Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I know it's a bit 'if my auntie was my uncle' but anyone suggesting holding on to second place was fanciful should just let this sink in;
Hold on to two leads last week in home games against Northampton and Orient and hold on to two leads against relegation threatened Reading and we would now be second. Morale of this, get on the front foot when you have a lead and blow inferior opposition away. The buck stops with Buckingham and his unfathomable tactics - simple as that.
Hahahahaha

I know it's a bit 'if my auntie was my uncle' but anyone suggesting holding on to second place was fanciful should just let this sink in;
Hold on to two leads last week in home games against Northampton and Orient and hold on to two leads against relegation threatened Reading and we would now be second. Morale of this, get on the front foot when you have a lead and blow inferior opposition away. The buck stops with Buckingham and his unfathomable tactics - simple as that.

You may have a point, let’s see where we are in 11 games time before I hop on any Des out bus.

• React
Reactions: m
I know you keep saying it is as simple as that Dick, but it is clear that you are in the minority with that view, judging by the poll alone.

By the same token, nobody is denying that Buckingham is A FACTOR in our performance. Players not performing and doing stupid things/making individual mistakes is also costing us big time.....and thats before we get onto the wage-stealers who are supposedly not performing because they're sulking about the manager . . . .

Everyone, from top to bottom of the club needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, because many of them share the collective blame for our downturn.

I know you keep saying it is as simple as that Dick, but it is clear that you are in the minority with that view, judging by the poll alone.

By the same token, nobody is denying that Buckingham is A FACTOR in our performance. Players not performing and doing stupid things/making individual mistakes is also costing us big time.....and thats before we get onto the wage-stealers who are supposedly not performing because they're sulking about the manager . . . .

Everyone, from top to bottom of the club needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, because many of them share the collective blame for our downturn.

Perhaps it sounds like I'm over simplifying it but am I really ? We are talking about keeping a football out of the bloody net late on or putting a bit more pressure on some very ordinary opposition earlier on. Four absolutely winnable games when we had the momentum, it was all set up nicely. Long in, Burey out, Leigh up front, Brannagan operating from virtually the car park, Dale and Goodwin perform really well but don't get starts despite Harris desperately in need of a rest as Buckingham has often alluded to.

It's chaos. Complete chaos.

Out of interest, can one of the stato's confirm:

- Our xG under Manning vs our actual goals scored
- Our xGA under Manning vs actual goals conceded

- Our xG under Des vs our actual goals scored
- Our xGA under Des vs actual goals conceded

Thank you!
Had a quick look and these are the figures I got.

Manning
xG 20.83 (1.39 p/g) scored 29 = overperformance of around 40%
xGA 18.27 (1.22 p/g) conceded 14 = overperformance of around 25%

Buckingham
xG 25.62 (1.35 p/g) scored 26 = almost bang on, slight overperfomance
xGA 25.26 (1.33 p/g) conceded 29 = close again, just over 10% underperformance

Plenty of people have said that we were overperforming in terms of goals scored under Manning and it wasn't sustainable which is backed up here, as others have said relying on Leigh to score a goal a game was likely to end in tears. For what it's worth if everything went according to this Manning's xG would have us 8th and Buckingham's 10th. Doesn't factor in difficulty of opponent, players available etc of course.

Last edited:
Perhaps it sounds like I'm over simplifying it but am I really ? We are talking about keeping a football out of the bloody net late on or putting a bit more pressure on some very ordinary opposition earlier on. Four absolutely winnable games when we had the momentum, it was all set up nicely. Long in, Burey out, Leigh up front, Brannagan operating from virtually the car park, Dale and Goodwin perform really well but don't get starts despite Harris desperately in need of a rest as Buckingham has often alluded to.

It's chaos. Complete chaos.
I really think you are, yes.

Each of those individual examples you cite (defending properly, not attacking/applying pressure early on, Brannagans positioning - actually I think he was trying to protect a very shaky defence) - unless we know for certain that this is something that Buckingham has explicitly told them to do, then it IS down to players AND manager as a whole to work out why that happened.

I really think you are, yes.

