National News Boris Johnson

Don’t disagree it’s poor judgment. Just wondered why everyone still gives a s**t x years later.
It’s because everyone agrees that the PM shouldn’t lie in parliament, yet the processes don’t quite seem to be in place to do anything about it at a quick enough pace.

The parallel with trump is that in a country that almost invented rules based order and apparently built safeguards against insurrection, it has taken years and still nothing actually happened.

It’s like both establishments are based on the premise that no one will actually do anything considered reprehensible.

Don’t disagree it’s poor judgment. Just wondered why everyone still gives a s**t x years later.
It’s back in the News because the enquiry into the misleading Parliament aspect has now finally got underway. Again, this is Boris Johnson who has dragged this out so long.

It’s because everyone agrees that the PM shouldn’t lie in parliament, yet the processes don’t quite seem to be in place to do anything about it at a quick enough pace.

The parallel with trump is that in a country that almost invented rules based order and apparently built safeguards against insurrection, it has taken years and still nothing actually happened.

It’s like both establishments are based on the premise that no one will actually do anything considered reprehensible.

I mean the problem in the US is that the establishments are based on the premise that its officials are decent people who are capable of making rational, independent decisions and debating and reaching compromise with their peers. But that simply isn't true any more, and Trump is only the biggest and loudest example of that.
And it's hard to see how things change unless the US electorate wakes up and starts to put more boring MOR candidates into power (or starts voting for third party candidates once in a while) that are actually capable of independent nuanced thought, rather than continuing to follow the current pattern of electing extremist ****ing lunatics.

As John Adams said, “Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Honestly, by comparison, UK politics is relatively sane. I mean yes, 2022 was utterly absurd, but at least the system worked sufficiently well to eventually oust the lying hypocrite, and very rapidly oust the incompetent nutjob from power - and put the boring technocrat in #10 to at least establish a modicum of sanity whilst we wait for the next election......

I mean the problem in the US is that the establishments are based on the premise that its officials are decent people who are capable of making rational, independent decisions and debating and reaching compromise with their peers. But that simply isn't true any more, and Trump is only the biggest and loudest example of that.
And it's hard to see how things change unless the US electorate wakes up and starts to put more boring MOR candidates into power (or starts voting for third party candidates once in a while) that are actually capable of independent nuanced thought, rather than continuing to follow the current pattern of electing extremist ****ing lunatics.

As John Adams said, “Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Honestly, by comparison, UK politics is relatively sane. I mean yes, 2022 was utterly absurd, but at least the system worked sufficiently well to eventually oust the lying hypocrite, and very rapidly oust the incompetent nutjob from power - and put the boring technocrat in #10 to at least establish a modicum of sanity whilst we wait for the next election......

You've got the Supreme Court making policy for you now though. :(

Per my previous point the whole country is still talking about some folks having a drink in a garden three years later. Really seems a bit over the top. You’re all stuck in the weeds of politics . It isn’t about to change the world

Per my previous point the whole country is still talking about some folks having a drink in a garden three years later. Really seems a bit over the top. You’re all stuck in the weeds of politics . It isn’t about to change the world
We’d all like to move on.
It took 21/2 years to get rid of Johnson.
Johnson would not go easily.
The final 6 months were painful and the arguments around “partygate” were therefore repetitive and prolonged.
The current wave of recriminations is purely a result of the laboured enquiry system.

It really *isn't* about a party in a garden. It is about the Prime Minister of the time repeatedly and cynically (and transparently!) lying to Parliament - which if it isn't nipped in the bud might not change the world, but certainly has the power to change how Britain is ruled and how much trust the British people have in their politicians. There isn't much of that anyway!

Maybe if the US had acted on the repeated lying of its president at the stage where it wasn’t world changing, then the insurrection wouldn’t have happened?

Maybe if the US had acted on the repeated lying of its president at the stage where it wasn’t world changing, then the insurrection wouldn’t have happened?

You think I’m here to defend Trump and American politics ?????

I’m firmly in the same camp as @tonyw on this one sir. 😇

You think I’m here to defend Trump and American politics ?????

I’m firmly in the same camp as @tonyw on this one sir. 😇
Not quite what I was getting at. You were criticising Britain for still harping on about Boris lying. Maybe if Britain doesn’t get on top of the PM lying to parliament then in a few years time we’ll have a demagogue and a Jan 6. That’s what I was trying to get at!

It is important and worth harping on about because the alternative might be a future Mussolini or Goebbels or Bolsonaro.

Not quite what I was getting at. You were criticising Britain for still harping on about Boris lying. Maybe if Britain doesn’t get on top of the PM lying to parliament then in a few years time we’ll have a demagogue and a Jan 6. That’s what I was trying to get at!

It is important and worth harping on about because the alternative might be a future Mussolini or Goebbels or Bolsonaro.
Quite.

What is it they say about those who forget history?

It’s back in the News because the enquiry into the misleading Parliament aspect has now finally got underway. Again, this is Boris Johnson who has dragged this out so long.
Well, he has had to make sure his very expensive lawyers are being paid for by the taxpayer (believe the bill is over quarter of a million so far).

Wonder what Boris' sister thinks of him - she is the only one of the direct family he either hasn't already given an honour to, or has nominated for an honour in his leaving list (to go with the peerage for Mad Nad)

Laws of the internet

Talk long enough and someone mentions the Nazis 😉

The drama is real

A few drinks together after work whilst fighting a very stressful crisis

V

Systematically destroying 12 million humans

Laws of the internet

Talk long enough and someone mentions the Nazis 😉

The drama is real

A few drinks together after work whilst fighting a very stressful crisis

V

Systematically destroying 12 million humans
I think as several have tried to point out, it is not the drinks after work. That's merely the icing on a particularly shitty and deceitful cake that Boris has been baking his entire life, along with plenty of his chums. So no, we should not forget that charlatans like him can and do get into power, based on little more than fortunate circumstance.

And they have no place being there because they are nothing more than narcissistic populist shysters with nothing but self-interest driving their appetite for power. And anything that exposes them as such is fair game and should not be forgotten.

I think as several have tried to point out, it is not the drinks after work. That's merely the icing on a particularly shitty and deceitful cake that Boris has been baking his entire life, along with plenty of his chums. So no, we should not forget that charlatans like him can and do get into power, based on little more than fortunate circumstance.

And they have no place being there because they are nothing more than narcissistic populist shysters with nothing but self-interest driving their appetite for power. And anything that exposes them as such is fair game and should not be forgotten.

I don’t disagree with many of your points. I’m not a fan of his or what happened

I’ll not reiterate previous points that at this stage it’s overtly political and the diminishing value of returns is pretty obvious.

I don’t disagree with many of your points. I’m not a fan of his or what happened

I’ll not reiterate previous points that at this stage it’s overtly political and the diminishing value of returns is pretty obvious.

Plenty of Tory MPs are very concerned about Partygate remaining a major talking point, according to reports and their WhatsApp messages published in the media since the Sue Gray situation started.

Wouldn’t it be nice if both parties focused their time on things like the environment, the nhs , education. That would be real nice

Back
Top Bottom