Away Match Day Thread 15/08/23 - L1: Derby County v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those Derby fans on their forum though. What a bunch of babies. Very much a ‘teams like Oxford’ vibe. One of them said it was their worst performance in their history and another said they shouldn’t lose to a team where they hadn’t heard of any of our players. Ok.

Lovely, lovely stuff, from back to front and start to finish. The prospect of McGuane and McEachran pushing each other to perform better each week is mouthwatering..both seriously good players.

Big shout for the defence too...who I am really glad to see forming a cohesive, formidable unit. Negru deserves every single bit of praise and if Thorniley now has to fight to get back in the team, that's a real positive too.

We look to have balance across the pitch and a group of players who fight for everything and each other. If this squad can continue to perform at a level greater than the sum of their parts, then we're in for quite a season.

Also, a word on Cam. Great to see him back as a player over the last couple of games.

And finally, if we can add a couple of signings that add extra quality (and competition) to what we already have, and shift some dead wood too, then I think Manning and the recruitment team will have done a remarkable job so far.

I‘ve been impressed with Manning to date. He’s professIonal, focused on the job in hand. Good on detail. There’s an idea, and there’s a plan, not just for now but the future.

There’s a reason and a purpose to his decision making. It may not always work, as it didn’t with Mapp initially There will be ups and downs along the way, so we need to be patient, there’s still stuff to sort out from last seasons clusterfuck, it’s going to take time, but the early signs are encouraging.

Those Derby fans on their forum though. What a bunch of babies. Very much a ‘teams like Oxford’ vibe. One of them said it was their worst performance in their history and another said they shouldn’t lose to a team where they hadn’t heard of any of our players. Ok.

Good, isn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing the player known (since a bit over a season ago) as "Relegation Ram" at WF this evening , he seems typical.

They will find out to their cost it takes a long time to get out of this division when having an attitude like that.

Whilst i agree with you in spirit, we very much aren't able to take the forum highground given all the bedwetting on here a week ago

Sounds like us in the Conference early on.

I haven't heard of most of theirs, so on that basis it was just a routine win against a team of nobodys last night then.

We are streets ahead of Derby in terms of personnel and style. Even Stevenage are better than Derby. I love it when those cocky big sides get a dose of reality! They may be in this league just as long as Sunderland were if they aren't careful.

LOL - “what the f**k”

It was such a clear penalty from our angle in the away end but you could also see that the referee saw it perfectly too. As at the time, I can only think that the ref wimped out of the decision as Harris was possibly unlikely to get to the ball regardless due to it running through to the keeper.

A cowardly lack of a decision though. Thank the Lord it had no bearing on the result.

46 games in a season - can almost guarantee that we're going to rotate McGuane, McEachran & Cam in there.

But the evidence from today and Saturday (though not so much Cambridge) is that they can all be bloody effective in this formation.
McGuane is great when the opposition don't press, given that bit of time he becomes a very very good player. McEachran looks better against the press, so I see them being rotated depending on the opposition. Having said all that, we have a team that looks awesome when confident. Everyone is comfortable on the ball, and players were making movement for the next pass. Really great to watch and gets the fans behind them.
The confidence is even more evident defensively, players tracking back, putting bodies on the line. The few displays we have seen from Negru, he has the potential to play at a very high level.
Harris given the right ball will hurt teams, compare and contrast Derby to Cambridge. The static nature of Derby's back 3 certainly helped but midfield players driving at the opposition create space for him to exploit. Rodrigues is still learning at this level but he is certainly energy and creativity.
Certainly it was one of those special away performances, that may just be the catalyst for this season. It may equally just be a complete one off. On to Barnsley!!

Decent dcfc tv highlights - would love something similar. Pretty complimentary about Oxford's play too.
I logged in to comment on the quality of Rams TV, it is very very good, I'd encourage anyone reading this to watch their highlights, for the zoom and different angles of the goals, makes the strikes for the goals look even better

They don't have iFollow, but their own Rams tv. With more cameras!

Decent dcfc tv highlights - would love something similar. Pretty complimentary about Oxford's play too.
Harris’s first goal is reminiscent of the one he got against QPR, he can really strike a ball. Most of our players would have put both of them over the bar.

Back
Top Bottom