5th Test 12-16 September 2019 The Oval

In retrospect Curran should have played once Anderson was ruled out. He certainly caused Smith a lit of problems (well more than anybody else)
Archer is our x factor. 22 wickets so far. Amazing for his first series.
I am surprised that some are writing off Buttler. He has rarely been in any position to play a normal game. He seems to always be left with the tail, running out of partners. His 70 was a huge innings in the context of this game.

Good to see both openers seeing out the tricky evening session for once. If the likes of Bairstow and Buttler can come in when we’ve got a lead of 300+ on the board we could really see them have some fun and let loose.

Good to see both openers seeing out the tricky evening session for once. If the likes of Bairstow and Buttler can come in when we’ve got a lead of 300+ on the board we could really see them have some fun and let loose.

A presentable dropped catch and DRS to (correctly) overturn a wicket in those tricky last 15 minutes mind!

Think we’ll get about 200 to 230 on the board which should be enough with the first innings lead.

Worth pointing out that - although he's not been great - since Buttler came back into the Test side last summer, the only player to have faced more balls and scored more runs than him is Joe Root, and no one has scored more 50s (ten of them).

I do believe there's room for one slogger in the middle order, and Buttler has been way better than Roy or Bairstow for that spot.
My day dream was to have him keep wicket and bat at 6/7. But the niggle is he is doesn't convert the batting time in centuries. I do think the lower middle order needs to be recompiled from where it is now. Bairstow has a lot of technical work to do in my eyes and his recent average shows it.

I was thinking about Smith yesterday and the thought came to me that perhaps the best way to keep him honest is a varied bowling attack. Yesterday we had a very quick bowler, a quick bowler, a swinger, a left arm pace bowler and a left arm spinner. Mentally, he is readjusting each over, rather than getting into a rhythm.

A decent morning so far.
England have ridden their luck a little but are in a very strong position now.
Denly will hope to push on and get a big score which would guarantee him.a trip to NZ

A shame Root has gone but the lead is a very nice figure so far. Surely England can't blow this?

Roots wicket changed things a little, but I'd still say that England edged that session. Best part of 160 ahead and 8 wickets in hand should give us the chance to set a decent total. Denly has been looking much more assured and could go on to get a big score if he keeps his concentration. And if he stays in then hopefully Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler can play their more natural game to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Still feeling confident, now on to see Oxford win 4-0!!!

Denly being backed up well by Stokes.....hope the remaining 8 stand as strong as these two

I suppose i'll have to ask.... What makes you think we won't throw away a number of wickets in this innings in just as cavalier a fashion as we have been doing all series? You're right in that there's no reason we *shouldn't* be able to make a decent score, but I'd be quite surprised (and very pleased) if we managed to get to lunch tomorrow without losing at least two wickets, probably three.
Still, at least I'll be able to watch the U's thrashing Tranmere 4-0, blissfully unaware of the wickets clattering at the Oval.

Having just got to 300 with wickets to spare, and on the back of a 3-0 home win, I thought it might be nice to check in with your post!!

Having a little optimism occasionally pays off!!

More runs won't do any harm with the weather set fair and around 2 days to get them out. I suppose you want to Steve Smith proof any total and keep the pressure on their batting to get the runs or bat the time. The likes of Wade and Harris really have a lot to prove.

More runs won't do any harm with the weather set fair and around 2 days to get them out. I suppose you want to Steve Smith proof any total and keep the pressure on their batting to get the runs or bat the time. The likes of Wade and Harris really have a lot to prove.

Well, this would already be the second highest 4th innings chase in Test history (22 more runs and it would be #1).

I can understand why they kept batting (gives the bowlers some extra rest - and we'll have five and a half sessions to bowl them out anyhow), but we've clearly got enough runs.

The only real reason to bat tomorrow morning is to annoy/put a little doubt in the Aussie openers' minds as to when they're going to be in.

I didn't see - did Harris end up fielding today, or are the Aussies going to have to use a makeshift opener?

And respect to Denly. He was clearly batting for his place today, and almost certainly did enough to get himself on tour this winter (which will probably annoy his wife, as it'll get him off baby duty!). Would still like to see us take an alternative opener to New Zealand, though, because I'm still not convinced that Denly is the long-term answer.......

Back
Top Bottom