Each of those individual examples you cite (defending properly, not attacking/applying pressure early on, Brannagans positioning - actually I think he was trying to protect a very shaky defence) - unless we know for certain that this is something that Buckingham has explicitly told them to do, then it IS down to players AND manager as a whole to work out why that happened.

You know how it works though, the manager will always carry the can and rightly so. The players are never going to step forward, they will always hide behind the manager - that's the nature of the beast. If he has explicitly given them instructions and they aren't executing those instructions then there's clearly a breakdown. Whichever way you turn, the buck will stop with Des.

You know how it works though, the manager will always carry the can and rightly so. The players are never going to step forward, they will always hide behind the manager - that's the nature of the beast. If he has explicitly given them instructions and they aren't executing those instructions then there's clearly a breakdown. Whichever way you turn, the buck will stop with Des.
And that last sentence of yours perfectly sums up your one-eyed vindictive view of a man struggling with circumstances beyond his control. When did he first rattle your cage?

I know you don’t grasp lower league football considering you are a massive armchair Man United fan but even by your standards Baldy you are making yourself sound more stupid by each post.

I see you chose to ignore the post about the facts of XG which shows we were over performing, this was also highlighted on the football league highlight show at the time.

It is fanciful if you thought we would keep up the form of 8 wins out of 10 all season.

I know you don’t grasp lower league football considering you are a massive armchair Man United fan but even by your standards Baldy you are making yourself sound more stupid by each post.

I see you chose to ignore the post about the facts of XG which shows we were over performing, this was also highlighted on the football league highlight show at the time.

It is fanciful if you thought we would keep up the form of 8 wins out of 10 all season.
Ssshhhh! He’s watching the Man Utd match on tele. …

Had a quick look and these are the figures I got.

Manning
xG 20.83 (1.39 p/g) scored 29 = overperformance of around 40%
xGA 18.27 (1.22 p/g) conceded 14 = overperformance of around 25%

Buckingham
xG 25.62 (1.35 p/g) scored 26 = almost bang on, slight overperfomance
xGA 25.26 (1.33 p/g) conceded 29 = close again, just over 10% underperformance

Plenty of people have said that we were overperforming in terms of goals scored under Manning and it wasn't sustainable which is backed up here, as others have said relying on Leigh to score a goal a game was likely to end in tears. For what it's worth if everything went according to this Manning's xG would have us 8th and Buckingham's 10th. Doesn't factor in difficulty of opponent, players available etc of course.

Not disputing the xG figures (and appreciate you are just replying to a query) but how did you calculate the 8th and 10th places?

If, for example, we beat Shrewsbury 3-0 with an xG of 1.04 for, and 0.82 against - did you put this as a 1-1 draw? Obviously in said scenario, had we not been 3 up then we may well have pushed for goals - increasing our xG.

In fact, if our 'excess' xG goals under Manning came against (for example) Exeter, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood - then those goals truly were excess - they didn't effect the result. If we scored 3 worldies from a low xG, it would be remiss to penalise Manning's xG for not pushing for more chances and increasing the xG - we didn't need to!

xG is good for analysing individual games, but if a team has scored 2 or 3 goals without knocking on the door relentlessly, why should they continue to try to?

It's a bit like the stats under KR last season - bossing possession against sides that were already cruising to victory against us.

If Manning and Buckingham had both been in charge for 3 or 4 games apiece, maybe the xG argument carries some weight.

But both have managed enough games to give the credit where it is due (and withhold where it isn't).

Even if that's uncomfortable for some to hear.

XG !!!!!! I don’t need XG to tell me what I’m seeing. Forget your XG for a minute, you tell me if I’m being wildly reckless in my thinking to suggest we should have seen off both Northampton and Orient last week and won both the Reading fixtures. Forget 8 out of 10, I’m pinpointing four fixtures where we had the games in the palm of our hand but chose to revert to an ultra defensive and pedestrian mindset that has ended up costing us an automatic position and very likely a play off place too.

You’ve been watching too much Sky and have got to entangled in stats. Are you not capable of watching a match and forming an opinion of what you’re seeing without flicking to your phone to see what the match stats annd XG are ? God help your Mrs, I bet when the moment comes it’s ’hold on darling, let me just have a quick look on my phone, you should have your right leg there, your left arm there …..’

