General Fans Forum 12/12/2022

Whilst I appreciate League position is key to getting promotion etc I think the below gives a bit more balance to progress;

16/17 - P 46 Pts 69 PPG 1.50 (Appleton)
17/18 - P 46 Pts 56 PPG 1.22 (Appleton)
18/19 - P 46 Pts 60 PPG 1.30 (Clotet/Robinson)
19-20 - P 35 Pts 60 PPG 1.71 (Robinson)
20-21 - P 46 Pts 74 PPG 1.61 (Robinson)
21-22 - P 46 Pts 76 PPG 1.65 (Robinson)
22-23 - P 21 Pts 26 PPG 1.24 (Robinson)

No hiding that this season hasn't been good to this point but signs that we are improving now we have all bar Baldock back available for selection.
Quite a bit of revisionism going on there.
Appleton last season was 16/17. The 18/19 season was Robinsons first full season.

Quite a bit of revisionism going on there.
Appleton last season was 16/17. The 18/19 season was Robinsons first full season.
16/17 - P 46 Pts 69 PPG 1.50 (Appleton)
17/18 - P 46 Pts 56 PPG 1.22 (Clotet/Robinson)
18/19 - P 46 Pts 60 PPG 1.30 (Robinson)
19-20 - P 35 Pts 60 PPG 1.71 (Robinson)
20-21 - P 46 Pts 74 PPG 1.61 (Robinson)
21-22 - P 46 Pts 76 PPG 1.65 (Robinson)
22-23 - P 21 Pts 26 PPG 1.24 (Robinson)

The op`s point is still valid if you can accept that season 18/19 needed a rebuild after Clotet.

Surely it’s the opposite. After five years expectations have risen, for which Robinson deserves credit, and people are getting fed up we’re not making the next step, which is fair enough.
Missing the point here. What's happened is that folk were expecting more but, those expectations have dropped with the poor recruitment, the number of crocked players and the poor run of results. Expectations should be higher. We should be higher placed in the league. We should have enjoyed a string of good results against a number of teams.
The expectation of many now, is a mid table finish. (some have lower expectations)
After 5 years of rinse and repeat, folk are fed up and tired of being taken for a ride by KR.

Every team has a bad transfer window Liverpool this year. Man Utd for alot of seasons .This one will be better.

Can’t see how people are pinning there hopes on our strong 2nd half’s of previous seasons.
Well fell away the last quarter of last season.
There’s promise in the last few weeks, but not enough wins to suggest a push.
We’ve had promise for the last couple of seasons, but never had the direction to see it through

Missing the point here. What's happened is that folk were expecting more but, those expectations have dropped with the poor recruitment, the number of crocked players and the poor run of results. Expectations should be higher. We should be higher placed in the league. We should have enjoyed a string of good results against a number of teams.
The expectation of many now, is a mid table finish. (some have lower expectations)
After 5 years of rinse and repeat, folk are fed up and tired of being taken for a ride by KR.
I think the point was that surely some credit should go to Robinson for us even have expectations every year to be promoted. We expected to be up there challenging for the top 2 at the start of the season partly down to the last 3 seasons being in and around the play offs continually.
Before Robinson we had Appleton get us out of league 1 and stabilise us in league 1 but it was seen more as a bonus if we made the play offs. Then we had Clotet and it was merely a pipe dream that he would get us in the play offs. In fact at the time it was seen as a bonus if we just stayed in league 1.
Like him or not Robinson has built teams that have been challenging which has raised what we as fans expect.
He has made plenty of mistakes and plenty of them this season but I do feel with this new board we will see a more measured window.

This thing about us having a better second half of the season makes my blood boil. If we weren’t inept up to January we’d get promoted, but we’re pinning all our hopes on squeezing into the playoffs.
We need a professional football manager with a track record of promotion.
KR seems to have hypnotised the board again.

