Ex Player Herbie Kane

It has to be said that any player not moving the ball on when in such a precarious position is asking for trouble. He may well be out of position but, he is still a player and part of the team, should have the knowledge within his skill package to know better.

At mistake for the first goal today, but how many times do we have to say it. He's not a holding midfielder and is constantly being played out of position due to us not signing one in January.

Brilliant league one midfielder when played higher up.

At mistake for the first goal today, but how many times do we have to say it. He's not a holding midfielder and is constantly being played out of position due to us not signing one in January.

Brilliant league one midfielder when played higher up.
But are you prepared to take that chance next season? I would send him back and look elsewhere and just hope Robinson doesn’t f**k uo in the transfer window especially with a Gorrin type of player.

Those defending him have a point, but his mistakes aren’t due to him being played out of position. His general decline has certainly coincided with his positional shift, but that doesn’t excuse him from an array of individual mistakes that have lead to goals or have out us under pressure.

They’re caused by overplaying, not missing tackles or poor positioning, which would have more relevance to his ill-suited CDM role.

Talented, but he really has screwed up too often when we needed him to really show us what lurks just out of view.

Those defending him have a point, but his mistakes aren’t due to him being played out of position. His general decline has certainly coincided with his positional shift, but that doesn’t excuse him from an array of individual mistakes that have lead to goals or have out us under pressure.

They’re caused by overplaying, not missing tackles or poor positioning, which would have more relevance to his ill-suited CDM role.

Talented, but he really has screwed up too often when we needed him to really show us what lurks just out of view.
Spot on. He is a mature, experienced player and should know better. His excuse to KR, who made it clear that Kane had been told not to dwell on the ball was, that he (Kane) had a stiff thigh and couldn't kick the ball.

The number quoted for Herbie to make his loan spell permanent was 900k (I think that's what Scotchegg said).

Whilst I think he is a good player, and could potentially be even better playing further forward with a proper holding midfielder in behind him, I just can't see that he's worth that.

If we have that sort of money to spend, I think we could use it more wisely.

Yes one of the most creative players we have had, played as a deep lying holding defensive midfielder because recruitment was wrong last Summer and in January.

Would love him to stay and be played in the right hole.

Who’s fault is that 🤔 the manager who likes to fit square pegs into round holes all the time & who hasn’t learnt anything from last season’s playoffs defeat to Blackpool 🤦‍♂️ never addressed the areas in the squad where it needed better organisation & physical element to the team instead we have technically gifted players who get blown over by the wind from Kane Sykes & McGuane constantly

Kane poor form started at Lincoln away when he got sent off & bottled making challenges after that, I don’t remember him losing the ball so easily like he has done recently compared to the 1st half of the season playing in the same position (number 6 role DCM)

Spot on. He is a mature, experienced player and should know better. His excuse to KR, who made it clear that Kane had been told not to dwell on the ball was, that he (Kane) had a stiff thigh and couldn't kick the ball.
Excuses. I’m sure he could have done something other than dwell on the ball even if it’s just a short pass to a teammate. If he was that bad why did Robbo not replace sooner?

Who’s fault is that 🤔 the manager who likes to fit square pegs into round holes all the time & who hasn’t learnt anything from last season’s playoffs defeat to Blackpool 🤦‍♂️ never addressed the areas in the squad where it needed better organisation & physical element to the team instead we have technically gifted players who get blown over by the wind from Kane Sykes & McGuane constantly
Yes I know whose fault it is. Albeit Karl was quick to suggest others off the pitch shared blame for our season in the post match interview

Kane is not a defensive player. He's being asked to play that role, whilst his attributes and technical ability are better suited elsewhere on the pitch.

Throwing him out, whilst recognising that, is rather short sighted

We've had another good season. But nocup runs and let's be honest most fans always felt we would fall short. I Love Karl but he loves to win nicely once again we lost to a team who are bigger and stronger it's ok having a few nice footballers we've got alot we never learnt from last year. A very good friend of the family is John Rudge he worked with Tony Pulis for quite a while he loved big strong players. Our midfield has been too small. He's showed to much loyalty to the players Mous should have been taken out of the squad in January ,Win all should have been got rid of in January I would have rather kept Dan. Hanson out of the squad big decisions had to be made in January and they weren't sadly Karl is running out of time . Sykes is not strong enough and that will be proved where he goes next . We need strength in the middle. I thank the board for the support and another good season but let's hope next year is better

Kane is not a defensive player. He's being asked to play that role, whilst his attributes and technical ability are better suited elsewhere on the pitch.

Throwing him out, whilst recognising that, is rather short sighted

Not sure about that. While recognising that he was being played in the wrong place, his poor passing (on Tuesday he was particularly poor in the first half, for example), inability to release the ball quickly (so he frequently gets caught in possession) and lack of footballing nous (just get rid of the bloody thing, don't fanny about with it two minutes before halftime!) would be just as poor wherever he was doing it on the pitch. In the early part of the season, I though he looked like a gifted player who was unfit and not match sharp - but did *some* good things. I hoped with fitness and games he would get better. I don't think he has - too many passes to nobody, dawdling and silly little flicks that lose possession.

He isn't our player, of course, so not ours to decide if we keep him unless we try to buy him. I do worry that any increase in budget will be spent on retaining players like Kane (Holland, Whyte) who look good at times but actually don't deliver consistently enough - we might end up spending more money and staying still, at best.

No. We are saying he was played out of position and didn't shine there (I think there is no arguing that), and discussing whether he would be worth paying a lot of money to have back next season. I don't think one person has said our 'flopping' is solely because of him?

Edit - and as a matter of accuracy, he has played one other season in League 1. So I am not sure how he can have been the best player 'season after season'?

Last edited:
Fair enough. I have absolutely no doubt that he will go back to Barnsley Mowatt style and run the show.

I think more than anything it's a complete waste of a talented player that's so frustrating.

Sorry but this talk of Kane being an attacking midfielder is nonsense. Played a whole 5 games there in his senior career, and his goal and assist returns bear this out. He's a CM, a talented ball player on his day, but rather reliant on his partner doing all the running and tackling. For his lack of size he's extremely slow and clunky - the complete opposite of our other undersized midfielder, CamBran, who is quick, tenacious and agile.

He's clearly not a bad player, but for the amount we've spent on him to have him here this season I would have expected a fair bit more, and absolutely think we can find a better midfielder next season that's more suited to the way KR likes to play .

Back
Top Bottom