General The Board & Senior Management

I think George Elek would be an excellent candidate to sit on any new fandangled fan thingy being talked about by the club. Very articulate, an ardent fan, knows a lot about other clubs and would stand his ground I think.
Hi George :ROFLMAO:

Top 30 club doesn’t mean a lack of communication though. Again, look at Brighton who held a fans forum in London before playing Arsenal away.

They might have experience at clubs such as Inter Milan and Man United but they aren’t at those clubs now (for a reason probably).

Take time to get to know the fan base and what they expect from you, what fans want and what is important to them.
They haven’t done any of that.

For all his faults, Eales got that side of things right by appointing Sarah as SLO (a proper one) and fans were happy by the communication from the club.

It is now very much a them and us and we are just minions that only deserve communication when they feel like it.

They sent out the update from Tim on the back of fans pressuring for better communication.
They react to promoting games and other things due to this forum and social media.

They need to be proactive rather than react to comments from this forum.
I think we're saying the same thing, broadly. They've seen how things work (or don't, depending on how you look at it) at the likes of Man Utd and Inter and thought they'd try to apply the same or similar methods here. It simply will not work.

Also agree that Sarah Gooding was an excellent SLO. I'd have her back at the club in a heartbeat.

The writing was on the wall with Uncle Timmy when he announced himself so spectacularly to Oxford fans by calling us customers. At the time it could have been forgiven as an honest faux pas (albeit generously, I personally don't know how you can start a job at a football club by being so unprepared and using such a disconnected term for fans) from a man finding his bearings, but his reaction to being, and quite rightly, called out on it has really set the tone for his tenure. He went on the 5MFF and got spikey and defensive, rather than being apologetic and sincere. It was obvious then that he was going to be nothing but an arrogant and insecure shambles of a CEO, at a time when it was critical we got good day-to-day leadership.

It just shows that people like Ferguson, Williams and Benson don’t understand football supporters, in particular Oxford United supporters and the emotional attachment towards our club.
This hits the nail on the head - Williams, Benson and Ferguson seem to have been taken by surprise that the fan base of a provincial league 1 football club is a lot different to that of a global giant. Funnily enough, we can't be placated by big money signings and the thought that as long as we're winning league titles and qualifying for the champions league, we broadly don't care what goes on behind the scenes. We are acutely aware of how fragile our existence is, and that we don't have a multitude of revenue streams and an endless queue of billionnaires looking for a football club for clout and status if this doesn't work out. We want reassurances that we're in safe hands - strange that, after the amount of times we've been burned before - and that they understand just how important this club is to communities across the county. We want to be as active and involved as we possibly can be in making this club such a positive force for Oxfordshire.

Instead, they're trying to run before they can walk and are treating us as if there's an army of tourists queuing up to pay £150 a ticket even if the die hards won't go from becoming disillusioned. They have nothing but contempt for us and only care about having our cash and getting those sweet match day activations. At the moment they're playing a risky game and haven't fully considered how much they actually need us to reach their top 30 promised land.

It's all very sad and frustrating as this should be an incredibly exciting period with the new stadium on the horizon and is exactly the time they should be working with the fan base and galvanising it. Some will say that everything hinges on the stadium and that we're in a bit of limbo until then, but that doesn't mean you then go the opposite way and actively p**s us off and alienate us, and also leave the playing side of the club to chance until we get the approval. They seemed to have learned nothing from last season and how perilously close we got to league 2 through their arrogance and ignorance of the situation - I thought they would be the wake up call they needed but alas, they just seemed to have doubled down.

I'd love them to get out of our club. They don't deserve the privilege of being its custodians and then reaping the benefits if we do finally realise our potential. They are just another set of chancers trying to leach off the football industry.

The key issue looking from afar appears to be that Tim Williams is trying to run OUFC like a mini MUFC. Like MUFC we have owners who rely on updates from their appointed leader on site. Like MUFC we have a CEO who appoints clones who will not challenge his authority unfortunately Des fits in that position. Like MUFC we have a CEO who thinks the solution to his fan issues are divide and conqueor. Unlike MUFC we need our local fan base, unlike MUFC he will need fan support to get planning permission over the line.
Ultimately unless he changes his approach there is real danger this will end in total disaster.
He appears to talk but never really listens. He already knows he knows best, doesn't learn or even accept his obvious mistakes.
As each day goes by, the danger of oblivion looms larger, if we fail to get planning permission in a timely manner is there an effective plan B.
What is absolutely certain is a plan B exists.

I will also point out again the Benson was recruited by Wasps to ‘drive further growth’, they went into admin 2 years later!

I doubt anyone could name 3 positive things he has done at the club since he joined.
In not sure linking Benson’s activities to Wasps being put into admin is that fair. Rugby union (& Wasps in particular) has had some major structural issues that one individual at one club is not going to be able to put right.

Mind you I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve criticism for things that have happened at OUFC. There’s plenty of stuff he has / hasn’t done at OUFC worth commenting on!

The key issue looking from afar appears to be that Tim Williams is trying to run OUFC like a mini MUFC. Like MUFC we have owners who rely on updates from their appointed leader on site. Like MUFC we have a CEO who appoints clones who will not challenge his authority unfortunately Des fits in that position. Like MUFC we have a CEO who thinks the solution to his fan issues are divide and conqueor. Unlike MUFC we need our local fan base, unlike MUFC he will need fan support to get planning permission over the line.
Ultimately unless he changes his approach there is real danger this will end in total disaster.
He appears to talk but never really listens. He already knows he knows best, doesn't learn or even accept his obvious mistakes.
As each day goes by, the danger of oblivion looms larger, if we fail to get planning permission in a timely manner is there an effective plan B.
He thinks he knows best but he is so out of touch with the fan base it is unreal.
He now has the lead local radio match day presenter questioning him and a well known, respected EFL tv pundit questioning his actions.

Unless he learns quickly Timmy might find himself under some difficult questions as I’m sure the owners won’t want the local press saying negative things about the running of the club at such a pivotal stage in regards to the new stadium.

He thinks he knows best but he is so out of touch with the fan base it is unreal.
He now has the lead local radio match day presenter questioning him and a well known, respected EFL tv pundit questioning his actions.

Unless he learns quickly Timmy might find himself under some difficult questions as I’m sure the owners won’t want the local press saying negative things about the running of the club at such a pivotal stage in regards to the new stadium.
This is what intrigues me most as from the outside in it looks as though TW really can do what he wants without any consequences. Do the owners keep an eye on his actions at all or do they just rely on his feedback as to how things are going?

This is what intrigues me most as from the outside in it looks as though TW really can do what he wants without any consequences. Do the owners keep an eye on his actions at all or do they just rely on his feedback as to how things are going?
Being pragmatic about this leads me to imagine that the owners would be happy in the knowledge that their investment is being run on a sound business basis. This alone may be all that concerns them. They have their representation in Oxford, they have their link to the city, colleges etc. We do not know if they wish for more than that, it has never been openly discussed (with them) and, let's be honest, if someone is willing to pick up the tab for a stadium, training ground and the team costs, how many of the fanbase are really concerned? That's not being flippant or head in the sand, that's being realistic. Most on here are, and have grounds to be, suspicous of the real motives but, short of storming the boardroom (again) how much influence can we exert? Aside from which, the boardroom would be empty as they are never here!

The chuckle brothers are probably happy knowing they can do what they like. That's if they are actually concerned in the first place.

This is how I see it too. Delusions of grandeur combined with ignorance is a dangerous combo. It feels like we could be in a viscous cycle here - the lack of comms and build up of mistakes means even when we do have interaction with the Board its starting from a negative place. So much better to have an open culture where issues get dealt with one by one and the rough with the smooth. I don't personally have much interest in fans forums but when it does eventually happen it'll be so overdue and off the back of so much rancour can see it having a really unhealthy us vs them vibe.

Our owners are investing enormous sums in the club beyond our wildest dreams a few years ago. Its unfortunate that they seem to have trusted people without the skills or experience to marshall that cash appropriately. In a way its simple stuff - look at those traditional smaller clubs who *have* stepped up and made a go of things in recent years (Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton etc.) and learn from them. None are perfect but one thing they all share is a long term vision and plan which places supporters at the centre (even if just symbolically sometimes).

Being pragmatic about this leads me to imagine that the owners would be happy in the knowledge that their investment is being run on a sound business basis. This alone may be all that concerns them. They have their representation in Oxford, they have their link to the city, colleges etc. We do not know if they wish for more than that, it has never been openly discussed (with them) and, let's be honest, if someone is willing to pick up the tab for a stadium, training ground and the team costs, how many of the fanbase are really concerned? That's not being flippant or head in the sand, that's being realistic. Most on here are, and have grounds to be, suspicous of the real motives but, short of storming the boardroom (again) how much influence can we exert? Aside from which, the boardroom would be empty as they are never here!

The chuckle brothers are probably happy knowing they can do what they like. That's if they are actually concerned in the first place.
And I don’t think this forum is representative of opinions. It seems to me many supporters think it’s all going fine.

It's a really good point, and one that is probably held by the vast majority of fans who go to games but don't get too involved in the day to day issues, and don't view things on social media. That's not to undermine the concerns raised on here, 99% of which are completely legitimate.

It's a really good point, and one that is probably held by the vast majority of fans who go to games but don't get too involved in the day to day issues, and don't view things on social media. That's not to undermine the concerns raised on here, 99% of which are completely legitimate.
This is true. Always will be. This kind of thing does tend to build up over time though and will have an impact even if its just subliminal right now. A badly run club, like a badly run workplace, can tick along for ages if performance is ok and if you have decent staff on the frontline. But if it festers always a disaster in the end. Among my OUFC friends and acquaintances I know people ranging from a couple of diehards who live on here to those who barely even follow the transfer news until it hits Radio Oxford. I agree that the latter generally don't pay attention to club politics and are pretty happy that we're doing ok but... the number of times I've heard them say this season versions of "things just don't feel right" or "it's a strange atmosphere" even when we're winning games - that's a bad sign.

A great little quip from Nathan Cooper during the Blackpool game. He started referencing poor communication between Cumming and Moore over a back pass. But Nathan then joked about poor communication generally within the club. Jerome chuckled and said 'a bit of politics there'. It says a lot when the club's broadcast partner, along with their stadium announcer, publicly references poor communication within the club - again.

A great little quip from Nathan Cooper during the Blackpool game. He started referencing poor communication between Cumming and Moore over a back pass. But Nathan then joked about poor communication generally within the club. Jerome chuckled and said 'a bit of politics there'. It says a lot when the club's broadcast partner, along with their stadium announcer, publicly references poor communication within the club - again.
I thought that was pretty unprofessional.

Back
Top Bottom