Can’t believe Fred, maybe a mate of Charles (aka Reggie) caused 2 pages of debate with a ridiculous ad hoc and stupid comment. Surely we can all see Fred is another wind up merchant on here?

I think the point was that surely some credit should go to Robinson for us even have expectations every year to be promoted. We expected to be up there challenging for the top 2 at the start of the season partly down to the last 3 seasons being in and around the play offs continually.
Before Robinson we had Appleton get us out of league 1 and stabilise us in league 1 but it was seen more as a bonus if we made the play offs. Then we had Clotet and it was merely a pipe dream that he would get us in the play offs. In fact at the time it was seen as a bonus if we just stayed in league 1.
Like him or not Robinson has built teams that have been challenging which has raised what we as fans expect.
He has made plenty of mistakes and plenty of them this season but I do feel with this new board we will see a more measured window.
Seems to me that some folk want us to be grateful that KR has failed.

Can’t believe Fred, maybe a mate of Charles (aka Reggie) caused 2 pages of debate with a ridiculous ad hoc and stupid comment. Surely we can all see Fred is another wind up merchant on here?
I didn't make a stupid comment and I think we have progressed on the pitch over the last five years. Obviously last season we didn't get into the playoffs so we went backwards slightly. I think the phrase was we haven't made progress on the pitch over the last 5 years.

According to Karl it was a good summer window.

In fairness, he’s not going to say anything else is he?

Say it went badly and it’s an admission of failure and sends a bad message to the players he brought in. He has to spin it to keep the camp positive.

We know it was a turd of a transfer window and we should include contract extensions to that as well. Unfocused, deviated from ‘the model’, gambles on injury prone players and too many players gone up over the age of 30.

We can call it out. KR won’t though even if he thinks it and knows it.

In fairness, he’s not going to say anything else is he?

Say it went badly and it’s an admission of failure and sends a bad message to the players he brought in. He has to spin it to keep the camp positive.

We know it was a turd of a transfer window and we should include contract extensions to that as well. Unfocused, deviated from ‘the model’, gambles on injury prone players and too many players gone up over the age of 30.

We can call it out. KR won’t though even if he thinks it and knows it.
He could say it could and possibly should have been better.

Well KR has set the ball rolling with his usual rhetoric. He’s ‘working round the clock’ 🙄

We shall see if his tireless efforts see the arrival of one or two useful additions early in the window or whether it’ll be another case of a mad and, ultimately, fruitless scramble at the 11th hour on the last day of the window. Again.

Bottom line is that Robinson will be staying until the summer so for now the Karl United or OUFC debate is pointless. We only have one OUFC and (I think) we all want it to succeed. It's now about getting the best out of the players we have, and adding quality to the areas that need it the most. Both with the aim to get us as high up the league as possible. If that means playoffs, then great. If not then decisions will be made in the summer and we go through this whole thing again then!
Of course it’s all speculation but not so sure of that myself.

My hunch is that by the end of March we’ll be out of the play off picture and a new manager will come in at that point. If the play offs become unlikely the board won’t want the season to drift; they’ll give a new manager the chance to assess the squad. Also if we leave a new manager appointment until the summer then that could affect the transfer window, some players won’t sign until they know who the new manager is.

I’ve been quite impressed that Tim Williams has repeatedly said the play offs are still the aim. I think 2 seasons out of the playoffs will be the trigger for Robinson to lose his job.

It amazes me how many posters get so easily triggered by what Robinson or others say. "The recruitment team are working round the clock." Of course they are, that's their job!

But that doesn't mean that everyone identified will arrive, or arrive by a predetermined date that some deem as necessary for "doing our business early". It purely means that the foundations are being set and that's the absolute minimum we should expect.

We've already completed one deal in Stephan Negru, which may not set the world alight but does maintain our record of bringing development players in for the following season. The rest, we'll have to see. But if you're stressing about what Robinson says today I fear it's going to be a very long 5 weeks ahead!!

Back
Top Bottom