Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Keeper, 2 right backs, left back, central defender, defensive midfielder, striker, and you've already said that our midfield isn't good enough and we need to upgrade our wingers?

So 12/13 new signings? And presumably, all established league one ready players without any injuries etc etc? And maybe also paying Des off and bringing another Championship level manager on a long term contract?

That'll go a long way to sorting out any financial concerns!!
Bodin Henry mcguane Seddon Browne Edwards smythe plus the loanees 4 players also hopefully Long Findlay and mckekran could all be gone that's 14 players so I don't think he's far off.

Dale has looked decent, not sensational. This is a player who hasn’t flourished at either Portsmouth or Blackpool in L1, so yes I think he will ultimately be a valuable squad player. He isn’t getting in ahead of a fit and firing Murphy, Browne or Edward’s that’s for sure. Bodin, yes I’d keep for a year - he’s gets goals. We hardly have free scoring squad players! McEachran has 1 goal in 300 games.
Completely disagree. He’s one of the first names on the team sheet. An excellent signing.

Completely disagree. He’s one of the first names on the team sheet. An excellent signing.
Agreed. He’s still only 25 with 200 or so appearances behind him and it seems he has the potential to deliver. Should also be pointed out how hard he and Murphy have worked defensively.

Browne, for instance, is 26 and still to play 100 games. Kyle Edwards is the same age with only 150 career appearances. The point is that neither can deliver consistently as they don’t stay fit long enough.

Is JM's contract currently up at the end of this season?
Yes. He was on a two year deal. No indication at the time whether there was an option to extend, which has generally been the standard - but things were all over the place 2 summers ago so anything could have happened.

Yes. He was on a two year deal. No indication at the time whether there was an option to extend, which has generally been the standard - but things were all over the place 2 summers ago so anything could have happened.
On current form you'd imagine we must be having conversations with him. I really hope he's not just "playing for a contract" he's been our best player lately (imo)

Can you imagine being able to play football like that and deliberately not doing so?

We have no idea what happened with Josh Murphy-he may have been in a bad place- the club certainly was, Manning didn't pick him when he was available and obviously didn't like the look of him. He's now fit, Buckingham has picked him regularly and he's clearly the standout player in the team.

i don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

from the Burton message board

"Says it all when some on the popside shouted well done and applauded Josh Murphy as he came over to us having been subbed. Why not, he had a great game and scored. Poor lad didn't know how to react, he appreciated though."

"He tore us a new one today. If he's like that regularly, he'll be back in the Championship next year."

I hope that the fact he is settled after the previous seasons with us and other clubs plays massively in our favour. Because I'm pretty confident that some Championship clubs will be noticing his form and that he appears fit. Playing like he is, he is the sort of player that gets you off your seat.

On current form you'd imagine we must be having conversations with him. I really hope he's not just "playing for a contract" he's been our best player lately (imo)
There was a game not that far back, maybe September, where he got an assist and the team absolutely mobbed him (rather than the scorer). Really smacked of a player who was massively popular within the group but who had been going through a torrid time off the pitch - personal life or mentally, you wouldn’t want to presuppose, but it was significant. They wouldn’t have acted like that for a Prima Donna who was dialling it in.

If that is the case, and a young man has reached a place where he’s happy within himself after a difficult period, it’s far more of a win than anything on the football pitch, and I’m thrilled for him.

But from an OUFC perspective, if he really has found his feet and this is the level we can expect, he absolutely merits a new contract.

Can you imagine being able to play football like that and deliberately not doing so?

We have no idea what happened with Josh Murphy-he may have been in a bad place- the club certainly was, Manning didn't pick him when he was available and obviously didn't like the look of him. He's now fit, Buckingham has picked him regularly and he's clearly the standout player in the team.

I think this is a good point, I can’t understand why someone who is so talented and who seems to enjoy playing wouldn’t bother trying for some reason. He does have to be fully fit though to play that way.

Deliberately not doing so is harsh, imagine knowing you can play like that and not being able to for whatever reason - would be massively frustrating. Either way we are now seeing what a fit and more importantly confident Josh Murphy can do - after the past 3 or 4 yrs being a struggle for whatever reason hopefully he can continue to demonstrate his ability.

Last edited:
I think this is a good point, I can’t understand why someone who is so talented and who seems to enjoy playing wouldn’t bother trying for some reason. He does have to be fully fit though to play that way.
Totally agree he has to trust his body and accept he will get fouled. He now appears to know exactly what he is trying to do, before he didn't have that clarity of thought or belief. He is certainly better than League 1 in this form. It is so rare to see opposition fans clap an opposing player off the pitch, but he was that good today.

Would hope the club are looking at offering him a new deal ASAP. Will be a lot of clubs looking to sign him on given his current form.

You'd like to think that a young man with (presumably, after multiple years of being very well paid) enough money in his pocket - might actually prefer to stay where he appears to be enjoying his football for the first time in years, regardless of any other offers.

If it's true that getting his off-field life settled has been the only real factor in determining his performance (and, more importantly his mental health and quality of life) - then you literally can't put a price on that.

Josh Murphy genuinely seems to be enjoying his football (and judging by his reaction to others) his team-mates/surroundings also.

I simply can't imagine ripping that all up and starting again for a few quid more elsewhere...

Oh god, this has done my swede in over the last few weeks.
I didn’t think there was anything that he or the gods could do in order for us to offer another contract.
But he’s on another bloody level isn’t he. Bloody Gobbo was absolutely right. A marvellous player. If he’s motivated, the fitness bods think he’s sound and he feels he owes Oufc a season or two then let’s do it.

Back
Top Bottom