Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Agree re Murphy, today was probably peak Murphy and if he replicates that next season on a consistent basis then he’s a shoe in starter. With a stronger squad next season I think we’d see Dale as more a solid squad player. The likes of Bodin I’d keep too but very much to bolster the squad rather than a starter. For me, it’s a keeper, two right backs, possibly an upgrade on Bennett if Des is still manager and continues to not fancy Leigh. Definitely another centre back. A defensive midfielder with some real presence, that lad Lawal looked good for them today early on but then faded. I’d add a bit more up top too, not sure Harris, Goodwin and a returning O’Donkor are going to scare the living daylights out of defences.

Keeper, 2 right backs, left back, central defender, defensive midfielder, striker, and you've already said that our midfield isn't good enough and we need to upgrade our wingers?

So 12/13 new signings? And presumably, all established league one ready players without any injuries etc etc? And maybe also paying Des off and bringing another Championship level manager on a long term contract?

That'll go a long way to sorting out any financial concerns!!

Yeah, hopefully we reinvest in another winger in the Dale mould.

Any ideas who is fishing around TG?

Coventry, Stoke and Blackburn were clubs I'd heard have been watching him, but I'm sure there are several others including PL teams.

Keeper, 2 right backs, left back, central defender, defensive midfielder, striker, and you've already said that our midfield isn't good enough and we need to upgrade our wingers?

So 12/13 new signings? And presumably, all established league one ready players without any injuries etc etc? And maybe also paying Des off and bringing another Championship level manager on a long term contract?

I didn’t say we have to upgrade our wingers, unless Browne or Edwards don’t recover. Definitely a keeper, if not two. Definitely two right backs, we will only have Long and let’s be honest he isn’t good enough. A left back as we only have one contracted for next season and Leigh doesn’t fit Des’s way apparently. Brown an option at left back but he’s had a rough season. 100% a defensive midfielder, unless you think McEacheran is the answer? Smyth, you can only assume, isn’t part of the plans going forward. So, two midfielders, maybe three if McGuane, another one out of favour, goes. I think another striker or do you think Harris, Goodwin and O’Donkor are enough? Most other teams up there this year have four, we currently have two and one on loan. Feel free to disagree but I’d love to know where!

Dale as a squad player and you’d keep Bodin?!

Dale has looked decent, not sensational. This is a player who hasn’t flourished at either Portsmouth or Blackpool in L1, so yes I think he will ultimately be a valuable squad player. He isn’t getting in ahead of a fit and firing Murphy, Browne or Edward’s that’s for sure. Bodin, yes I’d keep for a year - he’s gets goals. We hardly have free scoring squad players! McEachran has 1 goal in 300 games.

2x keepers
Rb
R/ch. Exchange Findlay + for Mayo
L/ch mcginty s casualty tonight
2 cm
1 striker

Offload
Keeper
All loans
Findlay
Seddon
Thorniley
Mceachran
Bodin
Henry

Last edited:
Bennett not amongst offloaded
No but he’s only here until end of season. I’m counting him as a signing if he is to be the competition for Leigh. Having said that, I’m unconvinced Leigh will stay to play second fiddle to someone. Think we could well see him leave, so maybe even two left backs.

Absolutely excellent again today, particularly impressive was his composure to hold onto the ball waiting for Bennett for our third. If we're backing Des then we need to do it properly and that likely means getting Murphy signed up. No point doing neither like we did last January when we didn't sack Robinson not back him.
100%

I thought the Harris goal today spoke a lot about how others are beginning to tune into Murphy's wavelength. We've seen numerous times where Murphy has pretty much put it on a plate but Harris or others have been half a yard off the pace. Today, it felt like Murphy took a little pace off the ball and Harris gambled early, and got a tap in. Repeat that and Harris will score a shitload.

I also think that a fully fit Goodwin would love playing in a side with Murphy and Dale as he can poach but is also much better in the air. And Goodrham will be preferred in the no.10 role over Rodrigues which will also give options with the ball being pulled back.

Very basic I know, but next season I'd like to see a set up like this at home,
View attachment 18656
And this away,
View attachment 18658

* I've included Matete simply because he apparently fitted in well within the club and if able to recover from his injury and get a full pre-season then he'd be a good addition.
Maybe a controversial view but @Scotchegg for assistant manager?

PL? Seriously, where have you heard that! And ‘several’ I see!
On this point Scotch is correct, it’s the reason we tied him down to a new deal, if we don’t go up. He will be the one who’s sold & premier league clubs have been sniffing round him for about 12-18 months.

Last edited:
On this point Scotch is correct, it’s the reason we tied him down to a new deal, if we don’t go up. He will be the one who’s sold & premier league clubs have been sniffing round him for about 12-18 months.

Fair enough. Personally, I will be very surprised if he goes directly from us to a PL side.

Christ, take a breath sometimes!

Of the two formations shown, I've referenced 6 players that will be contracted for next season, 1 out of contract who is looking our best player, and a loanee who was incredible in previous promotion winning teams when fit, and the mythical defensive midfielder!

Hardly controversial.

But of course we'll also replace and strengthen throughout the squad, and I would expect to see a couple of extra wingers, a couple of midfielders and probably another striker.

And if we get players in who are better than Murphy, Dale, Harris, Goodwin and Tyler then we can consider ourselves as promotion favourites.
Also need more dynamic central defenders. Just think Moore and Brown are too ponderous. Can add Long to that too.

I didn’t say we have to upgrade our wingers, unless Browne or Edwards don’t recover. Definitely a keeper, if not two. Definitely two right backs, we will only have Long and let’s be honest he isn’t good enough. A left back as we only have one contracted for next season and Leigh doesn’t fit Des’s way apparently. Brown an option at left back but he’s had a rough season. 100% a defensive midfielder, unless you think McEacheran is the answer? Smyth, you can only assume, isn’t part of the plans going forward. So, two midfielders, maybe three if McGuane, another one out of favour, goes. I think another striker or do you think Harris, Goodwin and O’Donkor are enough? Most other teams up there this year have four, we currently have two and one on loan. Feel free to disagree but I’d love to know where!

It won’t be JMc. He will most likely retire at seasons end. Lung complaint.

To be fair on the midfield, he's already said it is good enough too.

Do we lack depth in midfield ? Matete - who has been a main player in two successive L1 promotions - McEachran, a more than decent pedigree, and Smyth, can't get a game. How many more midfielders do you want ?

He's nothing if not consistent, as he consistently likes to point out.

A few interesting points from yesterday were that I think the particular Des arm round the shoulder has neither been over effusive/pressure building nor indifferent/rigid that has helped Murphy. Plus interesting to hear of TG various academy midfield roles which we put to use yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom