General Commercial and Marketing

Will this season be a 1st where we never wear our actual away kit?

Even Jerome expected us to wear the AC Milan kit tonight but we have opted for the blue again.
I dont want to see THAT kit again after this afternoons display ( and result)

Has the Charlton game been postponed?

I'd have thought tickets details would have been made available last week, considering the game is 3 weeks away.

Arrived early to enjoy the "Christmas extravaganza" - blinked and missed it.
Festive food = Spanish Churros. John Lewis gifts = small display of cosmetics. Went to club shop to get our scum supporting postie a Xmas card (I know, cruel!) but, no cards, "still waiting for them to arrive"
We did buy 2 badges from Sue's stand, chatted about the decision to stop them selling club merchandise. They have been told, apparently, to sell existing stock on ebay!!
There are times when OUFC are just embarrassing themselves.

Arrived early to enjoy the "Christmas extravaganza" - blinked and missed it.
Festive food = Spanish Churros. John Lewis gifts = small display of cosmetics. Went to club shop to get our scum supporting postie a Xmas card (I know, cruel!) but, no cards, "still waiting for them to arrive"
We did buy 2 badges from Sue's stand, chatted about the decision to stop them selling club merchandise. They have been told, apparently, to sell existing stock on ebay!!
There are times when OUFC are just embarrassing themselves.
What was the Christmas market like in the quadrangle?

Looking to the future, the club is in dire need of professional help in the hospitality and marketing areas. The new stadium must be up to scratch.

As above, almost nothing to see. As an "extravaganza" it was truly a non starter. I feel sorry for any kids coming to see Christmas at the club. As said, embarrassing.
Might be lots of things to criticise but this was not one of them. If it was German Christmas market you were expecting then fair enough but they did make the effort and if you had been with children I can tell you they were more than happy with the effort, reindeers, xmas carols, sixes cricket. What did others do? In this instance (not always) the club deserve a break

Might be lots of things to criticise but this was not one of them. If it was German Christmas market you were expecting then fair enough but they did make the effort and if you had been with children I can tell you they were more than happy with the effort, reindeers, xmas carols, sixes cricket. What did others do? In this instance (not always) the club deserve a break
I've been to many genuine Christmas markets in Germany and that was not what I was expecting, nor should it be. I had expected a little more of an "extravaganza" as heralded by the club. I had expected some "festive food" that doesn't exclude "Spanish Churros" but should not be the only offering. The reindeer were nice and the silver band good but the "John Lewis top gifts" extended to two table tops of cosmetics and chocolates. We donated our Teddy (having eventually locating the wheely bin designated for this purpose) and went for a burger.
The overall impression was not one of a well thought through event. I'm glad that you enjoyed it and pleased that you had children who also enjoyed the experience but, I've got higher expectations. Where was the Gluhwein, the roasted chestnuts, goods from the club shop (having prevented Sue Trafford from selling club merchandise she was left with very little to offer) Where was the effort to engage with the kids, aside from the reindeer? A few tins of Quality Street or similar being handed out to the kids with Olly the Ox on hand? (yes, he was outside having his picture taken with Santa but why not really go all out and give the kids a token to remember the club?)

Maybe I'm just getting old and can recall much better events being organised, maybe younger folk have lesser expectations but, it didn't work for me.

One person with a negative experience doesn't make the whole thing "embarrassing". Plenty of others had very positive experiences, especially the kids. Hundreds had their photos taken with the reindeers, Olly and Santa. The cricket truck was popular pre-game. And the quadrangle saw decent footfall and sales for the likes of John Lewis* and Little Ox Brewery, and supporting charities. There were lots of teddy bears donated for Helen and Douglas House.

There are things to moan about, and I think the issue with the Traffords has been badly managed, but that doesn't mean that everything the club does warrants such negativity. Suggestions and improvements are great, and next year will hopefully we better still.

* John Lewis want to continue to build links with the club which will hopefully give the club access to high profile floor space in the Westgate in which to sell its merchandise. This can only be a good thing and shows that the club is building for the future.

I've been to many genuine Christmas markets in Germany and that was not what I was expecting, nor should it be. I had expected a little more of an "extravaganza" as heralded by the club. I had expected some "festive food" that doesn't exclude "Spanish Churros" but should not be the only offering. The reindeer were nice and the silver band good but the "John Lewis top gifts" extended to two table tops of cosmetics and chocolates. We donated our Teddy (having eventually locating the wheely bin designated for this purpose) and went for a burger.
The overall impression was not one of a well thought through event. I'm glad that you enjoyed it and pleased that you had children who also enjoyed the experience but, I've got higher expectations. Where was the Gluhwein, the roasted chestnuts, goods from the club shop (having prevented Sue Trafford from selling club merchandise she was left with very little to offer) Where was the effort to engage with the kids, aside from the reindeer? A few tins of Quality Street or similar being handed out to the kids with Olly the Ox on hand? (yes, he was outside having his picture taken with Santa but why not really go all out and give the kids a token to remember the club?)

Maybe I'm just getting old and can recall much better events being organised, maybe younger folk have lesser expectations but, it didn't work for me.
Were you expecting John Lewis to be selling iPads and laptops? 😂

Were you expecting John Lewis to be selling iPads and laptops? 😂
Didn't expect them to be selling anything, if I'm honest. Pleased that they see a connection with OUFC but mystified by their selection on display. High end cosmetic products at a football match?

This is the text of the club's news article promoting the event:

The festive fun outside the South Stand will run from 12pm to 2:45pm giving supporters plenty of time to eat, shop and get into the Christmas spirit before the football.

The Exhibition Bar will become a Christmas Market with John Lewis showcasing some of their Top 100 Christmas Gifts for supporters to browse, accompanied by Charlotte Tilbury, and Helen & Douglas House.

You can interpret that in differing ways but, to me, that promises a bit more than what was actually on offer. We arrived with our Teddy donation and the intended prospect of eating some "festive food". Call it anyway you like, Spanish Churros are not festive food - not even in Spain.

Back
Top Bottom