crowds, but how impressive is the number of yellow flags all around the ground, particularly at the back of stands, with different slogans etc - brightens the place up and gives the ground a real “this is us” vibe.
Colour is important. In the absence of yellow seats, for instance, there is a clear need for more of it around the ground.
I was disappointed in the final result of the display at the back of the East Stand when it was eventually produced. Lovely pictures, good memories, but doesn’t add to the positive feeling of noise/colour/enthusiasm/support that needs to be apparent. Looking at it from the away supporters end, it’s really a bit Meh. A real opportunity missed.
Well done to JL for resurrecting the positive vibe.
More flags please!

I think that’s a very good point. A “surfer” which apparently costs a lot of time, money and effort to produce doesn’t seem to me to be worthwhile (in the absence of better possible alternatives)
I’ve always been impressed with Burton, for example; a small club without large crowds, but how impressive is the number of yellow flags all around the ground, particularly at the back of stands, with different slogans etc - brightens the place up and gives the ground a real “this is us” vibe.
Colour is important. In the absence of yellow seats, for instance, there is a clear need for more of it around the ground.
I was disappointed in the final result of the display at the back of the East Stand when it was eventually produced. Lovely pictures, good memories, but doesn’t add to the positive feeling of noise/colour/enthusiasm/support that needs to be apparent. Looking at it from the away supporters end, it’s really a bit Meh. A real opportunity missed.
Well done to JL for resurrecting the positive vibe.
More flags please!

Absolutely agree.

We need colour, vibrancy, noise and slogans that stick around.

I know a few have been critical but we also need that immediate impact we get (and the players see) from lots of colourful displays, confetti, streamers, balloons etc. I really liked what was provided on Saturday at short notice 👏👏 It gives me an added buzz at the start.

Anything that could also create some sort of background noise (in addition to fans of course) … maybe not vuvuzela’s though 😂 would be great.

Congrats and thank you to @John Lennon and Co for giving up their valuable time to reignite this aspect of our match day experience.

Thank you for all the incredible contributions. I've barely slept, but thanks to the support shown from fans and the time given up by some really good people, Friday night will go ahead.

Mark, I appreciate your words. I will never forget the time (if you are the MarkG I think you are) I was unable to afford a season ticket for the season we were in the same league as Swindon for the for the first time in ages, and you came up to me and gave me the money for a season ticket because you knew how much it meant to me. That will always be the most special moment to me following Oxford United.

As for the Fanatics 'disbanding', I have taken advice from people I trust and made the decision that the 'Fanatics' name has been tarnished beyond repair. I can use the 'Yellow Army' for the rest of the season to bring fans together regarding atmosphere, and the summer will see a fresh look at a new group having their own identity and structure. (This has taken its toll on me and the pressure it's put on me and taken the focus away from what should be a time we are all united, it's been incredibly frustrating and draining. I would like to deal with it now, but what matters most is our football club and fanbase pulling together and doing everything we can to help the team. Rest assured, the answers will come)
Great work John and a lovely memory. OUFC fans are a good bunch who care a lot.

As well as doing what you are doing make sure you keep talking about how you are feeling and go easy on yourself sometimes. Take care.

@John Lennon - seems like I’m one of the few Oxford supporters who don’t know you, but from everything I’ve read on here it seems we are lucky to have you supporting the same club. I’ve absolutely loved the improvement in the atmosphere for the past couple of games, but please never prioritise it over your own health and well-being. The institution of OUFC wouldn’t be worth your commitment if it asked that of you.

Many hands make light work and I’m sure some of us would be happy to help with the time commitment side as well as the financial - hopefully that wouldn’t leave you feeling you need to vouch for anyone you don’t know but might ease the burden.

Back
Top Bottom