Home Match Day Thread 30/01/2024 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, if as a neutral you'd been asked 'which of these managers played for Stevenage?' It would have been fairly obvious. Ugly.

Obviously you'd also be deeply regretting getting involved in the conversation too.

Pleasantly surprised by that, especially in the second half. Pleased for DB, he needed some sort of result just to take the heat off. Still think we can play at a higher tempo and with more belief but some good signs - Harris very good, Leigh mostly very good, Moore and Brown solid, Burey flashes of real pace and whipped in delivery, thought both Brannagan and McGuane were a bit below their best. A word too for GOD, back to his cameo best but has to do a bit more with those couple of half chances.

All in all, a good point although I do feel Pompey were there for the taking had we started the game with the conviction we finished it.

Yeah, if as a neutral you'd been asked 'which of these managers played for Stevenage?' It would have been fairly obvious. Ugly.

Obviously you'd also be deeply regretting getting involved in the conversation too.
Bit of Wesley at times.

On the whole I'm reasonably happy with a point, and it was good to see a more cohesive performance than in recent matches (especially considering the enforced substitutions). On balance, a draw was a fair result, but at 2-1 down it really did feel like we'd thrown away a great opportunity to pick up three points. I still feel that way to an extent, as I don't think Portsmouth were anything special, in fact I'd say in many ways they were similar to us in terms of style: much more measured (or perhaps ponderous, depending on how you see things) as opposed to the more marauding styles of Derby and Peterborough. On the other hand I can see why they are where they are as they always seem to be 'in' a game and have some very good, experienced players. If I was to put money on it I'd say they will finish on the playoffs. (Side note, found it quite interesting when the Pompey fans sang that we'd seen the 'Champions'. Champions of what, exactly?).

I thought all of the front three had decent games. Leigh looked closer to his best. Brannagan was his usual self and showed great tenacity in winning the ball back prior to our first.

I didn't particularly enjoy some of Mousinho's antics. The Evans-esque drinks breaks were particularly frustrating. He also was mouthing off at the ref when he stopped the play for Stevens (who, it turned out, was injured badly enough to have to go off), which was laughable considering we seemed to have to stop every five minutes for one of their players rolling about on the ground. I expected better from him.

The ref was absolutely rubbish. No booking when one of their players booted the ball away after the whistle, no booking when one of their players cynically pulled Rodrigues' shirt whilst we were on the break. Seven minutes additional time in the first half, five in the second. I'd love to see the potential foul on Goodrham again as well, as that looked a decent shoot from where I was sat.

Final mention goes to Henry. Undeniably well past his best, but he's scored yet another timely and important goal. Hopefully we get to see a few more of those before the season is out.

On to Reading. I really hope (with a couple of reinforcements) we absolutely go at them from the off. Couple of early goals and they will crumble. COYY.

Told you (as long as you ignore Pompeyโ€™s two goals)

Good idea.

They both felt like pretty crap goals anyway. I expect you have to do that sort of thing in India and Papua New Guinea though.

Wellโ€ฆ.ermโ€ฆ..

That was better. Quite enjoyed large parts (but not all) of it.

Shame that the officials were in the limelight again. I mean, DD was as DD is. ๐Ÿ˜ก Poor. But the Lino on the South side was quite the worst Ive seen for a while. I donโ€™t think he saw much of the game at allโ€ฆ ๐Ÿคฌ dreadful.

Woteva. A points a point

The vibe around the game is definitely an odd one. It's the 'what could have been' with this one for me. 2/3 months ago this was a litmus test game, top of the table clash, to really test our Autos credentials.

Now it's hopeful to want a draw. We're not that far off it, points wise, but we are that far off it performance and personnel wise.
And you know what...that actually DID feel like two good teams going at it.

Some great performances, Tyler G, Leigh, Harris all strong for me, a few average ones...but overall a great controlled performance. A real mood lift.

Fair play Des. Have a kip.

Back
Top Bottom