Current Player #42 Steve Seddon

Komical Karli
Why do people in arguments like to invent silly names and labels? Always wondered this, it adds nothing to the argument and just comes across as childish to me. "Happy Clappers" is a particularly stupid one that is used around here. It's even worse on the Brexit/Politics threads.

Good use of alliteration in this example though.

Why do people in arguments like to invent silly names and labels? Always wondered this, it adds nothing to the argument and just comes across as childish to me. "Happy Clappers" is a particularly stupid one that is used around here. It's even worse on the Brexit/Politics threads.

Tbh I don't usually like to get personal and I hate much of what happens on social media
I won't do it again
But I have become completely exasperated at recent events which are completely irrational
Players never seem to know where they are at our club
Apparently the first Tyler Goodrahm heard about a possible loan to a National League club (Karl said 'Conference') was when the manager mentioned it in an interview on iFollow

I have never heard a player who is still at a club say that the place is a complete shambles, there are cliques, that in-fighting is rife, that there are favourites and outsiders etc. They will *always* say the team is together, focussed on on-pitch matters, supportive of the manager etc.

I am not saying that any of that applies to our team at present, just that you really cannot take the public soundbites from players (or anyone else) at face value.

You can often tell by the body language of the players especially if you go a goal down if there is unrest in the camp. I‘d say is a bit iffy if we go behind but not too bad otherwise.

I think Robinson does have a tendency to blame individuals for a defeat, sometimes publicly sometimes not, and like all managers he has his favourites, some who appear to be immune from blame and unlikely to be dropped for a poor performance, whereas other players are dropped like a stone.

With his job potentially on the line in the last couple of weeks or so I was interested to see who he left out of the side rather than who he picked. In that situation I don’t think he’s going to select a player who (by his own poor management) is feeling pretty hard done by.

Having said that I reckon Seddon will start tonight, but Jones and Smyth will be on the bench at best.

I think Robinson does have a tendency to blame individuals for a defeat, sometimes publicly sometimes not, and like all managers he has his favourites, some who appear to be immune from blame and unlikely to be dropped for a poor performance, whereas other players are dropped like a stone.
What he does is give the impression of taking responsibility himself, while at the same time undermining individual players. A typical ploy of manipulative man managers.

What he does is give the impression of taking responsibility himself, while at the same time undermining individual players. A typical ploy of manipulative man managers.

Definitely. Whenever he says "I'll protect the players" after a poor performance, he's basically saying they were $hite. So transparent. Phrases like "we all take responsibility" are just textbook guff. IMO he never takes responsibility and never admits he's wrong.

Like him or loathe him, Mourinho was a master of protecting his players at Chelsea. Whenever they played badly or had a pressure game coming up, he would do or say something that deflected all the attention onto him. Often irritating, but nobody was talking about the platers. Masterclass, without hollow "I'll protect the players" statements. Karl's just not that intelligent IMO.

Tbh I don't usually like to get personal and I hate much of what happens on social media
I won't do it again
But I have become completely exasperated at recent events which are completely irrational
Apparently the first Tyler Goodrahm heard about a possible loan to a National League club (Karl said 'Conference') was when the manager mentioned it in an interview on iFollow

Just a couple of things…
The players will know what they need to do to get in the side and if they aren’t getting picked then it is up to the players to work as hard as possible in training to impress the manager.
You mentioned previously about wages but players such as Murphy, Baldock and Jones are on contracts that reflect their past injuries rather than a straight forward contract.
The loans for Jones and Smyth were pulled at the last minute due to us not getting the players we wanted in on loan as their parent club pulled the deals, this isn’t unusual at the end of a transfer window.
I very much doubt Tyler wouldn’t of known the plan for him. His progression and the plan the club will of set out for him to progress would of been discussed when he signed his first contract. It would be naive of any young player just breaking through not to be expected to go out on loan. It’s credit to Tyler that he hasn’t been sent out on loan yet and is seen as part of the managers plans.

As I said on another post, the players have got off very lightly this season so far for under performing. If players want to throw their dummies out rather than knuckling down and proving the manager wrong then they can’t really complain about not making the match day squad.

Just a couple of things…
The players will know what they need to do to get in the side and if they aren’t getting picked then it is up to the players to work as hard as possible in training to impress the manager.
You mentioned previously about wages but players such as Murphy, Baldock and Jones are on contracts that reflect their past injuries rather than a straight forward contract.
The loans for Jones and Smyth were pulled at the last minute due to us not getting the players we wanted in on loan as their parent club pulled the deals, this isn’t unusual at the end of a transfer window.
I very much doubt Tyler wouldn’t of known the plan for him. His progression and the plan the club will of set out for him to progress would of been discussed when he signed his first contract. It would be naive of any young player just breaking through not to be expected to go out on loan. It’s credit to Tyler that he hasn’t been sent out on loan yet and is seen as part of the managers plans.

As I said on another post, the players have got off very lightly this season so far for under performing. If players want to throw their dummies out rather than knuckling down and proving the manager wrong then they can’t really complain about not making the match day squad.
If only it were that simple Steve. I'd certainly like to have a chat at some length with Sean Clare, Dan Agyei, Jodi Jones and Oisin Smyth - I'm sure they would have an interesting perspective on things.

Just a couple of things…

Steve… does Karl have you on commission? He can get things badly wrong you know 🤣

Murphy is our 2nd highest paid player behind Brannagan.

The Jones/Smyth deals shouldn’t have been pulled for the 2 loan players we had agreed. The 2 agreed were a left back and striker. It has 0 relevance.

Well said and good to see some sensible moderation around here.

There's obviously a reason they call you "Strict Ste".

If only it were that simple Steve. I'd certainly like to have a chat at some length with Sean Clare, Dan Agyei, Jodi Jones and Oisin Smyth - I'm sure they would have an interesting perspective on things.
That's a bit one-sided though isn't it, if you want a balanced view you'd need to speak to CamBran, Moore, Taylor, and some of the other 'regulars' as well, no?

Stating “I’ll protect my players” is entirely disingenuous. What it means is: “ It’s really the players’ fault but I’ll say it’s mine.” Totally transparent and a little stupid.

That's a bit one-sided though isn't it, if you want a balanced view you'd need to speak to CamBran, Moore, Taylor, and some of the other 'regulars' as well, no?
I wasn't referring to an opinion on Robinson - I'm sure there are many differing ones within the club; positive, negative and somewhere inbetween - but how players have been treated as regards loans. You can probably add Jack Stephens to that list as well! Needed to make myself a little clearer.

I won't do it again
Welcome to the forum Tyler! 😂

Steve… does Karl have you on commission? He can get things badly wrong you know 🤣

Murphy is our 2nd highest paid player behind Brannagan.

The Jones/Smyth deals shouldn’t have been pulled for the 2 loan players we had agreed. The 2 agreed were a left back and striker. It has 0 relevance.
You’re right, he does get things wrong, quite a few things.

However I look at things from both sides when it comes to players not getting game time.

As for Murphy, he will be very well paid if he stays fit and gets game time, if not then he won’t be so well paid.

You’re right, he does get things wrong, quite a few things.

However I look at things from both sides when it comes to players not getting game time.

As for Murphy, he will be very well paid if he stays fit and gets game time, if not then he won’t be so well paid.

That’s just not true.

He’s our 2nd highest paid player. Brannagan is 1st & only because of his new deal.

Murphy became our highest earner when he signed.

That’s just not true.

He’s our 2nd highest paid player. Brannagan is 1st & only because of his new deal.

Like I said, if he plays games he will be very very well played.

That’s just not true.

That's why the manager always wants to play him the moment he's back on the grass

That’s just not true.

Like I said, if he plays games he will be very very well played.
So, which one of you is correct, as you both seem adamant that you know the detail in the contract regarding whether he has to play or not to earn full salary?

So, which one of you is correct, as you both seem adamant that you know the detail in the contract regarding whether he has to play or not to earn full salary?

He became our biggest earner when signed. It was part of why Cam/B’pool saga played out. Both represented by the same agent. In the end, Cam got the number one earner contract he felt like he deserved. Rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom