National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Disagree.

If you want to get the economy moving and those less well off the opportunity to find greater work opportunities, you need to look after one of the big drivers.
I don't doubt that at all in normal times, but we are not living in normal times.

We already have an apparent labour shortage with over 1 million unfilled jobs, so arguably opportunities are not the issue. I accept they might not be in the right areas, but surely these are the very jobs you might expect to be targeted at the "less well off"

IF anything I would think many small businesses will have to reduce their overheads in order to survive the eye-watering cost rises they now need to absorb, from energy to transport/supply to material costs. Many will be unable to expand/grow their way out of that problem. They also need markets to sell to and everyone but everyone will be tightening their belts for the forseeable. So I think on balance that job creation is a bit pie in the sky for many at the moment. I don't see any reversal of planned CT rises will change that equation - it's a drop in the ocean!

I would also think that the current trend of more people becoming economically inactive will increase, especially if people don't have to work to live

Zahawi suggesting the way you build trust is by delivering (surely in that case Amazon drivers are the most trustworthy in UK), surely not lying repeatedly and not getting others to lie on your behalf would also help....

No trolling here, been a Conservative voter since `79 give or take.

That doesn`t mean I have voted for them every time and my vote shifts depending on what I`m voting in, be it local, regional or national.

Sometimes I have voted tactically and would do so again. I`ll let you take a guess when I did that. ;)

Labour, specifically under Blair, was the nearest nationally electable version that I could have voted for, and, like most people, I`m somewhere in the middle/right on most things.

On others I am Taliban.

Socio-conservative-Taliban. :)

Zahawi suggesting the way you build trust is by delivering (surely in that case Amazon drivers are the most trustworthy in UK), surely not lying repeatedly and not getting others to lie on your behalf would also help....

"Its in the recycling bin"................... :ROFLMAO:

Seems like this government are taking the Hermes approach to delivery "so what if it's lodged in your gutter, up on your roof and you can't get to it, we still delivered"

1922 elections are this/next weekend aren't they?

Another few days to seal Blojo's fate then.

Caught a bit of Gavin Barwell (still can't believe he's actually a Lord...he must know more dirt about Bozza[emoji23]) and some other Tory on R4 earlier. One of them said that Boris had told one Minister it would take a flamethrower to get him out of No.10.....

#Everyone patiently waits for oil prices to fall so we can afford the petrol.....
He said that, because he knows no one can afford the petrol for the flamethrower !

A little unfair.

The majority of businesses subject to corporation tax are small family owned businesses.
But if they are paying corporation tax they are already surviving as they are making a profit.

You drive business growth by maintaining/increasing demand. The NI cut for under £34,000 pa does this but, and I hate to say this, £34,000 is not a great family income in the expensive south east and those on over £34,00 are paying more! That's on top of huge fuel, energy and, in an increasing number of households, mortgage increases. Help everyone paying basic rate tax and inflation proof (triple lock?) that rate and they might be on to something.

But if they are paying corporation tax they are already surviving as they are making a profit.

You drive business growth by maintaining/increasing demand. The NI cut for under £34,000 pa does this but, and I hate to say this, £34,000 is not a great family income in the expensive south east and those on over £34,00 are paying more! That's on top of huge fuel, energy and, in an increasing number of households, mortgage increases. Help everyone paying basic rate tax and inflation proof (triple lock?) that rate and they might be on to something.

"Levelling up" you see. :)

Take your "Lundun & the Sarf" blinkers off.

If it creates social mobility as a by-product then it becomes another win.

Fair points.

But many of these companies will be making less than £34,000 and also be based in the expensive south east.

I accept that there are also many business owners who are wealthy and earn a lot of money, but back to my original point, it was unfair to say all the big boys may be offered a corporation tax cut when the less well off suffer.

Operating through a limited company should not in itself suggest lots of income and profits.

As SD has also said, any cut is of course a dip in the Ocean and the issues are far wider.

From the BBC Live feed:

Starmer: 'Sinking ship fleeing the rats'​

Starmer says it sums the PM up that he tolerated "awful behaviour, unacceptable in any walk of life".
The Labour leader derides those ministers resigning now after defending so much previously.
It's a case, he says, of the "sinking ship fleeing the rats".

Lovely line from KS.

Also another from him: "Charge of the lightweight brigade"

"Get on and deliver" ................ you`ll be amazed how much that will resonate with folk who gave him the mandate to do so. ;)
He’s delivered the square root of F/A in 2½ years.
It doesn’t bode well if he’s allowed to continue.

Back
Top Bottom