Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Got to be honest he’s winning me over.

Despite eventually getting fit Manning was far from convinced, yet Buckingham has somehow got him playing well.

Long may it continue.
It’s the ‘somehow’ that worries me but just how does anybody ignore the form he’s in? I can’t see how you can’t give consideration to keeping him on and I suspect Des is falling over himself to extend but I just hope it’s done IF the terms are right. He’s playing at a level now where it would be easy for the club to drop their trousers for him. I just really, really hope we are sensible with the offer. If we give him more of the same then we’re our own worst enemy.

I’d love to see Murphy here next season and imagine if Goodwin can have a good pre season, how deadly he could be with Murphy and Dale providing crosses like they do.
Goodwin is the perfect player for this style of play, unfortunately right now, Harris just isn’t the type of striker who will get his head on things like WG would.

Only thing that's missing is being on the same wavelength with others up front on occasion. Once that's there, possibly up there with the best in the league in his position.

We've had the discussion Murphy, Browne or Edwards before, but he's far off in the distance between the three of them IMO.
I thought the Harris goal today spoke a lot about how others are beginning to tune into Murphy's wavelength. We've seen numerous times where Murphy has pretty much put it on a plate but Harris or others have been half a yard off the pace. Today, it felt like Murphy took a little pace off the ball and Harris gambled early, and got a tap in. Repeat that and Harris will score a shitload.

I also think that a fully fit Goodwin would love playing in a side with Murphy and Dale as he can poach but is also much better in the air. And Goodrham will be preferred in the no.10 role over Rodrigues which will also give options with the ball being pulled back.

Very basic I know, but next season I'd like to see a set up like this at home,
Screenshot_20240401_215856_LINEUP11.jpg
And this away,
Screenshot_20240401_220251_LINEUP11.jpg

* I've included Matete simply because he apparently fitted in well within the club and if able to recover from his injury and get a full pre-season then he'd be a good addition.

It’s the ‘somehow’ that worries me but just how does anybody ignore the form he’s in? I can’t see how you can’t give consideration to keeping him on and I suspect Des is falling over himself to extend but I just hope it’s done IF the terms are right. He’s playing at a level now where it would be easy for the club to drop their trousers for him. I just really, really hope we are sensible with the offer. If we give him more of the same then we’re our own worst enemy.

The terms Murphy is on has been hugely exaggerated. He's currently on wages comparable to Dale and would likely extend on similar terms.

The terms Murphy is on has been hugely exaggerated. He's currently on wages comparable to Dale and would likely extend on similar terms.
Nonetheless, and I don’t know any better and won’t argue about it, I feel that when you look over what’s been given to him over the two years vs what’s been returned, the club has every right to be guarded in their negotiation and there should be a degree of acceptance from Murphy’s camp.

But if the board are going to continue with Des then back him and allow him to keep his men. That’s the right thing to do now. But do it in a way that if it ends in tears we aren’t knee deep in daft contracts thats all. And that isn’t exclusive to Murphy, he’s just the poster boy.

I thought the Harris goal today spoke a lot about how others are beginning to tune into Murphy's wavelength. We've seen numerous times where Murphy has pretty much put it on a plate but Harris or others have been half a yard off the pace. Today, it felt like Murphy took a little pace off the ball and Harris gambled early, and got a tap in. Repeat that and Harris will score a shitload.

I also think that a fully fit Goodwin would love playing in a side with Murphy and Dale as he can poach but is also much better in the air. And Goodrham will be preferred in the no.10 role over Rodrigues which will also give options with the ball being pulled back.

View attachment 18656
And this away,
View attachment 18658

* I've included Matete simply because he apparently fitted in well within the club and if able to recover from his injury and get a full pre-season then he'd be a good addition.

So next season go with virtually the same midfield, same wingers and same strikers as this season? Where do you think we need to strengthen then because that crop of players are currently playing for a team in 7th.

I think we need upgrades in so many areas. Brannagan and possibly Murphy would very likely start after a summer transfer window but I really wouldn’t guarantee any of the rest as being starters. I’m not too sure we are going to recognise this squad once it’s been ripped up in the summer.

View attachment 18656
And this away,
View attachment 18658

I don’t foresee TG being here come Sept 1st. Murphy I certainly do, though.

So next season go with virtually the same midfield, same wingers and same strikers as this season? Where do you think we need to strengthen then because that crop of players are currently playing for a team in 7th.

I think we need upgrades in so many areas. Brannagan and possibly Murphy would very likely start after a summer transfer window but I really wouldn’t guarantee any of the rest as being starters. I’m not too sure we are going to recognise this squad once it’s been ripped up in the summer.
We need a rebuild of our defence, a goalkeeper and a CM.

