Away Match Day Thread +++ Peterborough Utd v OUFC - match day thread +++

Yeah, let’s pick out long for a bit of abuse about a s**t pass, but don’t mention Cam Brans’ or Eastys straight to Toney.
Browne’s obsession of beating every player on the pitch while your at it, but only if you want!
FFS, collectively, they all were not at their best.
Draw a f*****g line under it and let’s move on.

You do not need to be a glory hunter to have hope and dreams for your team.

i would be interested to hear from anyone who has an idea why Tiger and the crew got involved in little Oxford if the finances are not there to support promotion because the Debt has been there for years and unless i missed it there was no mention of a 5 year plan to achieve a sustainable club "before" entering thoughts of a promotion push..Football does not work like that, opportunities for promotion need to be grasped and to gamble with those opportunities is folly.
There are only so many times you can take the loyalty of the fanbase for granted and at the same time you're doing yourself no favors with the casual fans and will never attract the much needed new support

This is not the 10 or so clubs in the premier league whose sole aim is to just stay there because the league is awash with money and whose fans will be fine because they can look forward to visits from the likes of Man City Man United Liverpool each season.
The only thing a lower league fan has to cling on to are the hopes and dreams that one-day just one-day they might just make it to a higher level, take that away and there's nothing left.People can make throw away statements about being happy to plod along in this league but the novelty of Buton Fleetwood etc every week will soon wear off.

Ain’t been on for a while @Mellowyellow, the difference is if we’re s**t I will say so obviously o won’t use that term and I will say we’re god/great when we are, but above all I will be truthful. There are many who phone or even post on here when we’ve won let’s say 1-0 and even been absolutely awful but there will be those who will say that to was a Stella performance, thats the difference, oh and I didn’t call today as “ I wasn’t there Jerome “

Sorry, don't really understand your reply, in relation to what the difference is. If you heard the call, it criticised the team, as most others have, as well as saying we've got it all to play for, and we can still make the play offs. Which listening to your calls on Saturdays is I believe you would have said, if you had called in.

I agree normally with everything you post, saying it as you see it, and was a little confused/surprised by your original comment to be honest.

Sorry, don't really understand your reply, in relation to what the difference is. If you heard the call, it criticised the team, as most others have, as well as saying we've got it all to play for, and we can still make the play offs. Which listening to your calls on Saturdays is I believe you would have said, if you had called in.

I agree normally with everything you post, saying it as you see it, and was a little confused/surprised by your original comment to be honest.
Paul tries to dissect everything and says it in such a way as if he is the only one who knows what’s wrong. He also names and layers in his calls and says where they’ve gone wrong and it won’t do players any good if they’re singled out and I’m sure those players will hear about it. And regarding Paul his tones and wanting to get it out there is a must retry mundane but I will say my piece when I chose to go on Radox will praise and will crIticise but won’t single out a player for criticism but will single out for praise.

Don’t want to come across all rose tinted but a lot of this thread is a load of ill founded negative B*****s.

This team will come again.

Well beaten yesterday by a useful team who took advantage of our definite Tuesday night tiredness.

Have to say that the OUFC contingent actually at Peterborough kept supporting all game though and there was very little moaning.

It's not just yesterday that has got to people. The six league games this year have resulted in won one, drawn two, and lost three. That is relegation form no matter how you look at it.

It's not just yesterday that has got to people. The six league games this year have resulted in won one, drawn two, and lost three. That is relegation form no matter how you look at it.
That’s life. Can’t win them all. We’re probably already safe from relegation

Can I remind you all that we as a club that since changing its name to Oxford United in 1960 has only had 6 promotions in all that time, 60 years of 6 promotions, I make that an average of 1 promotion per decade...
Yes we have started a new decade so that gives us hope for the next 10 years but again have we developed as a club and has the number of supporters in the last 60 years increased to make it easier to push in...
You have to say no, not really...
Our average attendance has only topped 9000 9 times since 1963 and 5 of the 9 years was in the 1970’s so unless we buy our way into the top two divisions like Reading, Bournemouth, Wigan and to a degree Blackburn did we need to own our own ground or potentially move to a bigger one to increase attendances which increase revenue which gives companies more of a reason to invest, which then can be spent on new better players, which the has a better chance of promotion which then brings in more TV coverage which brings in more TV money and more companies will want to advertise which brings in more money to strengthen again....
We are a relatively small to medium football club with dreams not necessarily ambitions, we have a tight group of fans who on the whole love what we are, what we do, where we have been and hope that we can go on further, reality is that the latter is probably where we are now, a club chasing the limelight and not being in it.....
LOVE FOOTBALL - LOVE OUFC......

