General Greatest Ever OUFC Player

Most Standout Player of Their Generation (3 Votes)

• Cameron Brannagan

• James Constable

• Jim Magilton

• Joey Beauchamp

• John Aldridge

• John Lundstrum

• Kemar Roofe

• Matt Elliott

• Paul Simpson

• Trevor Hebbard

• Graham Atkinson

• Ray Houghton

• Ron Atkinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Greatest OUFC player ever? Now theres a question, don't think there's one definitive I could pick

Heres some OUFC players Ive enjoyed watching play( in different eras) in no particular order of preference- off the top of my head on a cold Thursday morning ( so I'll no doubt omit a few unintentionally)

Big Ron ( The Tank) Atkinson - a true leader on the pitch, the best manager we never had

Jimmy Barron- my all time favourite Keeper

Colin 'Flash' Harrington - quick left winger, when he went on a run towards the London road end the gate by the corner flag was left open as he'd run out of pitch at times

Dave Roberts- superb footballing defender, we had him playing during our rise from old div 4 to old Div 2 in 7 seasons

Graham Atkinson- ALL Time top scorer

Trevor Hebbard- when he played well, the team played well

Hughie Curran- prolific goal scoring striker who was more than a bit of a shithouse

John Aldrige- predatory goal scorer during the glory years

Billy Hamiton - Aldridge's strike partner, how many assists for Aldos goals? weighed in with a few goals of his own too

Joey Beauchamp- one of our own, 100% Oxford United

Chris Maguire - the ultimate shithouse, could play a bit too

James Constable- should have beaten Graham Atkinson's all time record, but for the FA expunging the game v Chester from the record books

Chicken George Lawrence- fans favourite , would beat defenders with ease, then often beat himself

Kemar Roofe- when he was 'on fire', wearing his magic hat , wow!

Matty Elliott- a football playing centre back in an era when footballing centre backs were unfashionable

John Shuker - gave 8/10 performances pretty much every game he played

there will be others Ive not mentioned too

Last edited:
Greatest OUFC player ever? Now theres a question, don't think there's one definitive I could pick

Heres some OUFC players Ive enjoyed watching play( in different eras) in no particular order of preference- off the top of my head on a cold Thursday morning ( so I'll no doubt omit a few unintentionally)

Big Ron ( The Tank) Atkinson - a true leader on the pitch, the best manager we never had

Colin 'Flash' Harrington - quick left winger, when he went on a run towards the London road end the gate by the corner flag was left open as he'd run out of pitch at times

Dave Roberts- superb footballing defender, we had him playing during our rise from old div 4 to old Div 2 in 7 seasons

Hughie Curran- prolific goal scoring striker who was more than a bit of a shithouse

Billy Hamiton - Aldridge's strike partner, how many assists for Aldos goals? weighed in with a few goals of his own too

James Constable- should have beaten Graham Atkinson's all time record, but for the FA expunging the game v Chester from the record books

Chicken George Lawrence- fans favourite , would beat defenders with ease, then often beat himself

Matty Elliott- a football playing centre back in an era when footballing centre backs were unfashionable

You forgot, E for B and CASSIDY....................

Dave Roberts only played Div 2 for us I think , absolutely class player so I've been told .
Maybe thinking of Colin Clarke ?

Dave Roberts only played Div 2 for us I think , absolutely class player so I've been told .
Maybe thinking of Colin Clarke ?
100% deffo Dave Roberts (one of my first fave players) in my list of Favourite players ... Nobby Clarke a was decent CB

Define "greatest".

Greatest by "pure talent" - Trevor H
Greatest by "one of ours" - Joey
Greatest by "natural goal scorer" - John A
Greatest by "they shall not pass" - Gary Briggs
Greatest by "wind up merchant" - Chris Maguire
Greatest by "financial value" - Matty Elliott
Greatest by "fan engagement" - Super Kevin Francis
Greatest by "having a chat & a pint" - Paul Moody

So it goes on...............
According to Merriam-Webster, “great” means large in size. So, Jemson? gabbiadini?

100% deffo Dave Roberts (one of my first fave players) in my list of Favourite players ... Nobby Clarke a was decent CB
Let's not forget the late, great Maurice Kyle and Colin Booth (still with us ). Younger posters will not have heard of them, but memorable names none the less. Gave us the springboard to where we are today.

Let's not forget the late, great Maurice Kyle and Colin Booth (still with us ). Younger posters will not have heard of them, but memorable names none the less. Gave us the springboard to where we are today.
Cyril Beavon too

Have added a poll but think given the different level and styles of football, I have worded it for people to pick their top 3 standout players of the teams they played in, not so much the most talented overall.

I got asked today by an Everton fan who we see as our greatest all time player.

It is obviously subjective to the era they played but who would people say is our out and out all time great?

In my time supporting the club it would have to be Joey but you obviously have the players in the 80’s.

He thought it would be John Aldridge but I’d maybe put Ray Houghton above him.

I guess he said his was Kevin Brock 😕

Have added a poll but think given the different level and styles of football, I have worded it for people to pick their top 3 standout players of the teams they played in, not so much the most talented overall.
No Ray Houghton!!

Very glad to see Sarge include Dave Roberts - a superb defender who could score vital goals as well. And pleased to Harrington and Shuker there as well. But Aldridge and Houghton are obviously a class above.

Gary Briggs - untouchable, the hardest ever to play for the U's, weighed in with a few goals too. Of his era , wouldn't last 5 mins in today's football- mind you, cant recall him ever talking back to any referee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom