National News Sir Keir Starmer

So I take it from that that you can't explain why when I say, why can't schools maintain and build on the mitigating actions in place in the summer, you say if I think that I should never leave the house?

I think you underestimate the extreme efforts that schools and staff have gone to, to help mitigate risk.

I get the impression you think further measures will eradicate Covid in schools. I don’t. On the basis that I feel you can’t accept that, I suggested you mitigate your own risk rather then depending on that c@#t (sic) Boris to do it for you.

Simple, really.

The point of guidance is you credit the population with having the IQ to do it and for it to become a habit.

Hands - Face - Space........................ Jesus, Mary and the wee donkey even the referenced "small child" could manage that!

There is little point in legislation because you would be expecting the very same thick fudgers to enforce it.

I was genuinely amazed we are still getting 30k+ cases a day but having ventured out it's easy to see why.

It's either stupidity or selfishness. 🤷‍♀️
OK this is your third and final chance to answer the question or you are in detention or ready to go on TV to talk about anything other than what you are asked.

'What's the point of guidance if people don't follow it?'.

I think you underestimate the extreme efforts that schools and staff have gone to, to help mitigate risk.
Sorry you are wrong. They are following to the government guidance well. It's the guidance that is failing them.
get the impression you think further measures will eradicate Covid in schools
Why do you get that impression when I never said it? How many times do I have to use the word mitigate in relation to the school environment for you to understand me?

OK this is your third and final chance to answer the question or you are in detention or ready to go on TV to talk about anything other than what you are asked.

What’s the point of making something law if it’s nigh on impossible to enforce it?

Sorry you are wrong. They are following to the government guidance well. It's the guidance that is failing them.

Why do you get that impression when I never said it? How many times do I have to use the word mitigate in relation to the school environment for you to understand me?

I am not sure that I have seen anywhere to suggest schools can’t implement their own additional “mitigation“ measures.

Why haven’t they done that? Is it time?, cost?, enforcement?, staffing?, effectiveness?

What’s the point of making something law if it’s nigh on impossible to enforce it?
Because if it's a law far more people will abide by it than if it were guidance. It can also makes it easier for others to make a point of it without the comeback of 'it's only guidance'.

So the answer to your question is: "The guidance provides the framework that sensible folk, with an average level of intellect, can apply to their life for the benefit of themselves and/or others. "

EG: Guidance says "Don`t drink a 1 litre bottle of spirits in one go, it might kill you or make you really poorly" but there is no law to stop you from doing it.

And for a bonus "squirrel"...... What's the point of the Highway Code then as most of that is guidance? It's only the "must not" that fall foul of the law. :)

I am not sure that I have seen anywhere to suggest schools can’t implement their own additional “mitigation“ measures.

Why haven’t they done that? Is it time?, cost?, enforcement?, staffing?, effectiveness?
They can and do, when my kid was off with it and for a bit when they returned their class was put in a bubble by itself, no shared play times, lunch in the classroom not in the hall, earlier pick up to minimise mingling on the way out etc. but that doesn't fit with someones narrative that if it isn't law it can't be done!

They can and do, when my kid was off with it and for a bit when they returned their class was put in a bubble by itself, no shared play times, lunch in the classroom not in the hall, earlier pick up to minimise mingling on the way out etc. but that doesn't fit with someones narrative that if it isn't law it can't be done!

Do you mean they applied the guidance to their situation?

Well, knock me down with a feather..... I would have that draconian legislation and masked squads of enforcers was the only way to do it. :)

Private school maybe. State schools get a pretty clear stear from the LA whether they are in a Trust or not. I assume it's so they don't upset the open everything up freedom brigade. Popularisum in action even if it may not be the best think to do (🤔 where have we seen that before?).

That said our school was very quick to 'move away' from the guidance and apply real common sense once the outbreak hit. So good on them.

Updated: my second child (the one with asthma) has 20 mins ago recorded a pretty strong positive LFT. 😡

So the answer to your question is: "The guidance provides the framework that sensible folk, with an average level of intellect, can apply to their life for the benefit of themselves and/or others. "

EG: Guidance says "Don`t drink a 1 litre bottle of spirits in one go, it might kill you or make you really poorly" but there is no law to stop you from doing it.

And for a bonus "squirrel"...... What's the point of the Highway Code then as most of that is guidance? It's only the "must not" that fall foul of the law. :)
Three and out!

Private school maybe. State schools get a pretty clear stear from the LA whether they are in a Trust or not. I assume it's so they don't upset the open everything up freedom brigade. Popularisum in action even if it may not be the best think to do (🤔 where have we seen that before?).

That said our school was very quick to 'move away' from the guidance and apply real common sense once the outbreak hit. So good on them.

Updated: my second child (the one with asthma) has 20 mins ago recorded a pretty strong positive LFT. 😡

So guidance is enough then, and people, schools, organisations etc. can and do move away from said guidance to do more as and when it is warranted? So where is the problem?

So guidance is enough then, and people, schools, organisations etc. can and do move away from said guidance to do more as and when it is warranted? So where is the problem?
They are expected to do why the LA says the should do. A lot of pressure on Headteachers.

Update: second child's PCR positive... and my wife's!! 😡😡😡

They are expected to do why the LA says the should do. A lot of pressure on Headteachers.

Update: second child's PCR positive... and my wife's!! 😡😡😡
So much so, that your kids school and my kids school both went away from the guidance?

So much so, that your kids school and my kids school both went away from the guidance?
They did, but only once it had struck. I get the feeling they felt they then had the ammo to say sod you.

Last edited:
Three and out!

Try reading..... a small child could.

Hope everything works out for the offspring.

Try reading..... a small child could.

Hope everything works out for the offspring.
The question wasn't 'what's the point of guidance?' which is what you have answered but 'what's the point of guidance if people don't follow it?'.

But you've had your three chances now. Sorry.

The question wasn't 'what's the point of guidance?' which is what you have answered but 'what's the point of guidance if people don't follow it?'.

But you've had your three chances now. Sorry.

In pedants corner tonight - ever heard of social responsibility? It's the same as not gobbing in the street, not littering, not pissing in people's gardens etc etc.

It's a bit like washing your hands - wearing a mask - avoiding people.

Don`t make it out to be any more complex than that and don`t even suggest legislation would make a jot of difference.

In pedants corner tonight - ever heard of social responsibility? It's the same as not gobbing in the street, not littering, not pissing in people's gardens etc etc.

Don`t make it out to be any more complex than that and don`t even suggest legislation would make a jot of difference.

If you properly fine people etc, creating precedence and sending a clear message (obviously not a strength of this Govt) then legislation would make a difference.

All you ever do is lay out what you consider to be the virtues of guidance. You don't say what should happen if your average person in the street doesn't follow the guidance. It's a general question. Doesn't have to be covid specific.

Please down tell me the virtues of guidance again! 😱

Back
Top Bottom