Paul tries to dissect everything and says it in such a way as if he is the only one who knows what’s wrong. He also names and layers in his calls and says where they’ve gone wrong and it won’t do players any good if they’re singled out and I’m sure those players will hear about it. And regarding Paul his tones and wanting to get it out there is a must retry mundane but I will say my piece when I chose to go on Radox will praise and will crIticise but won’t single out a player for criticism but will single out for praise.

What's wrong in saying a player hasn't played well though, as KR did in his interview, as did emailers and texters. Are callers not allowed to?
As much praise for individuals is given when due, as criticism.
No player is immune from criticism. How are people mean to know who you are referring to though when you give your opinion?
Jerome seemed to agree with what was said in the call, and the call was similar to what KR said in his interview, so it couldn't have been that short of the mark.

What's wrong in saying a player hasn't played well though, as KR did in his interview, as did emailers and texters. Are callers not allowed to?
As much praise for individuals is given when due, as criticism.
No player is immune from criticism. How are people mean to know who you are referring to though when you give your opinion?
Jerome seemed to agree with what was said in the call, and the call was similar to what KR said in his interview, so it couldn't have been that short of the mark.

i would say constructive criticism is fine but it does feel sometimes that once fans decide to not like a player (for whatever reason) that person can never be recognized as having done ok or better.
a few from history off the top of my head...Matt Murphy Billy Jefferies David Smith Jemson and Moody 2nd time were often slaughtered Alex Mcdonald Matt Bound

But no business attracts investment by standing still. No club attracts sponsors and advertisers by standing still.
And no club attracts new fans or makes existing fans regular attenders, or attracts good players by standing still.
There has to be ambition and there has to be hope.
Very true, but there also has to be somebody sensible balancing the chequebooks to make sure the club still exists!

Burton struggled in the Championship, they narrowly avoided relegation in their first season, and spent pretty much the entire 2nd season in the relegation zone, before being relegated at the end of that season, the Championship chewed them up and spat them out, and it looks like it's gonna do the same to Luton.

It was just a theory, and I'm not saying I agree with it, certainly not from a footballing point of view, but I certainly can understand the reasoning behind it (if it were true) from a business point of view, although from a football point of view, and a fans point of view, it's horrible to think that we wouldn't be doing everything we can to get promoted ASAP, but Bury and Bolton got themselves in a right mess, throwing money they didn't have at trying to achieve success, when a slower, more steady and measured approach would've served up better results long term, and IF our board have decided to adopt a more sensible, cautious approach, as long as we get there in the end, I'm prepared to be patient, if it means that when we get there, we're in a much better position to stay there.

And this is what so many have been overlooking while they fawn over the excel spreadsheets and praise the profit margins. The footballers who are out there putting themselves through it in pursuit of achieving something have had to deal with essentially being shown that their efforts are potentially unwanted. “We don’t want you to lose too often, but for god’s sake don’t get promoted you maniacs!”

We have brought in over £5m this season - people forget the £2m we got for Whyte as well as the £3m we just got in January. Plus over half a million in cup runs. So that’s around £5.5m in sales and cup revenues, which we’re told is essentially two full years of losses being covered, and we’ve barely put a penny of that back in to restocking the shelves. Why would we do that? Why when the model is working and they’re buying low, selling high, wouldn’t they WANT to keep doing that? If we’re being told to think of the business economics, then let’s focus exclusively on them for a moment. If we sold £5m of talent every season while spending, let’s say £1m on new additions, and then factor in around £3m for losses, then that’s a profit of around £1m per year. Without a single penny in cup runs which could easily whack hundred of thousands more on to that. So why shy away from that, and why keep the value of the players at L1 levels? Gavin Whyte was sold as a mid-table L1 player for £2m. If he were sold as a freshly-promoted Championship player, he would be sold for double. That’s how it works. So why have we tried to hard to avoid that of late?

I have my own theories which the people who accuse others of being bed wetters would wet the bed over, in a delicious slice of irony, but let’s see how the season and next summer play out first.

I still hold out hope that we will go on a run and get into the playoffs, just to spite what the board have done. I’d love nothing more than to be sat at Wembley watching a playoff final and knowing that some of the people in the royal box would be sweating the entire time ?
The board may have decided they aren’t going to fund a concerted promotion push, with its uncertain outcome and risk of financial problems, but that’s not the same as actively not wanting to be promoted. If I’m sure they’d be delighted if we went up; they just wouldn’t buy a load of players to keep us there.

