General Well done the players

Yes i dont know why we didn’t, looked a bit rubbish I thought if Blackpool were doing it, especially as most of our players are white. I’d say both sides should agree to do it or neither.

No it’s a collective gesture of support. I think the point has been made, I’d be ok with them stopping after this season, but all the players need to do the same thing.
So should everyone have clapped for the NHS back in Lockdown 1 even if they didn't want too?

Imagine being triggered by someone making a statement reflecting their beliefs?

• React
Reactions: m
So should everyone have clapped for the NHS back in Lockdown 1 even if they didn't want too?
It’s not the same, there are a set number of players making a public gesture . Anyway I think it’s been great, but would rather it stopped than fizzled out.

Yes i dont know why we didn’t, looked a bit rubbish I thought if Blackpool were doing it, especially as most of our players are white. I’d say both sides should agree to do it or neither.
Are you implying because most of our players are white it somehow looks racist?

Don't understand that at all. This gesture has long lost its meaning (not that I thought it even had one in the first place).

Are you implying because most of our players are white it somehow looks racist?

Don't understand that at all. This gesture has long lost its meaning (not that I thought it even had one in the first place).
It just looks odd, one team doing it and one not. Makes it look like not doing it means something, though I’m sure it didn’t.

The players have stopped doing it the last few weeks. Unsure why. Seems that they stop and start when they please. Strange.

It's a collective decision hopefully led by our black players and with the white players listening and following their direction. There's no right or wrong here except young sportspeople trying to figure out the best way to make a positive change. I support them in that whatever way they decide to express it. Same goes for other teams who choose differently (as long as it's the black players calling it).

Last edited:
It's a collective decision hopefully led by our black players and with the white players listening and following their direction. There's no right or wrong here except young sportspeople trying to figure out the best way to make a positive change. I support them in that whatever way they decide to express it. Same goes for other teams who choose differently (as long as it's the black players calling it).
Why is the black players opinion on taking the knee any more important than the white players opinion of taking the knee? Both are equally valid. It doesn't need to be "led" by black players. Its a squad decision.

Does it need to be a squad decision? Surely players can take an individual position will be interesting to see what happens at the euros.

Why is the black players opinion on taking the knee any more important than the white players opinion of taking the knee? Both are equally valid. It doesn't need to be "led" by black players. Its a squad decision.
Fair enough, 'led' might be the wrong word. When it comes to discrimination I'd hope that any team in any walk of life starts by listening to those who have to deal with that discrimination day in day out and follows their guidance on the best way to collectively act.

The way we have 'taken the knee' in this county has been wrong, It was initially a protest against the US government by black sportsmen and gained popularity after the George Floyd killing. When the national anthem was played instead of standing as is the custom they chose to kneel in a show of defiance to the government who they regarded as institutionally racist. To kneel at the start of a football match when no anthem is being played changes the context of the gesture and has led to confusion. People see the act of kneeling as one of deferrence as someone would show to the queen for instance so when it was first performed some misconstrued it as kneeling in deferrence to the Black Lives Matter movement who came to prominence in this country after the Floyd killing. I believe we should have adopted a less ambiguous symbol in this country to show commitment to the anti racist cause and not adopted a gesture and changed it's meaning by using it out of its original context

The way we have 'taken the knee' in this county has been wrong, It was initially a protest against the US government by black sportsmen and gained popularity after the George Floyd killing. When the national anthem was played instead of standing as is the custom they chose to kneel in a show of defiance to the government who they regarded as institutionally racist. To kneel at the start of a football match when no anthem is being played changes the context of the gesture and has led to confusion. People see the act of kneeling as one of deferrence as someone would show to the queen for instance so when it was first performed some misconstrued it as kneeling in deferrence to the Black Lives Matter movement who came to prominence in this country after the Floyd killing. I believe we should have adopted a less ambiguous symbol in this country to show commitment to the anti racist cause and not adopted a gesture and changed it's meaning by using it out of its original context
Well written

This is the UK, not America!
We seem to live exporting US politics over here though. Whatever the new performative "anti-racist" thing which originated on American University campuses is, it will eventually find its way here.

Back
Top Bottom