A fan bamboozled by stats to try and reverse the blindingly obvious.

XG !!!!!! I don’t need XG to tell me what I’m seeing. Forget your XG for a minute, you tell me if I’m being wildly reckless in my thinking to suggest we should have seen off both Northampton and Orient last week and won both the Reading fixtures. Forget 8 out of 10, I’m pinpointing four fixtures where we had the games in the palm of our hand but chose to revert to an ultra defensive and pedestrian mindset that has ended up costing us an automatic position and very likely a play off place too.

You’ve been watching too much Sky and have got to entangled in stats. Are you not capable of watching a match and forming an opinion of what you’re seeing without flicking to your phone to see what the match stats annd XG are ? God help your Mrs, I bet when the moment comes it’s ’hold on darling, let me just have a quick look on my phone, you should have your right leg there, your left arm there …..’

A fan bamboozled by stats to try and reverse the blindingly obvious.

The most random comparison ever there, between XG and sex, Dick just went full Baldy.

OUFC Managers ranked by points per game
Permanent managers only from Ron Saunders to date
Does not include any caretaker matches for these managers
League games only
*WORKING ON 3 POINTS FOR A WIN
ManagerPLWDLWIN %PointsPPG*
Jim Smith228113625349.64011.76
Ron Saunders1263350.0211.75
Liam Manning25127648.0431.72
Chris Wilder234108626446.23861.65
Ian Greaves4117141041.5651.59
Michael Appleton13859394042.82161.57
Ramon Diaz25107840.0371.48
Ian Atkins11043333439.11621.47
Karl Robinson22288567839.63201.44
Mick Brown15149566632.52031.34
Denis Smith23487509737.23111.33
Pep Clotet291081134.5381.31
Gerry Summers26183809831.83291.26
Des Buckingham1857627.8221.22
Malcolm Shotton7922302727.8961.22
Brian Horton22067609330.52611.19
Bill Asprey7119203226.8771.08
Brian Talbot358131422.9371.06
Maurice Evans11527355323.51161.01
Mark Wright1947821.1191.00
Graham Rix26671323.1250.96
Mark Lawrenson21481119.0200.95
David Kemp28631921.4210.75
Gary Wwaddock810712.530.38
Malcolm Crosby40130.010.25
Not including any games as caretaker manager

OUFC Managers ranked by points per game
Permanent managers only from Ron Saunders to date
Does not include any caretaker matches for these managers
League games only
*WORKING ON 3 POINTS FOR A WIN
ManagerPLWDLWIN %PointsPPG*
Jim Smith228113625349.64011.76
Ron Saunders1263350.0211.75
Liam Manning25127648.0431.72
Chris Wilder234108626446.23861.65
Ian Greaves4117141041.5651.59
Michael Appleton13859394042.82161.57
Ramon Diaz25107840.0371.48
Ian Atkins11043333439.11621.47
Karl Robinson22288567839.63201.44
Mick Brown15149566632.52031.34
Denis Smith23487509737.23111.33
Pep Clotet291081134.5381.31
Gerry Summers26183809831.83291.26
Des Buckingham1857627.8221.22
Malcolm Shotton7922302727.8961.22
Brian Horton22067609330.52611.19
Bill Asprey7119203226.8771.08
Brian Talbot358131422.9371.06
Maurice Evans11527355323.51161.01
Mark Wright1947821.1191.00
Graham Rix26671323.1250.96
Mark Lawrenson21481119.0200.95
David Kemp28631921.4210.75
Gary Wwaddock810712.530.38
Malcolm Crosby40130.010.25
Not including any games as caretaker manager
I think Malcom Crosby was only ever a caretaker manager.

What the raw stats don't show however is the nuance of the jobs some of these people did. Brian Horton, for instance, was in charge just after Mark Lawrenson left the club and during the period when Maxwell fell off his boat - the club were in severe money problems at the time, yet he still managed to keep us in what is now The Championship year after year with a side playing some bloody good (if inconsistent) football. Maurice Evans was our manager during our stay in the top flight - keeping us up twice and winning a major trophy is up there with anything any Oxford manager has managed to achieve. We would have qualified for Europe if English clubs hadn't been banned at the time.

Back
Top Bottom