Current Player #42 Steve Seddon

Came across this article if anyone is interested in having a read.

Difference between a full back and a wing back

The standout paragraph for me and its probably quite revealing as i can imagine KR being interested in how Liverpool play.

Liverpool's 2019-20 Premier League-winning team under Jurgen Klopp lined up with a 4-3-3, but full-backs Trent Alexander-Arnold
and Andy Robertson pressed so high that they were effectively wing-backs.
Indeed, Alexander-Arnold and Robertson set up a combined 25 goals for the Reds on their way to the title in that campaign, while
they scored six between them.

The signings of Browne, and Smyth were done ahead of deadline day.

He tried to get Sammie Szmodics in. Another advanced player, but ridiculous at this level.

He then decided to get someone in at all costs, and got Ciaran Brown. That wasn’t our initial target. Brought him in nevertheless to add to the left side of defence. Two times I’ve seen him, and I don’t think he’s what we needed. There would of been better out there we could of attracted, but because he reacted late, it’s all we could get at the eleventh hour.

If KR went after a left sided centre half or Left full back early in January, we’d be in a lot better shape.
Browne and Smith fair enough and Baldock coming in afterwards I can see the logic in that

But even had we kept Thornilley I would still have liked to have seen one more experienced centre half and definitely back up for Seddon

It showed why we needed them on Tuesday and if Mc Nelly and Brown are out we have real problems Saturday

It showed why we needed them on Tuesday and if Mc Nelly and Brown are out we have real problems Saturday
He's bound to be out entertaining somewhere.

A couple of weeks after the transfer window, and instead of strengthening, we are struggling for defensive players to cover two or three absences. It’s unforgivable and the (we’ll get our business done early”) manager must take the blame.
I think Seddon is coming in for undeserved stick; he clearly needs a rest, has been asked to play continually and is provided with little cover in front of him. In a properly balanced squad he’d be given a break.
I can’t see why Brown is being dismissed by some so easily either. He surely can’t be judged fairly yet; give him time before a reasonable assessment. Expecting him to fit seamlessly into a back four after so little time is unreasonable.
Unfortunately we have a manager, for all his commendable passion and enthusiasm, who is stubborn and intransigent. A replacement for Gorrin and a left back were needed; we have neither. Consequently results like that at Accrington will happen.

I've not read the entire thread, so apologies if I repeat anything written by others. Firstly Seddon is a wing back so he will have defensive short comings compared to a fullback.
It's not uncommon for teams to play with one wing back and a fullback, QPR are a good example of this system. I think as supporters have to find a scapegoat, whether it be Seddon, Hanson, Winnall or whoever. He wasn't the reason we lost on Tuesday.

I've not read the entire thread, so apologies if I repeat anything written by others. Firstly Seddon is a wing back so he will have defensive short comings compared to a fullback.
It's not uncommon for teams to play with one wing back and a fullback, QPR are a good example of this system. I think as supporters have to find a scapegoat, whether it be Seddon, Hanson, Winnall or whoever. He wasn't the reason we lost on Tuesday.
I didnt see it but it sounded more like a collective failure?

People need to stop this ‘he’s a wingback’ argument trying to defend Seddon. He’s playing exactly the same position as he did earlier in the season, when his performances were noticeably far, far better than they have been recently. So that doesn’t fly.

Being a wingback doesn’t force you to misplace simple passes. Having Holland in front of you doesn’t force you to balloon crosses out of play. Not having Gorrin in front of you doesn’t mean you can’t put a tackle in. Being more advanced doesn’t mean you let players run past you. The way we play didn’t make him dive into that suicidal tackle from behind, or make weak defensive headers, or fail to track his man.

He’s been in poor form, playing badly, the last few games. That’s just a fact. He’s clearly a good player as he’s been decent for us earlier in the season, but players can dip in and out of form, that’s natural. What isn’t natural is a player being as hopelessly and desperately out of form as Seddon has been, but forced to play constantly and not taken out of the firing line. For his own sake, he needs a break to rebuild his shattered confidence. Problem is, we don’t have another left back in the squad…

(Edit: Oh, and I find it weird and annoying that if you criticise the referee or a player on here after we lose, someone always comes back with the “Thats not why we lost” comment. No, it isn’t - and no-one’s saying it was? It’s just an observation.)

People need to stop this ‘he’s a wingback’ argument trying to defend Seddon. He’s playing exactly the same position as he did earlier in the season, when his performances were noticeably far, far better than they have been recently. So that doesn’t fly.

Being a wingback doesn’t force you to misplace simple passes. Having Holland in front of you doesn’t force you to balloon crosses out of play. Not having Gorrin in front of you doesn’t mean you can’t put a tackle in. Being more advanced doesn’t mean you let players run past you. The way we play didn’t make him dive into that suicidal tackle from behind, or make weak defensive headers, or fail to track his man.

He’s been in poor form, playing badly, the last few games. That’s just a fact. He’s clearly a good player as he’s been decent for us earlier in the season, but players can dip in and out of form, that’s natural. What isn’t natural is a player being as hopelessly and desperately out of form as Seddon has been, but forced to play constantly and not taken out of the firing line. For his own sake, he needs a break to rebuild his shattered confidence. Problem is, we don’t have another left back in the squad…

(Edit: Oh, and I find it weird and annoying that if you criticise the referee or a player on here after we lose, someone always comes back with the “Thats not why we lost” comment. No, it isn’t - and no-one’s saying it was? It’s just an observation.)

Any chance you can provide some evidence to back that fact up rather than saying what you think you saw ?

I`m far from convinced that his performances have dipped that much, you say balloon crosses like its an affliction,
twice in the last 5 games by my count, its frustrating, its stands out when it happens but its far from being a big
issue, simple passes, yea fair enough but thats always been the case.

Anyway, here is a fact for you, in the games v Gillingham and Wigan he made the most tackles on the
pitch ( both teams included ) with 5.

Not the most accurate i guess but decent enough to get a rough idea
Whoscored.com player ratings v Accrington
Sofascore.com Oxford United

The Portsmouth game aside his ratings over the last few games stack up well compared to the rest of the squad.

Oh and he is a wing back, exactly the same as he has been all season, getting caught out of position comes with
the job, its not an excuse its the way we play.

6 assists in 31 appearances doesn't sound like a successful wing back.

It's Sunday night and it's only just occurred to me that Steve Seddon didn't even make the bench yesterday (he didn't last week either, it turns out).

Is he injured, or has KR's annual 'Dumping Of The Seddon' come around earlier this year?

It's Sunday night and it's only just occurred to me that Steve Seddon didn't even make the bench yesterday (he didn't last week either, it turns out).

Is he injured, or has KR's annual 'Dumping Of The Seddon' come around earlier this year?

He and Jodi Jones didn’t take their opportunity v Chelsea u21 so have been dropped for 2 games.. that’s the reasoning from KR.

Missed that. Strange. Seddon didn't take the opportunity last season but he was still allowed to go into this one as our first choice left-sided defender.
Yes it's unbelievable really. So difficult to understand the reasoning behind this.

Surprised he picked out the Chelsea game as reason for punishment. If it was 2 games for every bad performance we wouldn’t see him again before the end of his contract.

The whole Jones debacle is a complete embarrassment on the club. At least Seddon was given a run. Brown has put him to task by playing his 2nd position better than Seddon plays his 1st.

Come January we need to move Seddon on whether it’s a loan or permanent we know he’s not good enough & it’s one of many area’s on the pitch which needs vast improvement, Brown does a decent job whenever he’s plays but he is limited

Surprised he picked out the Chelsea game as reason for punishment. If it was 2 games for every bad performance we wouldn’t see him again before the end of his contract.

The whole Jones debacle is a complete embarrassment on the club. At least Seddon was given a run. Brown has put him to task by playing his 2nd position better than Seddon plays his 1st.
I suspect Seddon may be back tonight
The whole situation is bizarre
Komical Karli wanted Smyth and Jones to go out on loan in the window but pulled the plug at the last possible moment
Putting aside the £thousands the club has wasted on wages for players who have little chance of playing it's unlikely to engender a happy ship
They must hate the manager's guts. I certainly would
Maybe it's Karli's MO to persecute certain players pour encourager les autres

Tha
I suspect Seddon may be back tonight
The whole situation is bizarre
Komical Karli wanted Smyth and Jones to go out on loan in the window but pulled the plug at the last possible moment
Putting aside the £thousands the club has wasted on wages for players who have little chance of playing it's unlikely to engender a happy ship
They must hate the manager's guts. I certainly would
Maybe it's Karli's MO to persecute certain players pour encourager les autres
That's weird, you have previously been strongly pro-Robinson, now you seem to have a different persona. The team spirit seems pretty good from the outside.

Tha

That's weird, you have previously been strongly pro-Robinson, now you seem to have a different persona. The team spirit seems pretty good from the outsi
I have just given up trying to defend the indefensible
No player could possibly go public with their real opinions
At any club to be fair
You usually only hear of the worst excesses players have seen once they retire

I have never heard a player who is still at a club say that the place is a complete shambles, there are cliques, that in-fighting is rife, that there are favourites and outsiders etc. They will *always* say the team is together, focussed on on-pitch matters, supportive of the manager etc.

I am not saying that any of that applies to our team at present, just that you really cannot take the public soundbites from players (or anyone else) at face value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom