Where to sit?

I used to SSU mostly, but have come to enjoy the buzz of the East Stand. Not sure I'd want to take an 8 year old there (though you do see kids down the front) as some of the behaviour is hardly the sort of thing I'd want to get my kid used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, and my language does contain the occasional profanity, but there are some people in there (especially men in their 40s) who feel their sole purpose at the ground is to be as horrifically abusive to the opposing players as possible, and it's sad to see that some of the younger fans in the front rows seem to find this amusing and even try to mimic that behaviour.
Unfortunately it’s called passion

Yeah... that was the excuse they used for hooliganism in the 90's and racism in the 80's... both of which are still here...

By here, I mean football in general. I can't remember the last time I heard anything racist at an Oxford match. Still some sexism towards female assistant referee at the Charlton game sadly. Unfortunately I missed who it was who shouted it.

Unfortunately it’s called passion
Passion is an excuse for being an idiot in some cases it’s not being passionate trying to get a child to sing and join in if they don’t feel comfortable

A few thousand passionate fans are idiots then. Shame you have do the high almighty.

Is racist abuse passionate? Or homophobic? Or screaming horrific abuse when in close proximity to children?

You can show passion in supporting your team without being a tw@t!

Passion is an excuse for being an idiot in some cases it’s not being passionate trying to get a child to sing and join in if they don’t feel comfortable
The problem is there idiots in the other 92 football grounds and the % is probably around 50%, it happens technically you can be thrown out as it’s against the rules also for being kissed but very rarely enforced although there was a bloke removed from the East stand tonight for being drunk but there were other who were by him who were also with him pissed but they were haha we do we’re left alone.

The problem is there idiots in the other 92 football grounds and the % is probably around 50%, it happens technically you can be thrown out as it’s against the rules also for being kissed but very rarely enforced although there was a bloke removed from the East stand tonight for being drunk but there were other who were by him who were also with him pissed but they were haha we do we’re left alone.
Bazzer come on, you seem like a good guy and not a t**t, you’re on to a loser here. You can be passionate and still respectful to people around you.

Is racist abuse passionate? Or homophobic? Or screaming horrific abuse when in close proximity to children?

You can show passion in supporting your team without being a tw@t!
There isn’t any racist about or homophobic at Oxford and the amount of children that have sat in the East stand since the ground has been open and have heard foul language and parents of the Mose children explaining that they know it goes on but they still chose to sit in the east stand is their choice but like my grandson who comes along to nearly all home games and occasionally away games know foul language so cuts he also knows that if he sings it or says it in the ground it’s not ok but he won’t be told off, but outside the ground is a different kettle of fish. Your comment about supporting your club without being a tw@t is poor from someone who locks people whom I am sure that a majority are tw@ts so below the belt.

Some would call it bigotry .
At times it’s close to bullying .
Some of the continuous abuse hurled at linemen is horrific ( Burton away this season).
And you’ve been an absolute a model of a supporter all your life?

Bazzer come on, you seem like a good guy and not a t**t, you’re on to a loser here. You can be passionate and still respectful to people around you.
I am as are most of the fans but I do wonder how many righteous people can actually say especially those that were present at matches in the 70’s and 80’s did not join in with some appalling songs, songs which I’m glad we don’t here no more.

There isn’t any racist about or homophobic at Oxford and the amount of children that have sat in the East stand since the ground has been open and have heard foul language and parents of the Mose children explaining that they know it goes on but they still chose to sit in the east stand is their choice but like my grandson who comes along to nearly all home games and occasionally away games know foul language so cuts he also knows that if he sings it or says it in the ground it’s not ok but he won’t be told off, but outside the ground is a different kettle of fish. Your comment about supporting your club without being a tw@t is poor from someone who locks people whom I am sure that a majority are tw@ts so below the belt.

I have no idea what you are arguing here.

The original comment was that whilst the East stand has a really good atmosphere, it may not be the place to bring children. The individual stated that he had heard some horrific abuse aimed at the opposition players from a few small minority. That isn't passion and it in no way reflects the thousands who turn up and support their team without screaming abuse.

The fact that abuse was worse in the 70's and 80's is a terrible excuse for turning a blind eye to it now. And you don't need to be the perfect citizen to challenge poor behaviour.

I'm not sure why you're defending this?

I have no idea what you are arguing here.

The original comment was that whilst the East stand has a really good atmosphere, it may not be the place to bring children. The individual stated that he had heard some horrific abuse aimed at the opposition players from a few small minority. That isn't passion and it in no way reflects the thousands who turn up and support their team without screaming abuse.

The fact that abuse was worse in the 70's and 80's is a terrible excuse for turning a blind eye to it now. And you don't need to be the perfect citizen to challenge poor behaviour.

I'm not sure why you're defending this?
I’m not but it happens in every league ground in the country as well as premier grounds and non league, it isn’t an excuse I grant you but it goes on and will carry on but not int he way it was in the past and yes the c word is used quite a lot which isn’t nice but it is sung by a large proportion of fans when they want sing something like “ goalie goalie you’re a …..not acceptable but it is and by younger fans who’ve had a few beers before hand or just think it’s acceptable Of which it isn’t.
A few years ago when we were beaten by Northwich Victoria a few idiots ran in the pitch and the amount of abode that was directed at them wasn’t acceptable but justified all the same especially when they wanted to scrap with their own fans. They should have been identified and banned but weren’t so the club has to take some responsibility.
Yes we here the tannoy warning fans of their behaviour but very rarely acted upon.

it happens technically you can be thrown out as it’s against the rules also for being kissed but very rarely enforced
Wait, what? You can be thrown out for being kissed? What about instigating a kiss, or is just the receiver that gets thrown out? And is is a hard and fast rule, all received kisses and you are out, or is there a certain threshold of kiss which causes the ejection, for example a peck is OK, but slip the tongue and you are banned from the ground?

I think we need the S.O.U.P group to clarify the rules...

Just before kick-off at Cheltenham, I witnessed a punch-up between two Oxford fans that a female steward had to break up (well done her) before other stewards assisted and one of the fans saying to the other 'Why did you spit in my face' - we, like all clubs, have some unpleasant people who attend matches.

Back
Top Bottom