In fairness, I don’t think you’ll do much better than the version of Murphy we have right now. It becomes about how you get the best out of him and playing a Bodin-type next to him will do him no good. Matete in prospect was exactly what you need. You just need to relieve Murphy of too much defensive work (not all) and let him focus on winning us the game. He needs to feel like losing the ball isn’t major as he has a mate behind him who will clean up.

Dale is workhorse. Different type of player. Better engine and wants to put the mileage in. But the support behind him needs addressing.

There’s a smattering of excellent individuals - i quite like Brannagan dictating play from deep but he can’t be the last line of defence so Rodrigues (if he can fully adapt) plus a really disruptive player in front that stops attacks earlier might be the key piece for us in the summer.

Then there’s the right back and perhaps a centre back. We really lack dominance and athleticism back there. Goodwin might be the answer up top but we need someone who we know will be fit with Harris.

Christ, take a breath sometimes!

Of the two formations shown, I've referenced 6 players that will be contracted for next season, 1 out of contract who is looking our best player, and a loanee who was incredible in previous promotion winning teams when fit, and the mythical defensive midfielder!

Hardly controversial.

But of course we'll also replace and strengthen throughout the squad, and I would expect to see a couple of extra wingers, a couple of midfielders and probably another striker.

And if we get players in who are better than Murphy, Dale, Harris, Goodwin and Tyler then we can consider ourselves as promotion favourites.

Christ, take a breath sometimes!

Of the two formations shown, I've referenced 6 players that will be contracted for next season, 1 out of contract who is looking our best player, and a loanee who was incredible in previous promotion winning teams when fit, and the mythical defensive midfielder!

Hardly controversial.

But of course we'll also replace and strengthen throughout the squad, and I would expect to see a couple of extra wingers, a couple of midfielders and probably another striker.

And if we get players in who are better than Murphy, Dale, Harris, Goodwin and Tyler then we can consider ourselves as promotion favourites.
I’d personally tie Bodin and Henry down to new deals as well…

Possibly controvertially I'm not that bothered by this, think we struggle to fit him in with how Des plays and think his output when not scoring screamers is below par
His biggest problem is he hasn’t nailed down a position. Robinson couldn’t find it and Manning also moved him around. Just when you think he’s cracked it he has an ineffective game shortly after where he looks lost. Cracking potential but if a championship club wants to take a swing at that then I’m with you, let’s have the money to reinvest in positions where we really need it.

Or perhaps sell to the premier league and loan back?

I don’t foresee TG being here come Sept 1st. Murphy I certainly do, though.

You may well be right, he is extremely ambitious and is on the radar of several teams. But the money we would get for him would enable us to strengthen in several positions.

Possibly controvertially I'm not that bothered by this, think we struggle to fit him in with how Des plays and think his output when not scoring screamers is below par

I think it’s a reasonable opinion. He naturally likes to cut in and we are actually playing with more width and Dale/Murphy have been beating the full backs on their outside more frequently.

I don’t foresee him playing in the ‘ten’ long term, so he may move on and we might sign someone else that perhaps fits our Des ball system more readily.

£1,000,000 plus add ons would be my expectation of the deal for TG.

Agree re Murphy, today was probably peak Murphy and if he replicates that next season on a consistent basis then he’s a shoe in starter. With a stronger squad next season I think we’d see Dale as more a solid squad player. The likes of Bodin I’d keep too but very much to bolster the squad rather than a starter. For me, it’s a keeper, two right backs, possibly an upgrade on Bennett if Des is still manager and continues to not fancy Leigh. Definitely another centre back. A defensive midfielder with some real presence, that lad Lawal looked good for them today early on but then faded. I’d add a bit more up top too, not sure Harris, Goodwin and a returning O’Donkor are going to scare the living daylights out of defences.

Agree re Murphy, today was probably peak Murphy and if he replicates that next season on a consistent basis then he’s a shoe in starter. With a stronger squad next season I think we’d see Dale as more a solid squad player. The likes of Bodin I’d keep too but very much to bolster the squad rather than a starter. For me, it’s a keeper, two right backs, possibly an upgrade on Bennett if Des is still manager and continues to not fancy Leigh. Definitely another centre back. A defensive midfielder with some real presence, that lad Lawal looked good for them today early on but then faded. I’d add a bit more up top too, not sure Harris, Goodwin and a returning O’Donkor are going to scare the living daylights out of defences.
Dale as a squad player and you’d keep Bodin?!

I think it’s a reasonable opinion. He naturally likes to cut in and we are actually playing with more width and Dale/Murphy have been beating the full backs on their outside more frequently.

I don’t foresee him playing in the ‘ten’ long term, so he may move on and we might sign someone else that perhaps fits our Des ball system more readily.

£1,000,000 plus add ons would be my expectation of the deal for TG.
Yeah, hopefully we reinvest in another winger in the Dale mould.

Any ideas who is fishing around TG?

Back
Top Bottom