You do not need to be a glory hunter to have hope and dreams for your team.

i would be interested to hear from anyone who has an idea why Tiger and the crew got involved in little Oxford if the finances are not there to support promotion because the Debt has been there for years and unless i missed it there was no mention of a 5 year plan to achieve a sustainable club "before" entering thoughts of a promotion push..Football does not work like that, opportunities for promotion need to be grasped and to gamble with those opportunities is folly.
There are only so many times you can take the loyalty of the fanbase for granted and at the same time you're doing yourself no favors with the casual fans and will never attract the much needed new support

This is not the 10 or so clubs in the premier league whose sole aim is to just stay there because the league is awash with money and whose fans will be fine because they can look forward to visits from the likes of Man City Man United Liverpool each season.
The only thing a lower league fan has to cling on to are the hopes and dreams that one-day just one-day they might just make it to a higher level, take that away and there's nothing left.People can make throw away statements about being happy to plod along in this league but the novelty of Buton Fleetwood etc every week will soon wear off.

Whilst I don't disagree - one look at the current Championship table makes for pretty depressing reading.

Bottom four of Luton-Barnsley-Wigan-Charlton. So all three of last year's promoted sides, plus the Champions from the year before.
Rotherham, of course, came straight back down - so the only League One side to not struggle mightily in the Championship the last two years was Blackburn. And that's because they never stopped behaving like a mid-table Championship side, and have a wage-to-income ratio of 150% and lost 20 million quid in a year.

It's all very well talking about splashing the cash to get promoted into the Championship. But the amount of cash we'd have to splash to have a realistic chance of staying there, more than a couple of years at most, is absurd - and to do that before sorting out the club's infrastructure such that we could accommodate more fans and operate on a more sustainable footing, would be akin to just burning a big stack of cash.

I don't like the way that OUFC approached this past transfer window. But I do understand it.
What concerns me more for the medium term health of the club is the complete lack of any apparent movement on the stadium front.

I suppose the question there is: what is going to change in the near future that will make us MORE able to compete (or survive) in the Championship? Obviously we'd need better players - which would require more money to buy and pay (unless we managed to home-grow them all, which is a stretch). That then means two things - we currently don't generate enough to do that (fairly obviously as we are selling players to balance the books, because we make a loss) and there must be some plan (or at least you'd hope there is!) that will change that situation. I cannot see how a steady, measured approach will do anything other than maintain the status quo...

I suppose the question there is: what is going to change in the near future that will make us MORE able to compete (or survive) in the Championship? Obviously we'd need better players - which would require more money to buy and pay (unless we managed to home-grow them all, which is a stretch). That then means two things - we currently don't generate enough to do that (fairly obviously as we are selling players to balance the books, because we make a loss) and there must be some plan (or at least you'd hope there is!) that will change that situation. I cannot see how a steady, measured approach will do anything other than maintain the status quo...

Not to mention the tedium of knowing each season we are just making up the numbers.

Fans need to believe that the club has ambitions.

Absolutely agree that the numbers have to stack up on day to day money in/money out, but also we need a board to have the resources and who are prepared to invest in the capital structure of the club.

Nobody has asked anyone to adopt a reckless approach but merely reinvest after selling and after extra funds from a un budgeted for cup run when in with a shout of promotion.. if that cannot be done now then what happens when we are knocked out of the cup early and sit mid table.
As i've already stated elsewhere i doubt there will be a rethink or hesitation once a land becomes available although you have to wonder about the future for High St style shopping, maybe they'll strike deals with the likes of Amazon, Just Eat etc and Deliver Brand Oxford to the door

Absolutely agree that the numbers have to stack up on day to day money in/money out, but also we need a board to have the resources and who are prepared to invest in the capital structure of the club.
I agree - but I'm not sure the current board are willing to spend on a 'football' project. They *might* invest (rather than spend!) on a property project that has incidental benefits for the football club - and of course if the football side of things takes off then they will have another potentially valuable asset on their hands. Whether that sort of property development project is viable is very arguable, and the lack of any even subtle signals from the club seem - to me - to indicate that it's proving hard to make headway. I hope I am wrong.

It's very easy to spend someone else's money.

The fact is we lose 2 mil a year on average and this year we bought a very long lease for the training ground.

We have been playing well and had a very good cup campaign but let's not get ahead of ourselves... we would get torn to pieces in the Championship. Reading spent 50 million in the summer transfer window.

We need to be in a position where we are making money and able to expand our stadium before promotion.

Back
Top Bottom