General Greatest Ever OUFC Player

Most Standout Player of Their Generation (3 Votes)

• Cameron Brannagan

• James Constable

• Jim Magilton

• Joey Beauchamp

• John Aldridge

• John Lundstrum

• Kemar Roofe

• Matt Elliott

• Paul Simpson

• Trevor Hebbard

• Graham Atkinson

• Ray Houghton

• Ron Atkinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apart from Mark Wright (who I played against, but never saw play for us), there are only two OUFC players I've seen who could have played for England. Joey. And Trevor Hebberd. If you've never seen Hebberd play, you've no idea how good he was. He would be up against established England midfield players in the (old) Division One, and he would frequently run the whole game.
Of course David Bardsley went on to play for England after leaving us. Good player.

John Aldridge is the stand out candidate really, a goal machine.

But I only saw him a couple of times so from late very late eighties onwards Matt Elliot for me, was a premier league standard player playing 1/2 levels below.

So it’s John Aldridge overall and Elliot since I have been regularly watching.

Matt Elliott and Joey for me. Both a pleasure to watch.

With respect to Joey Beauchamp, Trevor Hebberd was on a different level to him -virtually the complete footballer. The Oxford player who I think had the highest ceiling though was Jamie Brookes - unfortunately we never truly got to find out.
My first OUFC game was in 1962 and I think Trevor Hebberd the finest player I've seen in the great yellow shirt. Likewise, as per you Dick, with due respects to Joey.

As a newbie to Oxford Utd the player I would have loved to have seen most was Joey Beauchamp. The clips on YouTube are astonishing. As a palace fan we had Ray Houghton for a while and he absolutely oozed class even though he was probably 74 by the time he came to us.

Aldridge though. What a player. Loved him for losing his s**t in the World Cup in 1994.

Greatest player doesn't necessarily mean best player, so John Shuker should get a mention.

Beauchamp, Houghton, Elliott, Aldridge, Hebberd.

Not necessarily in that order.

Favourite player undoubtedly Joey.

Define "greatest".

Greatest by "pure talent" - Trevor H
Greatest by "one of ours" - Joey
Greatest by "natural goal scorer" - John A
Greatest by "they shall not pass" - Gary Briggs
Greatest by "wind up merchant" - Chris Maguire
Greatest by "financial value" - Matty Elliott
Greatest by "fan engagement" - Super Kevin Francis
Greatest by "having a chat & a pint" - Paul Moody

So it goes on...............

Last edited:
Houghton, Aldridge and Hebberd were top draw.

But for me the greatest is Joey. He was a ball boy at wembley, loved Oxford United like we do, gave us magic time and time again, sacrificed his happiness to save the club, went to our bitter rivals and then came home. He made a habit of destroying top full backs and I can’t remember getting so excited when a player received the ball than I did with Joey. He also tried to pull my girlfriend in 5th avenue. I felt very fortunate to have watched him. LEGEND.

The mid eighties was certainly a very special time to be watching Oxford for all the great players we had.

I can’t argue against any of the nominees thus far, but must add one that hasn’t been mentioned.

Billy Hamilton. He was a joy to watch, and with John Aldridge made an awesome duo.

Back
Top Bottom