Away Match Day Thread 10/02/2024 L1: Blackpool FC v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A fool arrives. (Is this Karl Robinson I wonder?)

1) The A league where Des has managed one club and been effective manager of another is definitely the equivalent to the EFL.
2) 7th in the table is not "mid table obscurity"
3) what Des- related pun are you going to use when we get promoted?

@Northernyellow keep an eye on your lad...
Tbf were 7th bottom in the form table. Today at least showed signs of improvement

The DESaster continues as we hurtle towards mid table obscurity.

Hey, it may surprise some of you, but the teams previously managed by Des would not make the EFC. His appointment remains a complete mystery.

Everton Football Club?

Great finish from Harris, and lovely little flick on from Moore.

But the miss from Bodin was embarrassing, I mean, it wasn't even as though the ball came at him too fast and caught him unaware, he had all the time in the world to put that away.

Same for McGuane, terrible missed air shot, but what the hell was he f*****g around for after that?!?! He had all the time in the world to pull the trigger, is he some sort of cowardly lion or something? SHOOT MAN, f*****g SHOOOOT!!!!

Bloke needs a rocket up his a**e

Great finish from Harris, and lovely little flick on from Moore.

But the miss from Bodin was embarrassing, I mean, it wasn't even as though the ball came at him too fast and caught him unaware, he had all the time in the world to put that away.

Same for McGuane, terrible missed air shot, but what the hell was he f*****g around for after that?!?! He had all the time in the world to pull the trigger, is he some sort of cowardly lion or something? SHOOT MAN, f*****g SHOOOOT!!!!

Bloke needs a rocket up his a**e
He probably should have done better first time- but his pass to Harris was sublime

Let’s have it right, there have been plenty of reasons to be critical of OUFC over the course of the last couple of months. Performance, communication and stagnation etc.

But, that was an excellent performance today. With a little better finishing, we’d have won 3-1 and deservedly so! We were the better side all over the pitch.

Mention for Cumming - that save was unbelievable at 1-1.

Harris is looking like a really good prospect. Goodwin I also like the look of.

Matete for McGuane (he’s moving the ball too slowly and slows us down) and we won’t be too far off our best, currently available Xl.

Great travelling support. Noise and numbers, kudos!

The fact Matete does look like the combative midfielder @WuTang had said we have needed for seasons, has proven him right. Thus, if Des does go, we should back him for manager. Oxford-born boy in the dugout? Decent. Former Ultra in the dugout? That's the dream.

Ty Goodrham has looked lost at times when he has played the 10 role. For me he is better cutting in from the wing.

Problem is when he cuts in we have no natural width & it makes us so narrow & it’s why we struggle against sides who sit back

The fact Matete does look like the combative midfielder @WuTang had said we have needed for seasons, has proven him right. Thus, if Des does go, we should back him for manager. Oxford-born boy in the dugout? Decent. Former Ultra in the dugout? That's the dream.
To be fair, I think the vast majority of our fan base, for multiple seasons, have thought we needed more athleticism and combativeness in the middle of the park. KR even said it himself about three years ago. He just didn't do anything about it. Having said that, quite happy WuTang to be next in line for the role of manager.

Problem is when he cuts in we have no natural width & it makes us so narrow & it’s why we struggle against sides who sit back

Then it is down to the full back to create that width if that happens. Greg Leigh was doing just that before his injury.

I think he will grow into a 10. He has hardly played there. Having said all of that , it seems that lots of modern "wingers" at the top level do play much narrower cutting in much more i.e your Saka's, Fodens, Grealish etc.

Then it is down to the full back to create that width if that happens. Greg Leigh was doing just that before his injury.

Perhaps but if he starts on the wing then comes inside it creates more space through the middle for the strikers & midfielders as teams can’t defend so narrow.

Perhaps but if he starts on the wing then comes inside it creates more space through the middle for the strikers & midfielders as teams can’t defend so narrow.
That’s the key and you saw the difference when Murphy came on - he craves that space and quite happy to wait out on the touchline like an old school winger. He knows if he’s patient enough, he’s got his man 1v1. Goodrham has a tendency to come towards the ball, much like a 10. The problem with that is he’s a little guy with a slightly unreliable first touch coming in to crowded spaces but also takes away space for Rodrigues to operate in. We don’t need them both making the same movement unless Leigh is going to maraud up the flank which he didn’t do today. So it had fleeting moments today but I don’t think goodrham and Rodrigues is a good combination, personally. And if I had to choose I’d play Rodrigues every time.

I’m not heaping on Tyler who had a good game, but I can’t remember the last time those two really linked well. Where as Rodrigues and our more direct wingers (see Mills, Edwards, Burey, Murphy) seem to click. I think Rodrigues likes that full space to himself and is good enough to own it and we’re a better team when that’s the case. Tough one for Des with Goodrham scoring goals lately but he’s in and out of games too much and Rodrigues hasn’t had a real edge-of-your-seat game since Leyton Orient away. He’s key to getting out of this league so on Tuesday I’d be looking at Tyler’s position for a change.

Just back from the place time has forgotten ten fold and a place where the saints and sinners adult store was a filthy respite from normal Blackpool life.

However, I digress, and can report that with 'quads, ankles and hamstrings' all slowly making their way back to recovery (sounds like the Stock, Aitken and Waterman of the physio room) we could well be seeing on Tuesday and next Saturday a team who will definitely win more games than we draw or lose in the next fifteen games.

MOM for me was Elliott Moore who was a collusus at the back. The geezer since the phantom 'pilgrim' interest seems to have moved up another level in performance and although there were several other contenders today for a christenedinjericho accolade young Matete gets the Little Clarendon Street award for best newcomer!

Not so tired this week - COYY'S.

That’s the key and you saw the difference when Murphy came on - he craves that space and quite happy to wait out on the touchline like an old school winger. He knows if he’s patient enough, he’s got his man 1v1. Goodrham has a tendency to come towards the ball, much like a 10. The problem with that is he’s a little guy with a slightly unreliable first touch coming in to crowded spaces but also takes away space for Rodrigues to operate in. We don’t need them both making the same movement unless Leigh is going to maraud up the flank which he didn’t do today. So it had fleeting moments today but I don’t think goodrham and Rodrigues is a good combination, personally. And if I had to choose I’d play Rodrigues every time.

I’m not heaping on Tyler who had a good game, but I can’t remember the last time those two really linked well. Where as Rodrigues and our more direct wingers (see Mills, Edwards, Burey, Murphy) seem to click. I think Rodrigues likes that full space to himself and is good enough to own it and we’re a better team when that’s the case. Tough one for Des with Goodrham scoring goals lately but he’s in and out of games too much and Rodrigues hasn’t had a real edge-of-your-seat game since Leyton Orient away. He’s key to getting out of this league so on Tuesday I’d be looking at Tyler’s position for a change.

Spot on mate, love Goodrham but needs to stretch the play for others. If you look at the best sides we’ve played this season, they use the full width of the pitch which in turn creates more space for others. If Goodrham can’t be disciplined enough to maintain the width then start burey and Murphy in my opinion which will then spread the play & keep the width.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom