Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

If I was tarting myself to the division above I would do a long puff piece interview about how good I am when i am in form (and I'm in form btw)

Just look at Shandon Baptiste. He's now 26 and so should be peaking but he's a relatively unknown but well remunerated non playing footballer. How will he look back on his career achievements?

I bet he wishes he's had more moments like that goal against West Ham

Was speaking to a Brentford fan last night who told me that the best thing OUFC ever did was take their money for Baptiste and Fosu.

Murphy may be offered a new contract.

We may think that all those fans chanting his name now we will make him feel welcome and wanted.

However these are the same fans that were chanting “What a waste of money” last season

He will go where he can get the best deal for him and his family, a footballers life is a short one (playing wise) and fans are so fickle

To be fair, at one point in time he did look like an enormous waste of money. I don't think it's ever helpful to sing it at the player, but I can understand why people thought it. There was a lot of frustration boiling over back then due to the incompetence of Robinson and the senior management. At that point in time, Murphy was the poster boy of their mismanagement. I still don't think that justifies the chants aimed at Murphy, but I daresay it would've been a lot worse at other clubs.

Buckingham deserves a lot of credit for how he's handled Murphy, but nobody deserves more credit than Murphy himself for how he's turned things around. We have spent the last 20 months paying wages fit for the best winger in the league and now he's delivering on it, and really, looks every bit capable of going up and delivering a similar output in The Championship.

Only Murphy will know what decision to take next. Sounds like we've made our offer, and for as good as Murphy has been recently, I hope we've been sensible with it. I just hope we know either way as soon as possible, so that Waldron can get on with replacements if necessary.

Anyone who has seen Murphy play recently would be amazed if clubs higher up the food chain weren't interested - and of course they can offer more money than we can. But (and it may be wishful thinking!) he has been there and done that - he signed for Cardiff for £11m and by all accounts didn't really cope with the pressure that situation put him under very well. Would he want to be put under the same pressure again? He seems happier, more confident, more settled - would he risk that again?

According to the article some interesting teams were watching Murphy on Saturday
'Scouts from Southampton, West Brom, QPR, Sunderland and Hull along with Minnesota were present at the Kassam Stadium, with the 29-year-old out of contract at the end of the season.'
'But unless Oxford win promotion to the Championship, they are braced for talisman Murphy to move on in the summer.'

Fantastic to see a player who was being boo'd by his own fans not long ago, getting a standing ovation around the entire ground today.

Whatever happens with him for the remainder of this season, or whether he gets another contract, it's just great on a human level to see a guy who has openly spoken about his mental health struggles get such validation.
Just picking through the thread and saw this - as far as I can remember, it was fairly low level booing. In spite of a disappointing season and a half effectively, most people wanted him to come good and from Christmas onwards we saw initial glimpses that indicated there was a still a real player in there.

All credit to Des, he saw that more than most and was obviously constantly encouraging him. I remember when his first goal went it and you could see how popular it was with the other players but also how much it meant to him.

Personally, while I've often taken against players (like most of us, sometimes for no logical reason!), I've never booed a player. Booed the team and manager for performances, yes and occasionally bellowed my frustration at a mistake or poor judgements, but never booed.

Interestingly enough, when we played at Portsmouth, Saydee was actually lightly booed by some factions when he came on and then inevitably scored what was his first goal for the team!

Ooh, baby, do you know what he's worth?
Ooh, Josh Murphy is the best on Earth
They say in Heaven, the U's comes first
Swindon Town are the f*****g worst
Oooh Josh Murphy is the best on Earth

New Era certainly passing his details around as becoming available. It’s not going to be an easy deal for us to do.

It's also not one that we should feel unduly angry about if we can't get it done.....

We would have been nuts to even consider extending him before late February/early March given how the previous eighteen months had gone. It seems like we have put a deal in front of him now (which no other English club can do yet, legally at least.....though Minnesota could)

If he decides to back himself and wait, and if this two month blinding purple patch attracts an offer from a big Championship club that we can't compete with financially......well, there's not a lot we can do about that.

A little one I came up with 🤣🤣🤣
🎶 Murphy's on fire your defence is terrified
Murphy's on fire your defence is terrified
Na na na na na na 🎶

Or something really easy.
🎶 There's only one josh Murphy one josh Murphy walking along singing a song walking in a Murphy wonderland 🎶

Or 🎶 when Murphy goes running down the wing la la when Murphy goes running down the wing la la la when Murphy goes running down the wing the East stand fans stand up and sing we all know that Ruben going to score 🎶

I'll shut the door on my way out

A little one I came up with 🤣🤣🤣
🎶 Murphy's on fire your defence is terrified
Murphy's on fire your defence is terrified
Na na na na na na 🎶

Or something really easy.
🎶 There's only one josh Murphy one josh Murphy walking along singing a song walking in a Murphy wonderland 🎶

Or 🎶 when Murphy goes running down the wing la la when Murphy goes running down the wing la la la when Murphy goes running down the wing the East stand fans stand up and sing we all know that Ruben going to score 🎶

I'll shut the door on my way out
Can I have the key?

I saw my mate
The other day
He says he's found
The new Pele
So I said
Who is he?
He goes by the name of
Josh Murphy

To the tune of Tom Hark
Wayne Rooney version:

Anyone who has seen Murphy play recently would be amazed if clubs higher up the food chain weren't interested - and of course they can offer more money than we can. But (and it may be wishful thinking!) he has been there and done that - he signed for Cardiff for £11m and by all accounts didn't really cope with the pressure that situation put him under very well. Would he want to be put under the same pressure again? He seems happier, more confident, more settled - would he risk that again?
I posted about this higher up the thread, but in a word, yes. It’s not a slight on him, his agent, Oxford United, anyone to acknowledge this. He’s not a kid. He doesn’t need to think about where going next is best for building his career - most of it is behind him and he has one final big payday to bag. What’s best for him will be maximising his income while he is in a position to do so.

Given his pedigree and the form he’s showing now, any mid level (and above) Championship club would be silly not to take a punt on him, on a free, in the summer. He’s arguably showing premier league quality at the moment. They’ll be able to offer far more than we can (or, realistically, should) offer. It’s the way of the world.

I’m just glad we’re getting to enjoy him while we can, and witnessing him propel a side that looked to be slipping into a nothing season into making something of it. Let’s just appreciate it for what it is, and wish him well in the summer with good grace.

Back
Top Bottom