Come on vale

Agree,the fact that we couldn’t sell our home allocation v MK in a must win game says a lot

Our friends down the A420 averaged just under a thousand more than us

Reading have the advantage of many years in the top two tiers with a very nice stadium and lots of young fans who may have only gone to see the top teams initially but then became fans of the Royals

Maybe on day when we move and are in a higher division we will attract a constant higher support
I'll probably get slated for saying this, but historically over the years since we entered the league.S*****ns attendances have the majority of the time been bigger? Especially 60s 70s maybe even 80s

Just seen on the news Sw*nd*n has just been awarded OFFICIAL shitty status. It's what we always know.

Pre Thames Valley Royals, it was more spicy & dodgy walking down Oxford road to Elms park .Than S*****n on a couple of occasions.
The jolly porters, cherry's wine bar, the boars head.

I wish for Swindon to lose every game they play.

I wish their owners, management, players and supporters to suffer the misery and heartbreak of losing every match especially a match of some importance like last night. To lose on penalties is even better.

The only instance I can see my view changing would be if by the scum winning it would secure us a promotion or avoid a relegation.

I wish for Swindon to lose every game they play.

I wish their owners, management, players and supporters to suffer the misery and heartbreak of losing every match especially a match of some importance like last night. To lose on penalties is even better.

The only instance I can see my view changing would be if by the scum winning it would secure us a promotion or avoid a relegation.
Let's hope we get them in the cup then& hammer them.

I'll never forget a night match, the simod cup .they invaded the pitch tried climbing over the fences, the walk back to the train station was a bit dodgy.so yes Oxford & Reading for me can be spicy.
Also how can I forget the proper double decker buses to Reading with cuddy.Never seen so many people on a bus ever😂

Also how can I forget the proper double decker buses to Reading with cuddy.Never seen so many people on a bus ever😂
How it never rolled over I never know, it was rocking side to side.

Reading FC were fined back in the Elm Park days when their fans were pelted with bits of the crumbling away terrace that Wrexham fans had dislodged. Their legal defence was that it couldn't really be foreseen until the prosecution rather splendidly pointed out that Oxford fans had done exactly the same thing 2 weeks previously. Well done those fans!

Yes that is true, but according to a Swindon fan I know that accounts for around 500 tickets per match.

They have always had slightly larger gates than us historically

Reading is the model we should look at for years they had poor gates at Elm Park. Swindon and Oxford were getting double their gates when we were in the same division.
Then Madjeski happened and took them on a journey and they haven’t looked backed, we were also taken on a journey but in the other direction. With the right investment we could have stayed in the second tier with a completed stadium but that was ruined by a greedy ogre of a man who has put us through 20 years of hell,Even though he is not the owner he still has control of us.
Hopefully our new owners will take us to the promised land
Yes Madjeski did take them on a journey and he did well, but now they’re heavily in debt

Reading has changed so much that they are barely recognizable as the football rival we used to play in the 80s and 90s.
Their crowds are many multiples higher than they used to be in those days (in the early 90s, they were only bringing in ~4k) and I'm sure a decent proportion of their current fanbase jumped on the bandwagon when they started playing in the Premier League and couldn't give a damn about Oxford. After all, it's getting close to twenty years since we last played them.
The rivalry's just been diluted so much that I'm struggling to care about Reading any more.

What's great about the rivalry with the Scum is that, for going on sixty years now, we've been roughly the same-sized clubs and had roughly the same amount of success and failure. Perfect situation for a proper footballing hatred to keep simmering nicely.

There's a bit of regret that we're not going to be playing them next season, because it's always an epic occasion.
But at the same time, those games are a distraction and it's always a pleasure to lord it over them from a higher division.

I'll probably get slated for saying this, but historically over the years since we entered the league.S*****ns attendances have the majority of the time been bigger? Especially 60s 70s maybe even 80s
You are correct you cannot deny the facts, but Swindon is a bit remote and it’s easy for some in Oxford to support clubs in London or Birmingham.
For those who live in the north of our county Brum Villa and Wolves are a big pull. For those in the East any of the London clubs,Swindon are sandwiched between us and Bristol so no big clubs to support.

You are correct you cannot deny the facts, but Swindon is a bit remote and it’s easy for some in Oxford to support clubs in London or Birmingham.
For those who live in the north of our county Brum Villa and Wolves are a big pull. For those in the East any of the London clubs,Swindon are sandwiched between us and Bristol so no big clubs to support.

Do people in Banbury really support Villa and Wolves? Seems odd to me. If anything, if you don't support Oxford and you're from the county you probably support a 'Big Six' team.

Swindon are a longer established League club, entering it in 1921. We're upstarts in comparison. Formed later, not fully professional until 1949 and not elected in the League until 1962 so United's attendances grew in an odd way having to take support away from Oxford City.

Also, Swindon has a population of 185,600, Oxford 152,450 (albeit a more transient population). Wiltshire has 720,060 and is the 34th most populous county. Oxfordshire has 687,524 and is 35th most populated of all the ceremonial counties of England. They pip us on all of those numbers (but rarely on league position nowadays) hence their marginally larger support.

That said, the attendances Oxford and Swindon get has narrowed in recent years. In fact, the last league derby games we could attend in 2016-17, our home attendance (11,042) was bigger than the attendance at the County Ground (10,658). Possibly down to Swindon being s**t at the time and set to be relegated, but selling out the Kass whilst they has 5,000 unsold seats is pretty good going. The historical average attendance across all fixtures between the sides is 9,446 for games in Oxford and 10,736 for games in Swindon - a difference of 1,290. Bearing in mind the Manor was at times limited by its capacity and the Kassam Stadium certainly is, it's not a surprise they have more in attendance. Their ground is bigger. Unpopular to say but our attendances now at the three-standed dump are better than they were at The Manor.

Essentially, we're two fairly matched teams in terms of metropolitan area size and county size. We're the only professional/League club in each other's county and each have one major honour to our name each. Fleeting appearances in the top flight too. They may have the advantage of a bigger stadium and marginally bigger population to appeal to but recent years have shown the gap to narrow. Oxford have been on top since 2016 in terms of league position and we hope to keep it that way!

Do people in Banbury really support Villa and Wolves? Seems odd to me. If anything, if you don't support Oxford and you're from the county you probably support a 'Big Six' team.

Swindon are a longer established League club, entering it in 1921. We're upstarts in comparison. Formed later, not fully professional until 1949 and not elected in the League until 1962 so United's attendances grew in an odd way having to take support away from Oxford City.

Also, Swindon has a population of 185,600, Oxford 152,450 (albeit a more transient population). Wiltshire has 720,060 and is the 34th most populous county. Oxfordshire has 687,524 and is 35th most populated of all the ceremonial counties of England. They pip us on all of those numbers (but rarely on league position nowadays) hence their marginally larger support.

That said, the attendances Oxford and Swindon get has narrowed in recent years. In fact, the last league derby games we could attend in 2016-17, our home attendance (11,042) was bigger than the attendance at the County Ground (10,658). Possibly down to Swindon being s**t at the time and set to be relegated, but selling out the Kass whilst they has 5,000 unsold seats is pretty good going. The historical average attendance across all fixtures between the sides is 9,446 for games in Oxford and 10,736 for games in Swindon - a difference of 1,290. Bearing in mind the Manor was at times limited by its capacity and the Kassam Stadium certainly is, it's not a surprise they have more in attendance. Their ground is bigger. Unpopular to say but our attendances now at the three-standed dump are better than they were at The Manor.

Essentially, we're two fairly matched teams in terms of metropolitan area size and county size. We're the only professional/League club in each other's county and each have one major honour to our name each. Fleeting appearances in the top flight too. They may have the advantage of a bigger stadium and marginally bigger population to appeal to but recent years have shown the gap to narrow. Oxford have been on top since 2016 in terms of league position and we hope to keep it that way!

Oxford's population you quoted, doesn't include Kidlington, Yarnton, Botley, Cumnor, Kennington, Sandford on Thames, Horspath nd Wheatley. Add in the 10k homes being planned on the outskirts of Oxford and there is no reason why we won't average the same as reading in a new ground.

Great fact finding
Re supporting of Villa and Wolves I am going back several years , also many were WBA and Brum fans big teams in the 70’s
We were small fry then, but don’t forget those blokes back then have sons and daughters who follow the same team as their Dad and on it goes.
Nowadays there are too many Man U Liverpool Nan City Chelsea etc fans who I bet have never been to a live match. Those are the fans we need to get along

Great fact finding
Re supporting of Villa and Wolves I am going back several years , also many were WBA and Brum fans big teams in the 70’s
We were small fry then, but don’t forget those blokes back then have sons and daughters who follow the same team as their Dad and on it goes.
Nowadays there are too many Man U Liverpool Nan City Chelsea etc fans who I bet have never been to a live match. Those are the fans we need to get along

Do Nan City fans knit their own scarves?

Back
Top Bottom