Away Match Day Thread 29/03/24 - L1: Shrewsbury v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nope but players bar Murphy were performing better under Manning.

We will never know what business he would have done in January but I'm pretty certain we would have atleast ended up in the play offs.
Itโ€™s me being repetitive now, but the loss of Beadle has been massive. With him weโ€™d comfortably be in the playoffs, even though Des has been totally unimpressive

So whatโ€™s happened with Stevens & McGuane? Are they injured?

I felt McGuane needed to be rested along with Rodrigues a number of games ago, but for McGuane and Stevens to not even make the bench is odd.

Fascinating given their appointments were within about a week of each other, we paid ยฃ1m for ours and then outspent them comprehensively in January and yet our guy needs a pre season before we really see what he does. Sure thing.

A 12 point head start over Lincoln completely wiped out.

And interestingly Skubala didn't even start that well, but ground out a few results until he had the chance to make modest recruitment in January to suit what he wanted to do.

And then they flew.

Oh, and he even 'made do' with a couple of Assistants who were already at the club - so that's another nonsense excuse completely smashed out of the f**king park.

That was f*****g lame.

My public face would have told reporters how disappointed I was with the performance. Lacked purpose, energy and intensity for a team who have had a two week break. Decision making very poor and Mondays team will look different.

In my dressing room I would have probably lost my s**t, smashed a few water bottles and first aid kits and told them that some of you are getting a rest and I will speak to you separately later regarding why.

My thoughts for the training ground areโ€ฆ.
1. Discussion with Sam Long and the medical team to schedule in full physical and mental Assesment. Iโ€™m not confident he should be playing L1 football tbh.

2. Punishment for simulating. Itโ€™s embarrassing.

3. Strict plan to deploy Cam Bran further forward.

4. Following analysis, show squad and individuals our shocking press. Show footage of how a good press works. Coach on topic.

5. Following analysis show squad and individuals how damaging our deep drop is.

6. Analyse and coach 1vs1 where appropriate how to defend and what areas of the pitch we want to push the opposition in to. This was shocking!

7. Devise sessions without the ball. Small, medium and large exercises. We are f*****g pathetic thru the lines.

8. Devise sessions on paying thru lines quickly and positively. Punishments for needless sideways passes.

We will never know what business he would have done in January but I'm pretty certain we would have atleast ended up in the play

We will never know what business he would of done in January but I'm pretty certain we would of atleast ended up in the play offs.
You may well be right. Itโ€™s staggering that on paper we are still in with a shout

I felt McGuane needed to be rested along with Rodrigues a number of games ago, but for McGuane and Stevens to not even make the bench is odd.
Think they both have been dropped from the entire squad since the Bolton game in which they were shocking !

Last edited:
So you want us to pay off Des who still has 3 years left on his contract to then get a championship manager in who will come at a high cost and then add in another transfer of high activity all while our owners are wanting to build us a new stadium at a cost of over ยฃ100million, oh and all this on top of covering the 6 million pound losses?

You could make the argument that 3 years of Des' salary, plus the salary of his replacement, would actually be lost in the noise compared to the money we're already losing.

And you could also make the argument that getting this summer (when we have a lot of pricey contracts coming off the books, but a lot of big decisions to make about the future shape of this squad) right is absolutely crucial; that the cost of getting it wrong is more than the cost of Des' payoff. And that, based on what we've seen so far, it would actually be more of a financial risk to give him the chequebook than to pay him off and appoint someone with a track record at League One level.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want to be the one going to my paymasters to make those arguments if I had hired Des back in November!!

I have a feeling mcguane won't play for the club again.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised by this. They're so incredibly thin skinned that any criticism, no matter how justified, will likely be blocked out. Not saying this is the case but the idea of it isn't something to be celebrated or brushed off, constructive criticism should always be taken on board.

For what it's worth I think @Swaby39 is one of the best posters on here, makes clear points and generally responds respectfully even when disagreeing. He's been consistent in his views and personally think it's hard to argue with a lot of it. It's only just over a year ago when plenty of people were having a pop at posters making well thought out posts criticising Robinson, I'd hope we'd have learned from that. At times the same point will be repeated, especially when the same mistakes are repeated on the pitch. As long as it's done respectfully I don't see the issue.
Appreciate it thank you.

I reckon LM would of got this club a top Six finish.

What he squeezed out of the squad he had available to him, was remarkable. If he didnโ€™t go to Bristol City, Iโ€™m confident he would of recruited well in January, and filled a couple more weak spots we have in the squad.

Would we have gone upโ€ฆ. Probably not, but he would have done better with the tools Des has.
So what? Heโ€™s not coming back and we wouldnโ€™t have him back. We need to move on.

So what? Heโ€™s not coming back and we wouldnโ€™t have him back. We need to move on.

It's massively relevant to any discussion of the current squad, it's potential, and also any relative understanding of what the current manager could or should be achieving.

Increasingly bizarre how so many consistently want to pretend Liam Manning never happened.

It's massively relevant to any discussion of the current squad, it's potential, and also any relative understanding of what the current manager could or should be achieving.

Increasingly bizarre how so many consistently want to pretend Liam Manning never happened.

They want to pretend he never happened because of how well he did compared to what weโ€™ve been served up in the last 24 league games.

That is all.

DB postmatch interview seems a bit des ja vu
Not listened to DB interviews for 2 months now when I did it that was boring aswell like the football if he's in charge next season then that's my season ticket gone

Buckingham OUT! Useless manager!!

Buckingham?

How about the players that have been on lucrative, multi year contracts and whoโ€™ve failed every year??

Eastwood
Long
Brannagan
Brown
Browne
Bodin
Murphy

Blame the manager as much as you like, but there is a culture shift needed in this group and I for one am here for it.

In the summer, CB has 12 months left. If somebody offers a reasonable 6 figure price Iโ€™d be taking it and making him the first of a number of senior changes at playing level.

Buckingham?

How about the players that have been on lucrative, multi year contracts and whoโ€™ve failed every year??

Eastwood
Long
Brannagan
Brown
Browne
Bodin
Murphy

Blame the manager as much as you like, but there is a culture shift needed in this group and I for one am here for it.

In the summer, CB has 12 months left. If somebody offers a reasonable 6 figure price Iโ€™d be taking it and making him the first of a number of senior changes at playing level.

Eastwood didnโ€™t play today. Has he even played a league game under Des?

Des picked Long over Stevens.

Brannagan is a quality midfielder.

Des picked Brown over Negru or Thorniley.

Browne? Not sure heโ€™s been to blame for the last 24 games.

Bodin. Des selected him over numerous others.

Murphy. Probably our best performer under Des.

Unsure what your point is?

How can you be so vocally against KR yet DB gets a free passage for 24 games of shite.

Back
Top Bottom