Sport Cricket - Summer 2023

They said on sky sports that the time of year might lessen the dew effect, don't know to what degree though.
There was also some discussion of the idea of letting the umpires change the ball whenever it had got too sodden. I know cricket is (and has always been) a game where the weather can have an effect, but in a one day competition where the conditions are changing so radically at a pretty consistent time every day that's a real problem.

Yes, I think there will be matches out there where the outcomes are determined by changing conditions which may lead to a few surprises.
Also sky put up our fixtures and NZ'S. They have a lot less travelling than us, surely that's an unfair advantage!?

It has been a very odd series of games against NZ, including the T20s. We have had 7 games now, and all 7 have been one-sided pastings. On paper the two sides are really evenly matched so the lack of tight finishes has been surprising.

Doesn't look as though today's game is going to be close either; NZ 126-5 after 26 overs, chasing 312. Southee is very unlikely to bat given that he broke his thumb earlier.

Doesn't look as though today's game is going to be close either; NZ 126-5 after 26 overs, chasing 312. Southee is very unlikely to bat given that he broke his thumb earlier.

It wasn't close. Good innings from Malan. Did have a pre-season feel to it!

Just about to watch Cricket’s Greatest Game on iPlayer. I hear good things.

It will be interesting how much of the current approach is effective in very different Indian conditions, or whether it changes somewhat. I am slightly surprised we haven't gone somewhere a bit more 'subcontinent-ish' to prepare - but all the other teams seem to be playing as well at them moment, so perhaps we couldn't. Playing a slightly undercooked NZ in English conditions might not be the best preparation IMO.

It will be interesting how much of the current approach is effective in very different Indian conditions, or whether it changes somewhat. I am slightly surprised we haven't gone somewhere a bit more 'subcontinent-ish' to prepare - but all the other teams seem to be playing as well at them moment, so perhaps we couldn't. Playing a slightly undercooked NZ in English conditions might not be the best preparation IMO.
Don't worry, we have a couple of games against Ireland still to come, although I think the WC squad will have left so won't be playing. Not sure why we have these games scheduled

Don't worry, we have a couple of games against Ireland still to come, although I think the WC squad will have left so won't be playing. Not sure why we have these games scheduled
£££
To clarify, tickets for the game against Ireland in Bristol start at £45. This seems a lot for a meaningless, (likely) one-sided friendly

Last edited:

Australia playing warm up games in South Africa, and hammered in today’s match. Zappa went for 110 in 10 overs, whilst Klassen scored 174 off 83 balls.

Back
Top Bottom