Ex Player #11 Joey Beauchamp RIP

I wasn’t living in Oxford during Joey’s career and thought perhaps I never saw him play as I didn’t go to matches then. Having checked back to the three games I saw in the midlands in 1992/93 he played in two, against Birmingham City and Wolves, and scored in one.

RIP , there will be many fond memories for fans who saw him , particularly people who are of a similar age and would have seen him as one of their generation.

[edit : also for those fans who were friends and acquaintances of him, a recurring theme is how many people knew him from school days or being a local in town]

Last edited:
It is amazing to see the respect he is getting on other fans forums. No disrespect to other Oxford players, but it says something about how good he was. When some idiots in the plastic media even call us Oxford City it’s still a surprise to see how well known he was to proper fans. They all seemed to wish their club had signed him! Proper legend.

Hello all - lapsed OUFC supporter abroad, here, East Oxford born and raised, last a regular at the Manor in 1999. The news of Joey's passing brings me back here. I wish to express my condolences to Joey's loved ones for their tragic loss and to share my gratitude, like so many have already on the forum, for the joy and excitement that Joey's skills gave us, as well as his unswerving loyalty to our club. I never knew him personally, but I remember him breaking into a struggling side at the foot of the old Second Division in 1991-92, alongside Chrissy Allen, and lighting up the Manor with his energy and imagination - the presence of the two local lads driving down the wings brought us fans closer together in that difficult, but memorable, season. There are stacks of memorable goals we could recall, but Joey's winner at Tranmere in May 1992 to lift us out of the drop zone on the final day, the celebrations at the final whistle and the unity of the fans that day, were for me something I will never forget - football is ultimately about belonging, not merely winning and losing - he helped save this club on many occasions, both on and off the field and was truly one of our own.

Joey's departure to West Ham and the "what-ifs" of his career have all been much discussed, but let us show compassion and gratitude to Joey and acknowledge the strain that young men like him often have to endure without adequate support, often simply told to "sort it out", or "toughen up". From what I can gather he was an unassuming, introverted lad who expressed himself on the pitch and was loyal to his roots. The football culture he inhabited in the 1990s demanded he be a very different personality in order to fit in. He was compelled to make the move to West Ham, with the added pressure put on his shoulders that the club would go under. It was simply not the environment for a lad like Joey, he needed example, nurturing and a sense of belonging, but was traded as a commodity, thrown into the glaring spotlight of the Premier League rumour mill and then publicly derided by the likes of Billy Bonds and Harry Redknapp.

Frustrating as it may have been for those of us looking on from outside to see a local lad not go onto greater things, I guess he struggled with the compulsion live up to the expectations of others - he rejected the promises of the Premier League and was maligned for his choice to move to Swindon, but all he ever wanted was to return to sleepy, provincial Oxford and play for his hometown club. If he had been from, say, East London, Liverpool or Manchester, this attitude would have been celebrated. Joey valued rootedness, community and family over possible riches and success in the Premier League, he embodied values that are often derided today - we must respect him for that - he was our Tom Finney, our Stanley Matthews: we may never see his kind again.
Be at peace, Joey, you were much loved.
Very well expressed

This thread on the Mackem forum is an interesting idea mods. ^^^. A place for guys to share their feelings and issues .

Its a hard one and very sad one. Joey was one of the very rare players which always loved Oxford and was Oxford born and bred. From being a fan, ball boy and player Joey always had Oxford at his heart. Even the move to West Ham when Oxford needed money or bankruptcy was looming he put the club first. I was sat in the Wig and Pen when my partner told me from a Mark Edwards FB thread about the tragic happenings of Yesterday. RIP Joey when they say about breaking the mould OUFC need look no further,

Very sad news, some of my best childhood memories were up the manor in the early mid 90’s with my Grandad, watching Joey score great goals and exciting us all. Deepest sympathies to all his family and friends. It will be an emotional one on Saturday

Same. I'm trying to swap my shift though.
The way I read the club’s statement, this week’s mark of respect for Joey at the Cambridge game e.g. a round of applause was mainly to acknowledge the situation, especially at short notice, but planned to do something bigger at a later stage.

Hope this is the case as I’m not able to make this week’s game either, but would like to do something else that is more planned that recognises what Joey meant to the club and fans alike.

If not, then I’ll think of him at 3pm and those fond footballing memories he brought to many over his spells with the club.

RIP Joey.

The way I read the club’s statement, this week’s mark of respect for Joey at the Cambridge game e.g. a round of applause was mainly to acknowledge the situation, especially at short notice, but planned to do something bigger at a later stage.

Hope this is the case as I’m not able to make this week’s game either, but would like to do something else that is more planned that recognises what Joey meant to the club and fans alike.

If not, then I’ll think of him at 3pm and those fond footballing memories he brought to many over his spells with the club.

RIP Joey.
Yes it's far too soon for family to attend the game, come on the pitch etc, if they even want too.

They need time to take in the news before thinking about attending a football game.

My memory is not what it was.
I think I am right in saying the 4.1 win v QPR when he took the ball from the half way line passed 3 to 4 players and scored with a great finish .
I recall swashbuckling wins over QOR,Sunderland, Wolves and Sheffield Utd in 1996 or 7, inspired by Joey. Really the most exciting player I ever saw in yellow.

I’ve just looked up his debut, it was that 0/0 vs Hull where Alan Judge went off injured. In front of 4000 in div 2! Shortly after that I took a Canadian girl from work to see a dull 0/0 vs Newcastle, a match enlivened only by the young lad on the wing.

I recall swashbuckling wins over QOR,Sunderland, Wolves and Sheffield Utd in 1996 or 7, inspired by Joey. Really the most exciting player I ever saw in yellow.

I’ve just looked up his debut, it was that 0/0 vs Hull where Alan Judge went off injured. In front of 4000 in div 2! Shortly after that I took a Canadian girl from work to see a dull 0/0 vs Newcastle, a match enlivened only by the young lad on the wing.
Think his debut was coming on in a 0-4 loss at home to Watford, last game of the season . I remember it well

Think his debut was coming on in a 0-4 loss at home to Watford, last game of the season . I remember it well
Ah yes, that was his debut as a sub, mine was his full debut.

That was the end of our first season back in div 2 after relegation then. Amazing to think that Joey finished up playing at the new ground. By then he was struggling with injury but I still loved to see him in the team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom