Blogs/Podcasts BBC - The Dub: An Oxford Utd Podcast

It *is* frustrating when Brannagan blasts one from distance (the one he actually scored of those 63 was a free kick I think!) and perhaps also when he takes all the corners and perhaps could be better used in that situation as well. I can't help thinking that it is because he himself is frustrated and is trying to make things happen. Hopefully as we get a bit more organised and threatening going forward, he will have more options when he gets the ball and won't be quite so tempted!

I would be interested to know how many of Brannagan's shots outside the box occur after the 75th minute mark.

Not so interested that I'd look it up myself. But interested nonetheless.

I don’t have a problem having pot shots from outside the box from time to time. It’s better than trying to walk the ball in to the net. Shoot from 20 yards no problem, but make the keeper work.

We haven’t got the Manchester City/Liverpool players to score the perfect goal.

The Harris stat is very interesting however, and he’s like a different player atm, and it’s also the best goal return he’s had as a player. If he and Goodwin can form a good partnership up top, with Rodrigues in behind we could be on to something very fruitful.

A couple of very interesting stats today.

Under Manning, Harris had NO touches in the opposition 6 yard box.

Cam has had 63 shots from outside the box this season scoring 1 goal!

A worthwhile listening as usual.
The goal was the free kick against Derby.

Perhaps it’s because we seem to concede so many from distance, but I don’t mind us having shots from distance.
Although 63 is excessive, occasional long shots keep opposing defenders on their toes, and creates space for our forwards.

Last edited:
Also interesting that it was pointed out that Manning curbed Brannagan's tendency to let fly from distance.

Back
Top Bottom