International News Russian War With Ukraine

That's not to say we should judge any nation in historical terms. Lord alone knows we don't exactly come out of that smelling of roses....and neither do Germany to name but two...

We shouldn't forget where Turkey get oil and gas from.... (Almost all of it is imported from Iraq, Russia and Kazakhstan).
We shouldn't. It's always struck me that we have a lot of people in this country who say we are some sort of evil country due to the trans-atlantic slave trade, I do always think "wait until they find out about Turkey." I think even now they refuse to accept the Armenian genocide.

No point in judging countries by their past though, no one wins.

We shouldn't. It's always struck me that we have a lot of people in this country who say we are some sort of evil country due to the trans-atlantic slave trade, I do always think "wait until they find out about Turkey." I think even now they refuse to accept the Armenian genocide.

No point in judging countries by their past though, no one wins.

We have a 'lot of people'? We have some noisy people certainly.

We have a 'lot of people'? We have some noisy people certainly.
From my imperfect knowledge of major countries very few to none have a "clean slate" of abuses and scandals. We are not a perfect country by any means (just ask QR) but generally I'm comfortable living here.

My heart dies for the people in Ukraine, and Russians who oppose the war. I hope they find happiness wherever they end up.

From my imperfect knowledge of major countries very few to none have a "clean slate" of abuses and scandals. We are not a perfect country by any means (just ask QR) but generally I'm comfortable living here.

My heart dies for the people in Ukraine, and Russians who oppose the war. I hope they find happiness wherever they end up.

Agreed. It was the claim of a lot of people rather than some noisy ones. I suspect the vast, vast majority are indifferent either way.

Agreed. It was the claim of a lot of people rather than some noisy ones. I suspect the vast, vast majority are indifferent either way.
I guess you are right. Just feels like more if you take in the mad world of Twitter. On an optimistic note - could this Russian invasion inadvertently cause the return of centrism as people want to unite for the greater good?

I guess you are right. Just feels like more if you take in the mad world of Twitter. On an optimistic note - could this Russian invasion inadvertently cause the return of centrism as people want to unite for the greater good?
That will all depend on whether the centrism is based on being of benefit to everyone - nobody left behind.

If it is based on self-centrism (see what I did there?), we will end up back here before long.

We always do when greedy fuckers rule the roost.

Had to check this one. The government's website for Ukraine refugees isn't available in... yes, you guessed it.... Ukrainian! 😳 One does despair somewhat.

Not heard of Google translate?
Це дуже простий інструмент у використанні, і ви просто скопіюєте та вставте в будь-якому напрямку.

Well clearly the government hasn't!!!

Why would they?
The majority of refugees fleeing the war want to stay in the immediate neighbouring country so they can return asap.
Only those with wider families or a network will wish to come as far away as the UK.
And the majority of those people will speak English or know someone who does.

Why would they?
The majority of refugees fleeing the war want to stay in the immediate neighbouring country so they can return asap.
Only those with wider families or a network will wish to come as far away as the UK.
And the majority of those people will speak English or know someone who does.

You really are scraping the barrel defending this. It really isn't difficult to have the website in Ukrainian as well and is a basic courtesy. Along with the other obstacles they've put up so far, this is pretty disgusting.

You really are scraping the barrel defending this. It really isn't difficult to have the website in Ukrainian as well and is a basic courtesy. Along with the other obstacles they've put up so far, this is pretty disgusting.

Right so stating reality is now "scraping the barrel"?

You might not like it but I`ll leave it to you to learn the reality. This LSE blog, whilst criticising the overall approach even states the same.

"In contrast, the UK Home Office has announced limited schemes for family members of Ukrainians already living in the UK and for certain other sponsored people. To some extent, the limited scope of UK action is understandable: it is reasonable to assume that at this stage the UK would only be a preferred destination for people who already have strong social connections here, since as long as there is substantial uncertainty over how long Russia’s attacks on Ukraine will last, many fleeing Ukrainians will probably prefer to stay closer to home. And before early March, few would assume that the EU would have executed such a fast volte-face on refugees."

Back
Top Bottom